Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427

Mauricio Meyer

I agree with the rest. Beautiful build.

A few comments for those who intend to try their hand at this kit (any version). I was around SCCA racing working as a Tech Inspector when these were raced. I worked with a number of Shelby employees at the races and at the tracks where Shelby brought the cars to test, as well as inspecting the customer's race cars. I also was on the crew of a famous racing Tiger, which was another Shelby project of stuffing a Ford V8 into an English sports car. These days I'm a professional race car fabricator who often restores vintage racers including Shelby cars.

- He got the oil cooler fittings in the front correct. They were cadmium-plated steel fittings on the original competition Cobras, not anodized aluminum. So they should not be candy red or blue, but silver. At the oil filter, he has anodized fittings... OK, maybe the team replaced a couple of fittings? For a race car, things often got changed from "factory".

- The street seat belts are nicely done, but in a race car, the seat belts should be 3" competition hook latch type belts with 2" shoulder straps.

- Since the stock AC windshields and similar ones on other sports cars like Vettes and Healeys had a tendency to break when the car got above 150mph at places like Riverside, we preferred they be removed and replaced with the small racing screen as provided in the competition versions of the kit (not found in the wire-wheel street version of the kit). I recall seeing it happening on a Vette that wasn't normally raced. The driver needed a change of clothes after. The screens were available from Shelby. This reduced aero drag and weight and made for something less to break, so most racers made that change. But FIA required the street windshield for their races, so Shelby reinforced the AC diecast uprights with steel for the FIA racers.

• 4 weeks later...

Really nice work, Mauricio.

Did you you use the kit decals for the stripes? If so, how were you able to get them to lie down so well over the hood scoop?

Hi Larry! yes, i used the kit decals. I used Microsol and hair dryer to make them lie down. It´s tricky because with the hair dryer there is always the risk to melt the decals. But with patiance in can be done! matter of practice.

The decal doesn't fit the scoop, i had to use a little paint to fix:

COFREGAPATRAS.jpg

COFREGAP.jpg

And then fixed:

RESANANDOGAP.jpg