CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hello world.

I would once again like to hear your opinion on a particular kit.

Whenever I ask for a review I get a ton of great comments from you guys and gals so thank you all.

Anyways, I'm wondering how is the AMT 62 Catalina 2 in 1 kit? Does it have all the custom parts from the Catalina custom kit?

I know AMT has reissued 57 Chevy and left out a bunch of custom parts, did they pull the same thing here too?

Thanks.

Here is the pic of the kit I'm referring to:

amt623.jpg

#2 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

It's a nice kit, created during one of AMT's "good" periods. The Pontiac engine is nicely done, as is the rearend and the other drivetrain parts, and from what I've seen, the interior (dash in particular) looks good, too. I only had parts to look over, and not the whole kit, but I would definitely recommend it.

One thing Round2 has going for it is .pdf files of its kit's instruction sheets right on its website, so you can "look over" each kit at your leisure: http://www.round2mod...ions/amt623.pdf

#3 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

This issue contains parts to build both the stock and custom versions. Two sets of wheels and tires (and two slicks), stock and custom grilles, stock and custom interior parts. The kit was designed with two versions that were originally sold separately, like the '60 Ford hardtop. Like that kit, both versions are offered together in the current issue.

#4 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

One other thing: in the earlier (pre-Round 2) versions, the Pontiac kit did not include vent window "glass". The current issue has vent panes added to the windshield.

#5 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

It is an excellent kit, here are some pictures of the parts, in build process.

P9150050.jpg

P9150049.jpg

P9150031.jpg

All Pics: http://s486.photobuc... Stock/?start=0

That time I tried to use Fotki, too. So here are the pictures of parts trees. http://public.fotki....ntiac-catalina/

#6 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks. I appreciate all your help.

#7 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

One caveat : once you open the box and remove even one item , you'll never be able to repack it ! This thing is full of parts !

I highly recommend it !

#8 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I have only one gripe about this kit- AMT only would have needed to add a second pair of skinny tires for a three in one kit- stock, custom or drag... just like in the glory days. I know a proper set of stock tires is just a trip to the parts box away for 99% of us, but still! That aside, it's a good kit and a good one to have back even if they sort of replaced the stock building option with a drag version.

#9 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just built one as the beswick car from one of the earlier  SD421 version. I like it and will be building another one soon .

I have a custom version I bought thinking they were all the same and found out it was custom only ,,,, I'll use it for trade fodder or a parts kit only

Edited by gtx6970, 13 February 2013 - 10:17 AM.