97 replies to this topic

#81 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'd contact them....they may want it back to see why it happened. They should swap it out.

#82 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Polar lights does have a replacement policy here... http://round2models.com/replacement/

By the way, there is no package shelf in this car being a NASCAR stocker.

#83 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Maybe they should have stuck with the "clear" body ?

$T2eC16hHJGoE9nuQhoU0BQ5F!+g!uw~~60_35.J

#84 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Just got one of these home...gonna go take a look at the inside of the box...been a long wait for this kit to be reissued!
Oh...I paid $39.99 Canadian at my LHS.

#85 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Tony, be prepared to be blown away! This is 1973 kit technology you're looking at, and it is STILL one of the most technically accurate NASCAR models ever made. A friend of mine recently showed one to Richard out in Fontana and the King was blown away at how well the kit had been restored to it's original glory. :) 

#86 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Very impressed! Jack stands, clear valve cover and gauges, and on and on...this is going to be a fun one to build! There is some flash, but nothing that looks any worse than other kits. I'm pleased with my kit! So, is the Petty racing red from the NASCAR line of paints that came out a while back a good match for this? How about the Petty blue? I think I have a spray can of each left. I used them on my '92 Fan Appreciation Tour Pontiac I built a few years ago. I remember the red going on flat and rough but smoothed out with the gloss coats. The blue went on smooth and shiny.

#87 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Very impressed! Jack stands, clear valve cover and gauges, and on and on...this is going to be a fun one to build! There is some flash, but nothing that looks any worse than other kits. I'm pleased with my kit! So, is the Petty racing red from the NASCAR line of paints that came out a while back a good match for this? How about the Petty blue? I think I have a spray can of each left. I used them on my '92 Fan Appreciation Tour Pontiac I built a few years ago. I remember the red going on flat and rough but smoothed out with the gloss coats. The blue went on smooth and shiny.

Okay, several others are sure to jump in here, but i'll put this out there again. The racing colors were good paints if just a little misguided where Petty cars are concerned. Thier "Rocket red" was a near perfect match while thier two Petty Blues...not so much. Actually that's not correct either. The so called "modern" Petty Blue was near perfect as well. The "early" Petty Blue was way off the mark because it wasn't necessary. Petty Blue's formula has not changed one dram since it's second year. There were a few slight (very slight) variations in 1960/61 while they refined the formula. Remember Petty Blue came about by accident, as Richard mixed white and blue paints together, pretty much in a rush.

Once they got a chance to work at it Richard and Lee worked very hard to duplicate the "electric" blue they had come up with before. They finally did so and according to the King himself it has not changed since. Folks think it has because of pictures they've seen down through the years. What did change was factors like lighting, different cameras, different films and ever improving the cameras and films. You might not think so but a Kodak and a Polaroid will take two different pictures of the same subject, with the same brand of film. Take four different pictures of the same car and you will see four different tints of Petty Blue.

The modern Petty Blue from the race colors is very close. If you want exact matches I suggest going to your local auto store and have a three ounce bottle of -Corporation blue, Super Blue, Basin street blue, mixed and or put in a spray can. The Super and Basin colors are early seventies Dodge colors. Corporation is a 1970 Plymouth only color. I always ask for them by name and therefore have not commited numbers to memory.

For the STP red, it can be found at several online sites listed as Granatelli Red. If there' enough in the can your racing colors STP red should work fine.

If you need reference pictures I am a p.m. away. You might also wish to check Mike's decals for his superb Petty Charger decal set that includes the white striping as well as all the markings you'll ever need. ;) 

P.S. Most neons are inherently flat but the racing colors red does gloss easily. Should you run out of it before finishing the car (and you will) the current Testors racing red is the same paint. Model Master #2939. Tamiya #TS-23 blue is a close match for Petty Blue, but don't mix it with the racing colors and alot of guys use the Tamiya #TS-36 neon red, but it's too orange for my tastes.

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 30 March 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#88 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Chrysler's paint code for Petty Blue is TB3 ; this colour code dates back to 1962 .

As Magnum stated , its 'official' name was Super Blue (Dodge) and Basin Street Blue (Plymouth) , and became a regularly-available colour for 1972 .

#89 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Chrysler's paint code for Petty Blue is TB3 ; this colour code dates back to 1962 .

As Magnum stated , its 'official' name was Super Blue (Dodge) and Basin Street Blue (Plymouth) , and became a regularly-available colour for 1972 .

Yes, it's also known as code 999, and C37D but those are codes for Chrysler corporation colors not Petty Blue. Only the Petty clan has the exact formula. "Corporate Blue" was adopted by Chrysler corporation but it is still a drop of tint away from Petty Blue. This is the closest you can get without actually getting it from Richard.I was trying to be lazy earlier but John made me look up the codes!  :P 

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 30 March 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#90 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yes, it's also known as code 999, and C37D but those are codes for Chrysler corporation colors not Petty Blue. Only the Petty clan has the exact formula. "Corporate Blue" was adopted by Chrysler corporation but it is still a drop of tint away from Petty Blue. This is the closest you can get without actually getting it from Richard.I was trying to be lazy earlier but John made me look up the codes!  :P 

Interesting nugget here  ... I didn't realise that there were so many subtle changes during the lifetime of Chrysler's Corporate Blue (et al.) versus the 'official' Petty Blue .

I read some-where that Petty mixed his blue from a combination of Ford Blue and white . Whether that's a valid story or not , I don't know .

All that I do know is that my 1973 Duster was TB3 with black interior (318 / 727 / 8.25") , and that I miss my Duster :(

#91 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

Interesting nugget here  ... I didn't realise that there were so many subtle changes during the lifetime of Chrysler's Corporate Blue (et al.) versus the 'official' Petty Blue .

I read some-where that Petty mixed his blue from a combination of Ford Blue and white . Whether that's a valid story or not , I don't know .

All that I do know is that my 1973 Duster was TB3 with black interior (318 / 727 / 8.25") , and that I miss my Duster :(

I miss my MAGNUM too. I just keep telling myself "One day...one day...". I heard the same rumor about the blue, as well as a couple others like, it wasn't even auto paint! (That one made me laugh long and loud when Richard told me that!) I think I actually discussed it with him more than once. Jacen introduced us in 1983 and that was the question I asked at the fan club meeting. Although he doesn't remember the "make" of the paint, he assured me it was not a Ford color. At that time Lee wouldn't allow anything Ford on the premises unless it was a friend or fan's car. He did say it was a blue "just a few drips off of royal blue". I thought that was kind of prophetic..."royal blue"..."the King". :D Of course there are other stories, some of them likely to be also from the King, but this is the one I was told.

Edited by MAGNUM4342, 31 March 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#92 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Good to know for sure!

Now, the darker blue on the suspension parts. Any secret formula there or just something a little darker?

#93 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

It's regularly called appliance blue. Testor's medium blue works great.

#94 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

Thanks, that takes care of the major paint colours!

#95 Fender

Fender

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Sears

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

I enjoyed building the Dukes Charger but I'm not sure I could want to get back into all the prep and bad fit etc. I would hope the Petty wouldn't be as bad. The one guy talks about flash. I had to touch every part on the car (Dukes) as far as the flash, I don't think one part had no flash--oh well I guess if you want to do it you do it and get the job done. I ended up making interior door panels out of plain plastic sheet like a stock car has for the Dukes kit. Things just didn't want to fit.

#96 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:57 AM

Anyone know what the new tool parts are in the 1/16 Buddy Baker Charger? Round 2 description mentions newly tooled parts not seen in decades. I thought it was the same as the Petty kit.

#97 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:32 AM

It's the same kit,just the body molded in red.

#98 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

I was going to A//B them. There are a few differences and off the top of my head is the whiplash bars behind the drivers seat. I imagine there are a few more as well but have yet to do any comparisons.