#161 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

That would be very cool!

If anyone would have the "guts" to do it, Moebius would be my guess.

Uh, surprising as it might seem, a '56 Imperial would have to be an all new tool--in real life, the Imperial was something like 7 inches longer than the Chrysler Saratoga, which is what the C300/300B were built from.  On the Imperial Southhampton convertible/hardtop, all that added length in in the wheelbase and overall length, with the hardtop roof (convertible "greenhouse is the same basic length more or less) being the same as for standard Chrysler.

Agreed that the Imperial would make a cool, COOL model car kit, but somehow I doubt it will happen in styrene.  Enterprising resin caster?  Hmmmm?

Art

#162 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

From the pictures, it looks to me that the taillights are all chrome. 

If so, that's a disappointment. 

I can assure you that the taillight lenses are HOLLOW clear red units, complete with the horizontal ribs on the INSIDE.  In addition, the backup light lenses are clear plastic as well.  The only chrome part of the taillight assembly is the bezel, which does have the horizontal "rib" between red and clear lenses.

6Chrysler300BCanon5reardetails-vi.jpg

Art

#163 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

There may be more new parts to this kit than I thought at first, there's a bunch of parts with a "B" after the part number, including all the parts I know are new. I don't have a 55 to compare it to.

The "new" parts in the '56 300B are those which differed from the '55 C300 in real life:  Body shell, rear bumper, taillights & lenses, front bumper, dash (remember, 1956 saw the introduction of the pushbutton transmission control console on the left side of the dash--the "cover panel" over the slot in the dash to the right of the steering wheel is there, just as it was on the real cars--the dash being identical to the '55, Chrysler simply put a cover plate of the slot where the 1955 automatic transmission control lever extended out from the dash).  Other new parts include the exhaust pipes (the '56 pipes curved to outboard of the rear frame rails behind the rear axle and turned down at the ends) and a pair of hood hinges are now included in case you want to display the model with the hood open (as opposed to just setting the hood panel off to the side).

I built up one from a set of 2nd round test shots, just for fun, and to display at the Classic Plastic model car contest in Lawrence MA back in October:

1956Chrysler300BCanon4-vi.jpg

56Chrysler300Bcomplete3-vi.jpg

1956Chrysler300BCanon3-vi.jpg

Brett, did you see this model on display there?

Art

#164 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

The "new" parts in the '56 300B are those which differed from the '55 C300 in real life:  Body shell, rear bumper, taillights & lenses, front bumper, dash (remember, 1956 saw the introduction of the pushbutton transmission control console on the left side of the dash--the "cover panel" over the slot in the dash to the right of the steering wheel is there, just as it was on the real cars--the dash being identical to the '55, Chrysler simply put a cover plate of the slot where the 1955 automatic transmission control lever extended out from the dash).  Other new parts include the exhaust pipes (the '56 pipes curved to outboard of the rear frame rails behind the rear axle and turned down at the ends) and a pair of hood hinges are now included in case you want to display the model with the hood open (as opposed to just setting the hood panel off to the side).

I built up one from a set of 2nd round test shots, just for fun, and to display at the Classic Plastic model car contest in Lawrence MA back in October:

Brett, did you see this model on display there?

Art

Thanks for clearing that up, Art. 

I didn't attend that contest, I work weekends, so I don't get to make it to a lot of shows.  I am going to try to go to NNL East next year.  I did see your model on Fotki, I snoop in on my favorite Fotki pages every week or two to see what's new, and yours is on the list. 

Now to decide what color to paint mine.  Yours looks great in black, I'm leaning that way for mine. 

#165 PeeBee

PeeBee

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Boucher

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

Nice job on that Chrysler, Art.  What brand (and type) of paint did you use for the black finish?

#166 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Nice job on that Chrysler, Art.  What brand (and type) of paint did you use for the black finish?

Tamiya gloss black, shot over some Dupont red oxide lacquer primer I have here still.  No clear coat, and no color sanding, just polished with a flannel cloth and Micro-Mesh liquid polishing compound, then waxed after the trim was foiled.

Art

#167 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Full Name:Michael

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

...and today I ordered this kit,it's going to be a great weekend :lol:

#168 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I got the kit today and wondering if anyone else did and noticed a problem with the pulley assembly...

#169 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I got the kit today and wondering if anyone else did and noticed a problem with the pulley assembly...

I'll have to take a look at mine. I grabbed it Thursday from the local plastic pusher.

I did, however, see that the body on mine has some very bad mold lines on the trunk-lid just below the bend on the vertical surface, and there are some molding imperfections on the fins that almost feel like the pits you get when you have a rusty or worn mold.

I think everything will sand and clean up okay, but on a new tool, this shouldn't happen like that. I don't know if production is being rushed or something else is going on, but it should be looked into.

Charlie Larkin

#170 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

i NOTICED SOME BODY IMPERFECTIONS ALSO,AND NO,THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN WITH NEW TOOLING...

#171 buffalobill

buffalobill

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Mathewson

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Made in China. .  .

#172 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

for those of you have a '55 300 and have or getting a '56 300b,just for laughs and giggles,compare the two kits and you'll see how little difference there is,interesting...

#173 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

for those of you have a '55 300 and have or getting a '56 300b,just for laughs and giggles,compare the two kits and you'll see how little difference there is,interesting...

Well, considering how little difference there was with the real cars from '55 to '56......

Art

#174 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Well, considering how little difference there was with the real cars from '55 to '56......

Art

Biggest difference in the 1:1 was under the hood - 23 more cubic inches and up to 55 more HP!  '56 was the first American car to make 1 HP per cubic inch. 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 16 December 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#175 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

That's wouldn't work, given the 50 year difference...

Anyway, maybe one of the resin casters will tool up a '55 or '56 New Yorker wagon...

If you keep up with the real car world you know that this has already been done in STEEL! Beautiful custom I believe it sold at last years Barrett Jackson auction.

#176 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Biggest difference in the 1:1 was under the hood - 23 more cubic inches and up to 55 more HP!  '56 was the first American car to make 1 HP per cubic inch. 

The very noticeable difference is the rear quarters, taillights, rear bumper.  Much nicer rear design on the '56 IMO...

#177 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

The very noticeable difference is the rear quarters, taillights, rear bumper.  Much nicer rear design on the '56 IMO...

Agreed, that's why I waited for the '56.  The '55's taillights look slapped on to me. 

#178 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

If you keep up with the real car world you know that this has already been done in STEEL! Beautiful custom I believe it sold at last years Barrett Jackson auction.

This? 

80902_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

I'd like to see a kit of a real '55/56 Chrysler wagon, like this:

55ChryslerWagon06.jpg

#179 retroguy

retroguy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

I contacted Moebius about the problem with the pulley setup,they said that the instructions are wrong and the pulley setup is correct..

#180 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

This? 

80902_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

Yes, that's the one I was referring to, I sure would like to try that one.