#1 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Stencell

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

Is it possible to paint decals?  I am thinking of the stripes on the 1/12 mustang gt 500.

I could paint the hood roof and trunk stripes directly on the car but the side stripes supplied with the kit have gt500 in them. I am thinking of changing the color of all the stripes.  Any opinions/suggestions?

#2 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

I used to paint decals all the time. I was really into "hand lettering" back in the 60's and 70's. I found it much easier to paint a decal flat on my bench rather that work directly on the side of the model. I  used Testor's enamels, and it worked great. I think a lot of the success came from the fact that the enamel paint remained sort of flexible, so the application process was easy. I think I still have a couple of the models I did back then, I can take pics if you're really interested.

#3 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the input.  I kinda thought it would be do-able but it's always good to hear from someone who has done it.  If it is not a lot of trouble, a pic would be good.   I know peoples time is valuable.

I used to paint decals all the time. I was really into "hand lettering" back in the 60's and 70's. I found it much easier to paint a decal flat on my bench rather that work directly on the side of the model. I  used Testor's enamels, and it worked great. I think a lot of the success came from the fact that the enamel paint remained sort of flexible, so the application process was easy. I think I still have a couple of the models I did back then, I can take pics if you're really interested.

#4 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,624 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I would like to see photos as well.

#5 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I dug the old "girls" out. They're swimming in dishwater right now. They havent seen the light of day for 4 decades. Pictures to come. It is very very easy to do!

#6 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Back in my Indy Car building days, I used to overpaint just about all the decals I used, given the generally poor quality lithographed decals most kits had in them back in the day.  I found it pretty easy to paint over them, using the original printing as a guide, almost exactly the same as working with old-fashioned paint-by-number sets that were popular in the 50's and 60's.    I also found that after learning how to do that, I could easily hand-paint my own graphics, without the benefit of having a decal to use as a guide.

I built this AJ Foyt Coyote (1977 Indy winner, AJ's historic 4th trip to Victory Lane) in 1988, all the graphics are hand painted, except for the accessory decals:

77coyote1.jpg

#7 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Very nice Art. Here are my examples. First bear in mind that I did these at the ripe old age of 16. The quality is not what I would accept from myself today.  "Pacific" is all Testors enamels, with lettraset dry transfers for "trucking co". If you look close you can see I ran out of dry transfers for the right side and had to hand letter it. 

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

The "carter" is testors spray gold with hand lettering and again dry transfers. In retro spect, I should have cleared the gold, as its flat and doesnt look all that good. 

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

What I discovered is that the better the base decal is, the better your results will be. I found that AutoWorld decals, as well as old school Monogram were perfect. I didn't have so great results with  the AMT decals. Look for glossiness on the base decal. If its really shiny, you'll get good results.

Edited by Draggon, 19 January 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#8 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Very nice pics Art and Glen.  I will go ahead with my decal painting, now that I know it can be done successfully.  Thanks