#21 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Full Name:Don Mueller

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Pretty much have the chassis and body mods worked out. Here is the latest mockup.

gallery_5771_956_15315.jpg

Got some paint on the body. This was a long process, since the seven coats of clear were done with rattle cans.

gallery_5771_956_35072.jpg

I used Silver Flash Krylon Glitter Blast. Then I smothered those huge flakes with seven coats of Folkart clearcoat. Both of these were bought at Michaels with 40% & 50% off coupons.

med_gallery_5771_956_7904.jpg

I also needed some drag chutes, so as long as I had one , I made a couple of copies. I used a simple open faced mold made by pressing the original chute into some silly putty that I got at a $ store.

gallery_5771_956_31581.jpg

This time I used some resin for the parts. Worked a lot better than the super glue that I used the last time, since it dried in an hour and was easier to clean up.

gallery_5771_956_27.jpg

#22 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

cool !!!! and that way of copying parst is very interesting !! , thnx for sharing

#23 57lover

57lover

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Full Name:Trenton Gagne

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

could you fill me in on how you made the chutes? its supper cool

#24 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

Not exactly sure what info you need 57lover. SillyPutty is a commercial brand for a putty-like kid's toy that is made from white glue and liquid starch. I flattened a chunk to about a 1/2 inch thickness. I depressed the original chute into the putty, detail side down, and fished it out carefully with a hobby knife. I used two-part casting resin for the parts. I have successfully used two-part epoxy and super glue in the past. The casting resin just sets up faster, super glue can take days to set, and has less clean up.

This was an exercise in learning new paint techniques. So I got stupid today and hauled out my $5 HF airbrush. I have owned it for at least 6 years. Until today, I only used it once, 4 years ago, because I hate cleaning it. The taping was an unexpected success. My skill with the air brush wasn't even close. That's Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow and black. Tried doing a fade. Had no control (skill) and mucked it up pretty good.

This is the taping for the silver areas. Anything covered in blue tape will remain silver.

gallery_5771_956_61123.jpg

All the silver areas, were painted with clear yellow, because I didn't have any kandy yellow.

gallery_5771_956_53484.jpg

Then I had to tape out the yellow and silver, so that I could spray the black.

gallery_5771_956_31597.jpg

I was in a poorly lit and cramped space with no experience, so the fade is rather poor. Removed all the tape and rattled canned four more coats of clear and it looked like this.

gallery_5771_956_22734.jpg

#25 Davewilly

Davewilly

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Wilmore

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Looks pretty cool to me...I like the paint combo

#26 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

One wild paint job! Looks just like the old school metal flake paint jobs.

#27 geordie

geordie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Full Name:David Stout

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Not exactly sure what info you need 57lover. SillyPutty is a commercial brand for a putty-like kid's toy that is made from white glue and liquid starch. I flattened a chunk to about a 1/2 inch thickness. I depressed the original chute into the putty, detail side down, and fished it out carefully with a hobby knife. I used two-part casting resin for the parts. I have successfully used two-part epoxy and super glue in the past. The casting resin just sets up faster, super glue can take days to set, and has less clean up.

This was an exercise in learning new paint techniques. So I got stupid today and hauled out my $5 HF airbrush. I have owned it for at least 6 years. Until today, I only used it once, 4 years ago, because I hate cleaning it. The taping was an unexpected success. My skill with the air brush wasn't even close. That's Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow and black. Tried doing a fade. Had no control (skill) and mucked it up pretty good.

This is the taping for the silver areas. Anything covered in blue tape will remain silver.

gallery_5771_956_61123.jpg

All the silver areas, were painted with clear yellow, because I didn't have any kandy yellow.

gallery_5771_956_53484.jpg

Then I had to tape out the yellow and silver, so that I could spray the black.

gallery_5771_956_31597.jpg

I was in a poorly lit and cramped space with no experience, so the fade is rather poor. Removed all the tape and rattled canned four more coats of clear and it looked like this.

gallery_5771_956_22734.jpg

I see you went for the sleeper look....lol

#28 ajshot58

ajshot58

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:Anthony Jay Snider

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Man, this thing is WAY beyond SICK!!!! A long time ago, I had a '66 Corv8.... it was a Monza with a Crown V8 conversion subframe, with a Hillborn injected L79 327... we extended the velocity stacks up through the roof, then put a Lexan scoop over them... it was bonded to the Lexan rear window..... that car was FUN!!! It would corner like it was glued to the road, and you could take a corner at 45mph, and barely chirp the tires!!!! I had to get rid of it... too many speeding tickets LOL!!!

#29 vintagercr

vintagercr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Martin

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Boy, that is looking cool. I learned to drive in a 61 and drove a 66 in HS. Still have a soft spot for them.

#30 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Surprised "you-know-who" hasn't said something on this thread yet.Love the paint by the way.

#31 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,091 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Very wild paint job !

#32 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

AJ, I too fantasized about building a Corv8. Somewhere along the line, I fell in love with the '66-'70 Eldo/Toro UPP (unitized power package in GM speak). This resulted in the twin-engined slalom car, described in reply #14, and UPP powered '69 Beetle, '67 912 Porsche, Deserter GT, and rear engined '93 Dodge Daytona IROC.

Don't know how we missed a UPP Corvair. It would be much more practical, with a rear seat, and probably outperform most Corv8.

Along the way there was also a 140 hp Corvair powered Isetta

Edited by wisdonm, 10 January 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#33 bondo bill

bondo bill

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Full Name:bill ingreham

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

i like where you're going with this- nadar would be appalled

#34 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Don, it looks like an old Bass boat, I love it! Who needs subtle when you've got two monster motors!

#35 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Insane, I dig it. Looking at your last mockup, I think it looks better than the Hairy Olds. I'm not quite sold on the paint job. Why dont you post a mock up now? I feel maybe seeing the overall concept might tone down that flake a bit. Any plans for decals?

#36 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

Oh yes. I have decal ideas.

I do think that I have finished the interior. Scratch built things like 2 Sun tachs, console, fire extinguisher, parachute release lever, if you look real close, you can see the return spring beneath the blue cable, trans and throttle cables for rear engine, Moon Big Foot pedals for both gas and brakes, and a Plastic Jesus and Madonna. After all, it is unsafe at any speed.

gallery_5771_956_4499.jpg

gallery_5771_956_21297.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHf7TD4qwjk

gallery_5771_956_3777.jpg

Sadly, the Plastic Jesus hit the windshield and had to be re-located to the console.

med_gallery_5771_956_18677.jpg

#37 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

the detail is awsome , and the paint > whow bling bling

#38 mountaindewd

mountaindewd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Full Name:Les

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:04 AM

Looking really cool! Nice paint.

Had a good laugh at this phrase.

"Sadly, the Plastic Jesus hit the windshield and had to be re-located...."

Decking the rear window area, think Fiero, would've looked cool.

#39 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I thought the Plastic Jesus was original. However, since no one seems impressed, have you guys seen this done before?

#40 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

No, and I'm wondering where you found it, I'm sure the lowrider guys have used 'em before, but seeing that I don't look at many lowriders, I've never seen one!

Edited by Custom Mike, 12 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.