#1 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hello Fellas.....   Well while I am in the midst of my Highly Detailed 1/16th scale Army Vega Funny Car. I realized that I have been working on the Funny Car for almost 2 years now (I have 625 hours into it so far), I needed to start a quick build and have a little fun on it. Really I am just itching to finish a model. So I have decided that I wanted to do a fun curbside build. There is going to be no engine detail, no real chassis work other than to lower and have the wheels mounted. It will have an interior.   My inspiration for the '57 Chevy Stepside was a truck that I saw at one of the Goodguy's car show here in Scottsdale, Az back in 2011. I am going to make this fun curbside build to look pretty much like this truck. It will have aftermarket turned aluminum mexican sombrero hubcaps I picked up from Bob Dudek as well as White wall tires from Modelhaus. The paint will be PPG basecoat/clearcoat but I am planning to add flattening agent to have that egg shell look. I think that it is going to be a fun project.   I have spent so much time on my heavy detailed build that I need a little fun on something in the mean time. I am not sure how often I will get updates on this but going to try and put in a little time here and there and hoping to possibly have this done in a month if I can.   Here is what the truck I saw looks like:   GGSN2011453-A.jpg       GGSN2011455-A.jpg       GGSN2011454-A.jpg       GGSN2011457-A.jpg       GGSN2011456-A.jpg    

Edited by Mooneyzs, 13 October 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Here is what I have so far when I started messing with it a little while back.

57-Chevy-PU005-1.jpg

57-Chevy-PU006-1.jpg

#3 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Oh yeah, this is gonna be good. I know what you mean about feeling like you need to finish a build. Know it really well but still can't seem to finish one.  :)

#4 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Brad.... that has been the story of my life of trying to finish one lately. well all I have been working on is the funny car but as you know I have a goal to have it done by the show in april and I have some cool builds I am gonna start after the funny car. I even have a list of 15 other projects I would like to do as well that have been on the back of my mind..lol  As well as finish my 1/16th scale FED that was started over 15 years ago. But that one I would like to redo the radius rods and then just finish it because there wasn't much left and it won't have all of the crazy detail like the F/C.

#5 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

This will be cool build to follow, even if it would be a Curbside. The 1:1 car looks very good, and I really like the first Mock Up too. Keep coming, I will be watching this one very closely.

#6 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

awsome :)

#7 Modlbldr

Modlbldr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kendall

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Looks done to me! Lol. At least that's how mine look once I stop working on them and move on to the next.
All kidding aside, the mock up is looking good and I love the 1:1. Great choice.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr, 13 January 2013 - 01:49 AM.

#8 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Niko...Thanks buddy. When I saw this truck at the car the car show. I really liked it and troughs it would be cool to build one like it. Richard... Thank you. Tom... Thanks and trust me I have a few kits that have been started and stopped in this condition... Still waiting on me lol

#9 gautreau

gautreau

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremy

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Great subject to build from.Can't wait to see more

#10 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Hey Jeremy... Thanks I have been excite about this build. It should be fun.

#11 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Nice Chris, i have like 10 projects i would like to do lol. I feel like i'm at a stall on the promod.

#12 Snakebite Customs

Snakebite Customs

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Jewell

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

looks like a kool project!!

#13 kekefe

kekefe

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Full Name:Keke Keke

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

very very nice project...good luck

#14 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Joe... thanks buddy..... Hey we can share lists hahaha  ;) . Your pro mod is out of this world but I know where you are coming from when you feel you are at a stall point or from just feeling a little burnt out. I have had some small details on my F/C that I have been thinking about how I will go forward with but I feel that they are a hurdled and can't go forward til I get them worked out. So ready to have the rolling chassis done and painted...lol

Ben... Thanks man!!

KeKe... . Thanks man. This one should be fun.

Ok Fellas I have a question for all of you. I have been thinking about the interior and have been going back and forth on what I would like to do for the seat. Gonna show you a pic of the seat as well as a pic of two upholstery decals from scale motor sports. So I really I have three ideas for the seat upholstery. First idea is to make the seat look as close as possible to what is in the real car and was thinking I cold get something done close to it by using different colors of thread and laying them one by one to create this "Mexican" blanket look..... then then next two are using either a Leopard upholstery pattern or a Giraffe upholstery pattern from Scale Motor sport.... Here are the pics...

Here is a pic of the interior in the truck:

GGSN2012075-1.jpg

Here is the upholstrey patterns from scale motor sports, the top is the Giraffe pattern and the bottom is the Leopard print:

57-Chevy-PU014-1.jpg

Now the question I am asking is which do you think would look best and which would you go with?? Thanks guys, I am undecided at the moment...lol  :lol:

#15 Dirty Gringo

Dirty Gringo

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Full Name:Jeremiah Gordon

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I like the Giraffe better since you asked

#16 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,976 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Chris,

Great slumpbuster project! 

For the seat?  Picture the seat painted light blue (the hue seen in the actual truck's blanket) covered with the giraffe pattern.  How's that look to you? 

My two cents;  I think it would work well. 

More power to ya.

B)

#17 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Truck is sick! Love them rims, can't wait to see it all finished up. Keep it going, I'll be watching.

#18 gonzo64nova

gonzo64nova

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Gonzo

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Im a big fan of this style of truck, so I'll be watching for up-dates. Please show the chassis so we can see how you will go about lowering it that much.

Edited by gonzo64nova, 29 January 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#19 Matt T.

Matt T.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew T.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Nailed it! Man, that looks sweet.

Don't worry about the underside, go curbside here and have a great shelf model. Plus, a better chance of finishing it.

For the seat, do like I did on my flat black '50 Chevy PU (in my fotki link in my signature). I printed out a resized Mexican blanket image from the internet on regular printer paper and glued it to the seat with white glue - the more wrinkles the better!

Have fun with it!

#20 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Jeremiah... Thanks man. I was sort leaning that direction myself.

Danno... thanks buddy. I am in need of a slumpbuster and feel like I need to finish something. That is a cool Idea to think about for the seat.

Jason... Thanks for the kind words. I am really digging this build and how the whole truck looks... the stance and the wheels. I was debating on using some sort of bullet for the center of the hub cap but not sure yet.

Gonzo... Thanks man. I definitely wanted this one in the weeds. I will shoot a few pics of the chassis for you and show you how I got it this low. Keep in mind that my original.inyrntions.of.this.build was to do it as a curbside.

Matt... Thanks man. You read my mind. this will be a curbside build with a full interior and a liyyle something in the bed. This is going to be a fun project. I am gonna check out your pics of your '50 Chevy.