97 replies to this topic

#61 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Cost and flexibility are only two of MANY issue when making a clear body kit. Please note that none of the more recent kits are near the size of the Petty Charger, not near the age of the Petty mold......that has been modified a number of times.  I have two friends in the industrial molding industry......both talk about how hard it would be to get a mold the size of the Petty kit to come out correct EVERY time.....which is what is required in mass production. Ten percent rejects would have raised the cost a bunch. 

I am thankful R2 spent the money to restore the kit......I'd take the kit in pink right now.......

#62 Plasticfanatic

Plasticfanatic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Perez

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I have built an original issue Petty Charger 1/16, it's simply an amazing kit, build it out of the box is a stunning and detailed model..add extra Detail pieces and you have a magnificent vintage NASCAR model. I will be ordering one of the reissue kits and build it again. I still have my original built Petty Charger in a glass case, it show it's age...BUT..STILL my favorite in my small collection...I even saved the original boxtop.

#63 ratnasty

ratnasty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Naylor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just got mine today here are some pics

DSCI1635-vi.jpg

DSCI1636-vi.jpg

DSCI1637-vi.jpg

Chuck

#64 ratnasty

ratnasty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Full Name:Chuck Naylor

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

sorry guys I just could not resist in an early April fools joke LOL

Chuck

DSCI1638-vi.jpg

DSCI1639-vi.jpg

DSCI1640-vi.jpg

#65 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

That was just wrong.......

Bob

#66 brad4321

brad4321

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Lawrence

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

I don't why so many are sweating the non clear body.  Tamiya and other companies make a great clear paint.  Easy.

But seriously, I would never build a model with a clear body.   Unless the actual car had a clear body.   But doing so would eliminate having to sweat the intimidating blue/red paint scheme.  I dread building this kit, but I'm going to have to.  *sigh*  It's maybe the prettiest Nascar car of all time.  I can't not build it.

#67 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Sears

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

looks like the MPC Street Charger- prob with a mix of that kit and General Lee?

#68 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

looks like the MPC Street Charger- prob with a mix of that kit and General Lee?

This kit is where the other two came from. That's why the Street Charger was a "One Run of Fun" reissue, to backdate the tool back to the original NASCAR kit negated the ability to do it again.

#69 hpiguy

hpiguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

What they should do is have someone pull a body made out of lexan for them and include it with the opaque body.

I'm also big into R/C and we have lexan shells for even 1/4 scale cars.

All it would take is to make a plug from one of the styrene bodies and duplicate it. Lexan is cheap and fast to work with.

Maybe someone after market could do that. Lexan comes out crystal clear with little to no defects and then we could have both. Opaque accurate body and a clear lexan shell that as well if we want to go that way for a bit.

#70 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I hope that the Petty car is a big hit.   The other Stock cars were the Hardees T bird and The Pontiac in 1/16 that I used to have- I forget who made them. If the Petty car goes well it would be nice to have those other nascars back also.  

I'd like to see as many as possible 1/8- 1/12- 1/16  kits come back. 

#71 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

The 2 T-Birds & 2 Pontiacs were AMT, but many said that were not all that accurate.

Definitely not as detailed as this one.

Pontiacs were 43 of King Richard & 75 of Neil Bonnet

Not sure who the second 'Bird was.

#72 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

OK, That was Before Neil I think

Neil had left RAMOHC Racing by the time the kit came out. He had gone to  a limited sched. The thing most folks forget is the #75 kit was announced at RCHTA as a Tim Richmond Old Milwaukee car!!  But the anti beer PC folks killed that one and the Speed car was filled in.

BTW....the kits are not well done. The Pontiac is salvageable but the TB is a mess. Body is all wrong. They have you cutting up the roll cage to make the body fit the chassis......just a mess.

#73 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

The new box is smaller ?

#74 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Looks like it is.

#75 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'm building a modded General Lee which is close to the same as this kit (Petty) engine wise and chassis wise.......I looked thru this thread and couldn't find it BUT   I read  somewhere about having to tweek the headers and header gaskets to make them fit the engine right so that when the engine is installed in the chassis  the headers won't touch the tie rod or some other chassis parts.  I wanted to get a little more detail on that..  if anyone knows? :)

I'm going to be ready soon to do the tweek but I want to figure out all my test fits and gluing so it goes smooth.  Plus that will help when I get to the Petty kit if it has the same tweek needed.. Thanks--

I remembered the AMT stock cars and how the T Bird was messed up-  I'm glad my memory went back that far-( *80's) I guess I'm doing pretty good!

And----  I'll buy any 1/16, 1/12, 1/8  Nascar kit--  a 1/8 kit would be beyond cool--- ( I know- they'll never make one) :(

#76 mikemopar70

mikemopar70

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Full Name:Michel Paquette

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

I just bought mine, and it's an excellent kit i was waiting to buy since a long time!!

Originals are merely unaffordable, and i don't like to work with the clear plastic body, because it's not the same as opaque polystyrene, it's harder and more difficult to work with ...

I've seen lots of patched t-tops bodywork ruined because clear plastic doesn't react the same to solvents, you can achieve this task correctly, but it requires more bodywork!

And this issue will allow modeler's to BUILD the famous NASCAR from the King, and will also keep the originals with the clear body valuable!

I'm impressed with the quality from a tool that age... And proud to finally have it in my lineup.. :wub:

#77 JMChladek

JMChladek

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Chladek

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Clear body would have been cool, but too much of a liability as I see it. AMT/Ertl a few years back was using a different plastic formula for clear parts from what I had seen before on one SF spacecraft model I was building (I believe they were testing a formula to use on a couple all clear SF ships they were designing for their Proshop line) and it seemed about as flexible as opaque styrene, but it had a weird side effect as when I painted and put a wash on the part, it warped. Only way to de-warp it was to gently brush it with some liquid glue on the backside. So I am thinking if Round 2 were to try and use THAT plastic formula and somebody were to try a half and half paintjob (half clear, half painted) the result would have been a warped mess.

One piece car bodies are an interesting bit of model kit engineering and require a bit of flex to de-mold properly compared to other kit parts with two piece molds and shallow draft angles. It was a miracle of modern engineering that MPC were able to offer those bodies in clear back then. I am not surprised with altered plastic formulas, changes in some of the ingredients and perhaps stricter EPA guidelines that such a formula for doing it would have been lost. We are talking 40 years of model kit engineering afterall with the ownership of MPC changing hands three times at least. Besides, 40 years ago we also were landing men on the moon and that is another thing we don't do anymore.

So, I will get my Petty Blue molded charger and I will enjoy building it. I've waited to get my hands on one of these for years and it sounds like the wait will be worth it.

#78 shafer

shafer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:clyde w shafer,II

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I have started on mine , I am working with a very snug test fit right now , before building the running gear and roll cage

DSCF4288-1_zps79868a7c.jpg

#79 brad4321

brad4321

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Lawrence

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

I'm about 90% done with this kit.  Tons of flash, and your knuckles end up raw from the endless puttying and sanding.  But what a fun fun kit.  The work is very rewarding.

So I have a question.  How are people executing this 3 color scheme?  The best advice I've seen is to paint the entire body white.  Then mask the white line and paint the blue and red.  I think this will work but there are some sharp curves that are tough to lay down.  Is there a masking product that will take such a sharp turn?  Ot do people have a better idea?

#80 Jason Burdette

Jason Burdette

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I got my first Petty Charger today. Got it home and opened and found the body is deformed at the back window. looks like the mold did not fill all the way, there is a big part of the rear package self missing from the car. Does Round 2 have a replacement policy like Revell. I need to get a new body for this kit.