#1 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have been following this technology for a while and did not realize just how cheap it is to buy a printer and make your own model parts. For $500.00 your up and running and the software to design the parts is free, there are three well known programs and google has one of them called sketchup. Just have to start saving up some cash to get one..................http://www.solidoodl...CFetDMgodqWsAow

It is just totally amazing, what ever you can think up and draw in the program you can print out........

Just my personal opinion, going out on a limb here, I believe someday this will be a tool on the bench of a lot of scratch builders world wide. Its $43.00 for 2lbs of plastic but that can go a long way for miniature tiny little parts.......

As soon as I can come up with the coin im gonna try one out myself.

Edited by Darren B, 15 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Just my personal opinion, going out on a limb here, I believe someday this will be a tool on the bench of a lot of scratch builders world wide. 

Not just your opinion. I've been saying it here for a long time. The day is coming where making your own parts via a 3-D printer is going to be as common as having an X-acto knife.

#3 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Not just your opinion. I've been saying it here for a long time. The day is coming where making your own parts via a 3-D printer is going to be as common as having an X-acto knife.

Pretty much, its amazing if there 500.00 now in a few years could be less, and if your good mechanical theres plans on line could build one yourself cheaper, what I liked about this brand is that its all built and ready to go, just learn the software to design the part. This one only builds 6"x6"x6" parts but thats perfect for 1/24th and 1/25th and probably parts up to 1/8th scale. I just find it fascinating, I spent more on a sherline lathe than this machine, and all i can do on the lathe is round parts. This printer can do anything.

Edited by Darren B, 15 January 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#4 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

No doubt that as the technology evolves, the price will drop. Electronics generally follow that pattern. Computers, TVs, VCRs (remember those?  :lol: ), etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that a $100 3-D printer will be sold at every Office Max, Staples, and even Walmart before the decade is over.

#5 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

No doubt that as the technology evolves, the price will drop. Electronics generally follow that pattern. Computers, TVs, VCRs (remember those?  :lol: ), etc.

I have absolutely no doubt that a $100 3-D printer will be sold at every Office Max, Staples, and even Walmart before the decade is over.

If not sooner,   I cant wait

#6 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

If not sooner,   I cant wait

Yeah hopefully sooner than the end of decade..............

#7 Deano

Deano

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Full Name:Dean Eubanks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Guess we all better get to learning 3D drafting, eh?

#8 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Will 2lbs of plastic be enough to say do a body?

#9 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

How long before we have the matching 3D scanner as cheap

so we can replace lost, copy parts we use most??

Edited by Edsel-Dan, 15 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#10 henry57

henry57

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I can see model kits being sold online in a downloadable file, and printed at home.

#11 Chas SCR

Chas SCR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Full Name:Chas Cochran

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

That 6x6x6 will do a lot of stuff if you think about it that is not normaly done in resin.  Now if you want to spend the extra $300 and up grade to a 8x8x8 that will be able to do about any body you like other then a stretch custom.

#12 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

ill pass on that one, good for big scale items tho.

#13 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

That 6x6x6 will do a lot of stuff if you think about it that is not normaly done in resin. Now if you want to spend the extra $300 and up grade to a 8x8x8 that will be able to do about any body you like other then a stretch custom.

Barely. The average model kit body is 81/4 inches long. As Maxwell Smart would say..."Missed it by that much!" :rolleyes:

#14 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I would possibly be interested in one of these if I could see a sample of the quality and precision. I am wondering how it would compare to TDRs products being printed by shapeways. I know that there is different ways to print these parts with different types of printers. But it seems that the prices are becoming more affordable for anyone who would want to purchase one.

#15 JM485

JM485

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Mouzakis

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wow, crazy to think of all the things that can be done.  It will be interesting to see how this evolves and if the art of scratchbuilding a part is eventualy lost.  If you can just draw it on a computer and print it, will it be considered in the same esteem as a scratchbuilt part, or will this open a whole new category of building techniques?  I'm sure it is difficult to explain, but it should be interesting to see what the future holds.

#16 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

I agree. I would love to see some test shots myself. This is just about affordable for me. My real hangup is the 3D artwork. I've tried it and just can't get a handle on it. :( 

#17 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Barely. The average model kit body is 81/4 inches long. As Maxwell Smart would say..."Missed it by that much!" :rolleyes:

print body without front clip ;)

#18 Hollywood Jim

Hollywood Jim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Full Name:Jim F.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I agree. I would love to see some test shots myself. This is just about affordable for me. My real hangup is the 3D artwork. I've tried it and just can't get a handle on it. :( 

Yes, your correct.  I can now afford the small cost of having some parts printed up in 3D.  I have friends that can do it.  And I understand Staples is ready to prodive 3D printing. 

The big problem is doing the CAD drafting required.  I'm not sure I want to learn how to do that.

#19 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Yes, your correct.  I can now afford the small cost of having some parts printed up in 3D.  I have friends that can do it.  And I understand Staples is ready to prodive 3D printing. 

The big problem is doing the CAD drafting required.  I'm not sure I want to learn how to do that.

you only need 1 semester of it.

#20 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

There will no doubt be all sorts of easy "do it yourself" 3D software coming, maybe even in a package with the printers.