MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

The Polar Lights Herbie kit did show Steering on the box art, but that was

their 1/18 Diecast.

The Kit did not come with steerable front.

It Can be done. I did that on mine.

The Original Revell issue of Herbie had an Open Canvas top.

I still have mine. Need parts to restore him though!

#22 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the confirmation Geoff!  I had a '68, '69. and '71. I would love to duplicate my 1:1's. That Revell thing is horrid, and the Gunze and Tamiya's are too old. 

#23 CDA

CDA

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Allan

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

And here it is in the 2013 Revell AG catalogue

2013-01-18201657.jpg

Awesome! There's a flaw though. Just saying if you didn't know, The Limousine is in accurate. It's calling it a Super Beetle, showing a '67, and saying it has a 1500cc motor. Super Beetles didn't come out until '71, and had a 1600cc motor.

#24 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

Awesome! There's a flaw though. Just saying if you didn't know, The Limousine is in accurate. It's calling it a Super Beetle, showing a '67, and saying it has a 1500cc motor. Super Beetles didn't come out until '71, and had a 1600cc motor.

Not so, The so called "Super Beetle" did come out in 1971, but had a 1300 c.c motor (1302), and the 1302S had the 1500 c,c motor, most people, wrongly believe that all Super Beelte's had a larger curved front screen, but these didn't come in until the later 1303 in 1973.

The photo in the catalogue clearly shows the earlier '67 1500, so the listing of a "Super Beelte" looks to be a typo' so it looks like we will just have to wait to see what actually hits the shelves, I shall be keeping my eye on the Revell website with interest, as I actually worked for Volkswagen for a few years.

Edited by GeeBee, 28 January 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#25 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's not well known in the U.S., but not all beetles were created equal, We never got the 1302, and all 71 and newer U.S. spec beetles were 1600 cc. With Revell of Germany doing the tooling it would naturaly be a German spec car, and look like a 67 to us. 

#26 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I agree with Craig. I lived in Germany from 1969-72. By the time you mailed a VW to the US, there was no point in trying to market the low end cars here. The German Mark was gaining on the US dollar and over that time period the Mark went from 4 to a dollar to less than 2 to a dollar.  So the low end cars couldn't compete in the US market.  

And as a US military dependent living in Germany, everything doubled in price to us.  That put the typical Revell of Germany kit over $10 in the local hobby shop while stateside, kits were still $2.50!

#27 CDA

CDA

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Allan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

[quote name="GeeBee" post="866641" timestamp="1359373601"]
 Not so, The so called "Super Beetle" did come out in 1971, but had a 1300 c.c motor (1302), and the 1302S had the 1500 c,c motor, most people, wrongly believe that all Super Beelte's had a larger curved front screen, but these didn't come in until the later 1303 in 1973.

The photo in the catalogue clearly shows the earlier '67 1500, so the listing of a "Super Beelte" looks to be a typo' so it looks like we will just have to wait to see what actually hits the shelves, I shall be keeping my eye on the Revell website with interest, as I actually worked for Volkswagen for a few years.[/quo
The specs are a tiny bit different than in the UK, and Germany. I know them really wel in America. When I got to Germany, It was like I got to learn MORE!!!! Sorry to throw the thread off, but I had an 84, a Sunny Bug. Going from American specs, it had a 1200, which was in a 65, and the bodt of a '73. Ironically, being in Germany, you'd think it would be easy to get parts for it. Was WAY easier to send home for German car parts!

[quote name="GeeBee" post="866641" timestamp="1359373601"]

The photo in the catalogue clearly shows the earlier '67 1500, so the listing of a "Super Beelte" looks to be a typo' so it looks like we will just have to wait to see what actually hits the shelves, I shall be keeping my eye on the Revell website with interest, as I actually worked for Volkswagen for a few years.[/quo
The specs are a tiny bit different than in the UK, and Germany. I know them really wel in America. When I got to Germany, It was like I got to learn MORE!!!! Sorry to throw the thread off, but I had an 84, a Sunny Bug. Going from American specs, it had a 1200, which was in a 65, and the bodt of a '73. Ironically, being in Germany, you'd think it would be easy to get parts for it. Was WAY easier to send home for German car parts!

#28 Ken McGuire

Ken McGuire

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Ken McGuire

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Hi all, I have a related question to the topic of a VW Beetle kit. I would like to build a Beetle but detail/modify the engine (e.g., duel Webers, etc.), probably change the wheels to something like Porsche alloys and add/modify some other areas. My question is: Do aftermarket parts exist in 1/16 scale (e.g., for the Revell kit) or would I be better to try detailing the 1/24 scale kits?

#29 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

I liked the Polar Lights' Hebbie the Love Bug Beetle kit, when I build that. It's back out without the sunroof and with some hooky Spider-man stickers/decals. Without the Spider-man stuff it can be built as a fairly nice stock early 60's Beetle. I think someone recently indicated that Hebbie which this new kit is based on, is a 1963 Beetle?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58, 24 July 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#30 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:17 PM

Take this as a minus or plus the revell kit fooled me wife who is currently building it

#31 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

I liked the Polar Lights' Hebbie the Love Bug Beetle kit, when I build that. It's back out without the sunroof and with some hooky Spider-man stickers/decals. Without the Spider-man stuff it can be built as a fairly nice stock early 60's Beetle. I think someone recently indicated that Hebbie which this new kit is based on, is a 1963 Beetle?

Scott

Scott, The Spiderman kit also has three complete sets of extra wheels & tires, including Fuchs mags and Porsche-style mags. 

#32 afx

afx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:JC Reckner

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'm no Beetle expert, but here are a few kits from my collection.  I really like the Gunze oval wndow.

DSCN1674-vi.jpg

DSCN1676-vi.jpg

DSCN1677-vi.jpg

Edited by afx, 27 July 2014 - 02:12 AM.

#33 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:54 PM