Model Cars Magazine Forum

Firt time useing resin parts

That is correct, soaking them in Westly's Bleach White removes any mold release. If you were to paint the parts and they did have mold release on them, it would be bad! ONLY use Westly's Bleach White! The Purple Power cleaners can actually saturate the resin and ruin it! Be sure to soak the part BEFORE you do any sanding as the mold release can be pushed down into the resin if you sand over it and cause paint problems later on. Be sure to wash the parts with warm water and dish soap after they have soaked in the Westly's. When you glue the parts together, it helps to rough up the areas that touch. It gives the glue something to bite into. Only use super glue or Epoxy for glueing resin to resin or resin to plastic.

Edited by Ben

I was at al the parts stores today to find Westlys Bleach white to find out they are no longer in business it seems they was bought out by Black Magic is this product safe to use on resin or is there an alternitive

Wow, I didn't know that? The Westly's looked just like Windex. Kinda like a light transparent blue water. If you get the Black Magic type try it on a scap piece if you have one.

• 11 months later...

I have been using the cheapest brake clean I can buy at Walmart and have had great results. You don't have to wait very long for the product to evaporate. As with any thing we do always try it on a test piece to make sure that the stuff doesn't eat the resin. I just started doing this on my current project and I haven't had any issues and the paint is coming out fine.

Is super clean ok to use? On resin?

For stripping paint I have used purple power which I believe is the same stuff depending on were you buy it. For stripping paint I have been using Purple Power it is easy to get and it works on plastic and resin. PP also works in dechroming parts too. For cleaning resin prior to painting as I stated before the cheapest brake clean from Walmart is working to great. Hope this helps. B)