#61 VERNON

VERNON

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:vernon philip hayden

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Sjoberg....Found one more source.  Look in the resin & aftermarket section of this forum, there is a post from yesterday listed as best radiator hose.  The company name is protech and has some good reviews.

Good luck, Vernon

#62 Hayabusa

Hayabusa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Full Name:Stefan Sj÷berg

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Thanks, Vernon.

#63 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

P.S. Word is at least one aftermarketer is doing Baker decals for this car as well. :) 

Contact me if you need info on Baker decals for the 1/16 kit.

#64 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I always cut my masking material into thin strips about a millimeter wide using a piece of glass and steel straightedge. That makes the tape go round the curves easily. After masking off the blue, I spray my base white, then go round with another mm strip of mask before the STP red. Try it, I think you'll like it. :) 

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try!

#65 Jim_Kampmann

Jim_Kampmann

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Kampmann

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

RB Motion makes 1/16th fittings:

http://www.rbmotion....ute=common/home

Jim Kampmann

#66 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I was impressed enough by this thing as the street machine, and that kit was eviscerated, relatively, compared to this one. Can't wait, and the decision to skip the clear plastic on the body is sitting better and better with me, more I think about it.

#67 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I was impressed enough by this thing as the street machine, and that kit was eviscerated, relatively, compared to this one. Can't wait, and the decision to skip the clear plastic on the body is sitting better and better with me, more I think about it.

You're right to think that way. The clear plastic bodies were brittle and tough to deal with, often cracking while installing to the chassis. It can be done but it's exceptionally tricky. The switch also helps the originals retain thier full collectible value.

#68 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

Can anyone post a pic of the decals? Is the red on the sides part of them ?

#69 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

I've never seen the appeal of a clear body on a kit...kind of a cheesy gimmick, IMO.   Sounds like a neat kit, though. 

Nice, smooth,  glossy finish every time, even if you use lousy paint and an even lousier brush. Just paint the inside of the body. B)

#70 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I love the clear body's. I collect them. I was really looking forward to this issue.

#71 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,969 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

And there's the rub! My question to Polar Lights would be- If MPC could do it clear back in 1974, why with the advances that have been made can't a quality clear body be done now?

Why not go directly to the source and ask your friends who work there?

"My friends at Polar Lights are working their tails off to bring us all the best models and extras they can, and they'll continue to do so. Thumbsup to Jamie, Doug, Suzanne and the rest of the staff!  B)"

#72 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

FYI:  The soon-to-be-reissued 1/16 Nascar Petty Charger kits will be on their way to America soon, but a new announcement regarding this reissue has just been released; the following message is from the manufacturer:

"The MPC-767 1/16 Petty Charger kit has been molded with an opaque "Petty Blue" body as opposed to a clear body. After several attempts using various types of plastics and injection tricks, we were not able to achieve the quality or durability we needed in order to do the kit with a clear body. The age of the tooling along with the recent backdating work we had to do were the reasons. We had to make the decision to mold the body in Petty blue instead, which is reflected in the updated packaging. The chassis/motor/interior parts are molded in grey, similar to the original kit."

Jacen got the exact same response, not necessarily in the same words as the above. The question was asked and the press style response was what was given. Maybe Jacen could have presented the statement in different wordage so as not to confuse you?

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 18 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#73 Bad Apple

Bad Apple

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Sherman

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

Does anyone know if Buddy Baker decals are gonna be made for this kit in the aftermarket? I checked over on slixx site but didn't anything listed.

#74 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Bad Apple,

Regarding Buddy Baker decals, see the Dave Van post on the previous page, (page 4), here.

#75 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

140.jpg1_53e956f7ee05377640fa207fb7599ba8.jpg332042751_tp.jpgtamiya-lexus-lfa-full-view.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 19 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#76 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

The only one in the pics above I see that would be stressed during mounting is the Pearson GTO. The rest look like they go on easy, especially the dragster.

#77 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

$T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd4p,BQB56qJqgQ~~60_35.J

Must be something really hard to masterTM24230.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 19 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#78 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Round 2/AMT makes a large Star Trek Enterprise D kit in clear (for those of us that want to light it). It's quite a few pieces and the saucer sections are huge.  So size and detail couldn't be a reason for not using clear either.

The price on the clear Enterprise is about $50 though.

My guess is cost. Probably cheaper to mold it from light blue plastic and hit the sub $40 mark retail.

#79 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Cost and flexibility are only two of MANY issue when making a clear body kit. Please note that none of the more recent kits are near the size of the Petty Charger, not near the age of the Petty mold......that has been modified a number of times.  I have two friends in the industrial molding industry......both talk about how hard it would be to get a mold the size of the Petty kit to come out correct EVERY time.....which is what is required in mass production. Ten percent rejects would have raised the cost a bunch. 

I am thankful R2 spent the money to restore the kit......I'd take the kit in pink right now.......

#80 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Amen Dave! :lol: