Model Cars Magazine Forum

House of Kolor Kandy kits questions

I was looking at these HOK starter kits at TCP Global. Specifically the Kandy Starter kit:
I've noticed though that they don't come with a clear top coat, although it says that it is "pre-blended to HOK Standards with SG100 intercoat clear" :wacko:
Do I need a clear top coat with these? If so, which one? They list three different ones.

I would never buy anything pre blended.

You have no idea how long that has been mixed and on the shelf.

Coast AirBrush are the ONLY people authorized by House Of Kolor to repour their paints into smaller amounts.

You don't know what TCP Global (and you might want to read what people think about them) means by "standards".

InterCoat Clear (SG100) is something you do not want to be repeatedly opening and exposing to the air.

It is also not meant to be applied in more than 2 or 3 coats as it is not designed for durability or buildup.

Yes you must ClearCoat but any Urethane Clear will work.

It is always best however to stick to the HOK system.

You should read the House Of Kolor Tech Sheet for the real info on using Candies, KK's and Clearcoat.

I suggest buying real HOK and mixing it yourself, to the actual standards and ratios HOK suggests.

Here is an alternate Valspar (HOK parent company) Urethane Clearcoat I have been recommending to people for years that don't want to shell out for HOK Clear.

PICT0007.jpg

And the Catalyst and Reducer, all of which can be purchased in pints and quarts,

PICT0008-1.jpg

CadillacPat

Thanks guys. I'll have to look more into it. These seems more complicated than I thought.

Dave,

Urethane Clear will make your jobs shine with depth.

There is nothing to mixing and applying it, and nothing to cleaning ujp your gun.

Very simple steps if followed will result in beautiful finishes.

And, it's not expensive either.

Like anything, just jump in and learn.

CadillacPat

Guest G Holding

Dave,

Urethane Clear will make your jobs shine with depth.

There is nothing to mixing and applying it, and nothing to cleaning ujp your gun.

Very simple steps if followed will result in beautiful finishes.

And, it's not expensive either.

Like anything, just jump in and learn.

CadillacPat

And wear proper safety equipment...starting with a respirator, and gloves.