Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "FreakShow" new project 1/12/13

John Teresi

He's probably referring to the valve covers which should have the corners with the pronounced notch towards the intake. They are up side down, but only something you'd notice while counting rivets. The engine is yet another example of Johns skill with Alclad. Beauttifule and ultra impressive.

This would be a tough build for anyone to pull off, but we all know John will do it again.

thanks for sharing, John

He's probably referring to the valve covers which should have the corners with the pronounced notch towards the intake. They are up side down, but only something you'd notice while counting rivets. The engine is yet another example of Johns skill with Alclad. Beauttifule and ultra impressive.

This would be a tough build for anyone to pull off, but we all know John will do it again.

thanks for sharing, John

Hi Alyn........thank you for your kind comment........I really did try to build this engine the best I could........using reference pictures of the real car and using parts from my parts box.........I just try to make stuff work without spending to much money........I messed up again.........just goes to prove I am not perfect........and I stand on that statement.........I will just have to not make that mistake again........thanks

100_0361_1__zpsfb886584.jpg

AMAZING work . And the skill to pull this off is off the charts ,,,,,But I'm sorry that is one butt ugly car ( sorry , never been much of a radical customs fan myself ) But it just goes to show ,, the builder of the actual car was thinking WAAAAAY out of the box when he thought this one up.

And in actuality the valve covers on the model are from a 426 Hemi ( and yes upside down) the 1/1 car is a 354 or 392 ( dist is in the rear ) which used a completely different shaped valve cover .

In scale can it be seen ? sure , but most will never catch it. carry on.

ps,,,,,,IF ( key word ) you want to change them,,,, the right ones are in both the Boot Hill Express and the Miss Deal Stude kit

Edited by gtx6970

Hello.......thank you all for the kind comments.......I made a air compressor and air tank for the air bags........all fittings made with hex rod and I added plumbing with "Pro Tech" braid line and detailing wire.......I also modified a gas tank,painted Alclad and weathered ........I added some more detail to the engine ........I added "Pro Tech" gauge faces........added wiring to the starter and alternator........I made some battery clamps.......I made a keg and painted Alclad for the trunk and painted H.O.K. snow white pearl and added the carpet ........I also made a brake,clutch and gas pedal all painted Alclad........thanks for looking

DSCF6690_zps4bd593f9.jpg

DSCF6692_zpsd54586dc.jpg

DSCF6694_zps18062462.jpg

DSCF6698_zps36e2c968.jpg

DSCF6699_zpse16b77d6.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

John where did you get the battery calmps, or did you make them? If you made 'em you've gotta spill it on how, because they're perfect!

Thanks Mike.........I made them with 3 different sizes of Evergreen styrene........glued together and a little sanding........I made them really quick,maybe 20 minutes........after looking at my pictures I could have evened them out a little bit.........but,for 1/24 scale they aren`t that bad.......next time I make some I will show how and I will take my time and do a better job........thanks

Looks great JT, as always.

Where do you find/get your small fittings?

James......I use Evergreen hex rod........I drill thru the rod and cut small pieces with a #11 blade........then try to sand evenly.......then I spray paint gold and lightly weather........thanks.

Edited by John Teresi

John, how did yo get the engine turned look on your firewall? is that a decal?.....great work, by the way as always....im inspired to build better models from watching what you do...look forward to seeing you at the next cactus modlers contest. hope your coming over for it. Model on Man!!

John, how did yo get the engine turned look on your firewall? is that a decal?.....great work, by the way as always....im inspired to build better models from watching what you do...look forward to seeing you at the next cactus modlers contest. hope your coming over for it. Model on Man!!

Hi Lanny.......I made the firewall from the backside of a hairbrush.........the back side of the hairbrush had that chrome design made from thin metal......thanks

This is an amazing build. You are capturing the original in ways that can't be measured. As far as the valve covers, I wouldn't sweat it. People's eyes will be bugging out after they first see the finished car and they won't be able to speak or comprehend any thing for at least a week. ;)

Yes,Lee.......it is a downer about the valve covers........I would fix them but,I use super glue on my builds and it would be a disaster to try and take them and the plug wires off to fix........it is the lack of knowledge that I have a bought engines.......another lesson I have learned........iI wish someone would have pointed it out to me on my early mock-up stages.......but,hopefully many people won`t notice or care........thanks :)

Edited by John Teresi

John,

This is a beautiful model. As far as the valve covers if the engine was a 392 an adapter plate would have to been made to use these valve covers. When you look at the 392 valve covers you have yours installed in the same orientation see attached picture. So this is not really an issue unless someone wants to try to make it an issue.

Keep up the good working looking forward to seeing this one finished.

bobthehobbyguy

392_hemi__30_.jpg