#41 brad4321

brad4321

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Lawrence

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

The box art only helps me decide if I don't know whats in the inside.  If I've done my homework or owned the kit before, the box could be solid white for all I care.  Otherwise,the picture can certainly stir my interests and force me into an impulse buy.   What I don't understand is why so many models fail to properly show off what is inside.  Often there are decals for versions inside that aren't show on the outside.  Often the completed model photos on the side look like an average at best modeler built the thing.  Some of the foreign companies just give you a drawing on the front and not one picture or mention of what's inside.  If they're hiding something bad, I can understand.  But often there are goodies inside that had I known about I would've snagged one up much much sooner. 

#42 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

I think box art that is visually appealing is important. After all, it helps sell the product in the box. And a good piece of box art really can be considered fine art in its own respect, whether drawn or photographic.

What I think is more important, though, is an accurate depiction of what you get in the box. I like the idea of a picture on the side with all the tress up close, or on the bottom, blown up enough so you can see exactly what you're getting.

Charlie Larkin

#43 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I don't care what Revell did to that 57 Nomad pic, it's still my favorite, next to the original AMT 39/40 tudor and the Revell 29 pickup box. Glad you guys brought this up. AMT and Revells 60s box art is a huge draw for me.  I find myself looking for affordable originals to house some of the newer releases of the same kits I have. Most box art since the 80's puts me off unless I'm just getting a builder or kit for parts; there is some truly cheesy stuff out there. One of the worst box art examples I can think of would be AMTs 1/12 64 Mustang where they used a pic of the actual model to help you decide not to buy the kit :)  Truth in advertising at it's finest...

mike   

#44 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Thinking about the original question, I think I prefer a picture of what's in the box, however, I realize box "Art" and maybe even fanciful photography will really "sell" a kit. I.E.

Revell_55chevy%20copy.jpg

#45 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

...and if you look closely, you will see that the chrome reverse wheels are actually black and white photos from a different car. Bob Paeth's car in fact, an old Rambler. They at Revell did not like the wheels the car used so they took a B&W photo of the rambler wheel and cut and pasted the wheels the old fashioned way by actually cutting the pic and pasting it over the Chevy's wheels.

The car had wire wheels didn't it?

#46 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I have bought kits due to the box art, others because I knew what to expect from what is inside. Some also if it is a subject I like.

#47 pharoah

pharoah

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Full Name:John Farrow

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think I've bought models sometimes just because of the box art.

Because I like to draw cars too,and the art work appeals to me. 

Newer kits that have had 'retouched photo of actual model' on the box have actually turned me off,unless I really want the kit and know what's in there.

#48 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Re: Box art......Okay whats in the box????

Chevies005.jpg

This.Chevies006.jpg
You had to read the end panel to see what car you were getting.

Later they came out with some great IMO art. Looking at this art work you could just imagine how it would feel to own the real thing. Pics courtesy of Bob B.
2in1.jpg
drag.jpg
34.jpg

#49 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

If you really think about it, that's what this hobby is all about. The imagination at work, whether it's the build or the feel of owning the real thing. and yes, I'd like to see all of those kits reissued. :)

Edited by Greg Myers, 24 February 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#50 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

...and if you look closely, you will see that the chrome reverse wheels are actually black and white photos from a different car. Bob Paeth's car in fact, an old Rambler. They at Revell did not like the wheels the car used so they took a B&W photo of the rambler wheel and cut and pasted the wheels the old fashioned way by actually cutting the pic and pasting it over the Chevy's wheels.

It wasn't that "Revell did no like the wheels the car used",  it was that at a last minute product review to approve the box art, they noticed that the wire wheels on the actual car weren't in the kit. Not wanting to upset customers, they decided to change the box to reflect the chrome reverse wheels that actually were in the kit.  Never mind that they didn't have the decals to duplicate the box car either! 

#51 Mercman

Mercman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Full Name:Junior

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

If you really think about it, that's what this hobby is all about. The imagination at work, whether it's the build or the feel of owning the real thing. and yes, I'd like to see all of those kits reissued. :)

Yeah that would be nice. Back in the late 60's a shop here in town was going OOB. You walked in the front door, and from floor to ceiling, for a good 30 feet, there were those double kits for $0.50 a pop. Yep only 50 cents. Man if a guy only knew then what they go for now.

#52 935k3

935k3

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

This one is one of my favorites. It's on a very big box for this 1/12 scale kit. The cutaaway art on some of Tamiya's boxes are a great reference for detaling. I have bought some kits because I really liked the artwork.

tamiya-porsche-935-martini-with-photo-et

#53 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have seen some great box art....Couple of builders photo shopped their builds onto the kit box...complete with logos and all. The one I fell for was the 48 Ford custom from Revell...Donn Yost Edition ! ...Yeah I found out that it was bogus, But it looked real to me!

Problem being .... Wasn't me ! Had no idea it existed until you mentioned it !

#54 Duntov

Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Interesting

#55 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

:wub:

AMTsanddragger1.jpg

#56 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

I always liked that Sandbagger artwork !

Here's one I'd never seen before 'till a few days ago . . .

KGrHqNHJEFElOiUdKBRJtj15evQ60_57_zps8c7c

#57 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,768 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

dunetigerS-vi.jpgMVC007S-vi.jpg

Here's a fun little kit.  It was released under two different names. It is close enuf to 1/25 to fit into my collection.  The second picture is the only one I have available online of the box, but the car in front is my long in progress vehicle, using the Hogan's Jeep chassis.  

#58 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,583 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Never saw that one before.