Box Top Blunders, Omissions, False Advertisements...

• You cannot reply to this topic
151 replies to this topic

#21 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

KGrHqRjEE7nsK3uBP0jh0kpd60_57_zps5200602

1970?  1971?  Oh, close enough.

#22 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

The Revell '68 Corvette with a 429 engine was a good one. I've seen ebay sellers trying to pass it off as a rare box misprint and asking crazy money for them. 

That would be the same moronic sellers who also deal in the ultra-rare Hot Wheels and other hot die cast, nearly everything Mattel ever put out is rare and priceless you know!! 

My nephew worked at Toys-R-Us for a very short time, the things that he tells about grown men (and a few women too) doing for a .99 cent toy are absolutely moronic to say the least.  One of the funniest stories was about three guys who got into a fist fight right in the middle of the toy car aisle one pulled a gun on the other two over a toy car forcing the whole store to be cleared out!  Every morning the same group of guys stand outside the door rain or shine, running through the aisles like banshees at a cattle stampede mowing everyone or everything in their path down!!  We would go to the toy shows together, he'd point out the maroons who ran the Toys-R-Us stampede on a daily basis, with prices jacked up 5 times what they paid for the stuff.  You talk to them and every peice is an "investment" they can get what they paid for them and then some.  Sounds like the same kind of mindset doesn't it?

#23 drunknmunky

drunknmunky

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:William Mason

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I just bought the Street Burner series Revell 94 Impala SS. On the box it shows some nice looking American Racing/ Crager style wheels. In the box you simply get the stock wheels. Huge letdown.

#24 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Note the bottom left of the box, which says it's 1/16 scale. It's not -- it's the same old 1/24 kit sold under many labels. This is a typo that made it onto a ton of this kit. There never was a 1/16 version.

Picture1-4.png

Would that increase the value of the kit and perhaps be a kit to leave shrink wrapped in the box to hand down from generation to generation in hopes someday being worth a mint ?  I know I have a baseball card that has been handed down for generations that has the name misspelled which is worth a pretty penny today.  

#25 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Would that increase the value of the kit and perhaps be a kit to leave shrink wrapped in the box to hand down from generation to generation in hopes someday being worth a mint ?  I know I have a baseball card that has been handed down for generations that has the name misspelled which is worth a pretty penny today.  

I will go out on a limb and say...no.

#26 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

$T2eC16FHJGIE9nnWpr!cBQfIcmY5Iw~~60_57.J

how about this one. after so long they corrected the box art...

#27 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

The Revell Gary Ormsby Dragster comes to  mind. They printed 1991 NHRA Top Fuel Champion when he was the 1989 World Champion. Gary passed in 91 from cancer. 

#28 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

In reference to the picture of the actual model on the cover being different or showing different parts not included in the box or maybe the front wheels are posed turned when the kit doesn't offer such things? I know a guy (not mentioning names for the obvious reasons) who has built many box art models for one of the companies. Often the time constraints imposed by the company make it nigh impossible to get a completed kit back to the maker for photos. Often a substitute build already in his collection is used of the same car. But sometimes details like wheels are different. Another thing that has happened is he gets test shots sent of some weird alien plastic that will not accept paint or primer or any prep work whatsoever. So again, out from the trusty collection a different build comes.

#29 Matt LeBlanc

Matt LeBlanc

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

How about the AMT 39-40 sedan that says coupe on the box!!!

#30 cobra98

cobra98

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

The DOH Roscoe's monaco, wrong year model on box.

#31 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Shoberg

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

KGrHqRjEE7nsK3uBP0jh0kpd60_57_zps5200602

1970?  1971?  Oh, close enough.

That's the one I was thinking about and was going to mention. I had one, built the model, tossed the box, and found out about the typo later.

#32 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

The first time I can recall ever being greatly disappointed as to a kit's box's proposed contents versus what was actually in the box was the circa 1980 MPC Chevy Pickup (whose proper name escapes me at the moment) . The box art showed a stock , two-wheel-drive version in the background . It was red and it had the stock base model hubcaps !

I bought it at Gemco ; and when I got home and ripped-into the box to pour over its contents , I was astonished to find *only* 4-wheel-drive components , and absolutely no steel wheels / hubcaps !

I even wrote a letter to MPC about this abhorrent advertising ( ha ha ha ) , to which they responded in kind by offering me my choice of a free replacement kit (and I got to keep the other "disppointment" kit ! Talk about excellent P.R. !).

After that ordeal , I was en garde ! nothing was below my suspicions !

#33 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

There was the AMT 74 GTX reissue from a few years back that had a builtup model on the box art that showcased factory stock markings that are no where to be fond in the kit.

Or, the AMT SSP 69 Charger 500 kit that was basically a reboxed DOH kit with none of the factory markings shown on the box or the steel wheels with dogdish hubcaps.

Then, in regards to box top typos., how can you forget Lindbergs Ramchargers 64 Dodge Super Sport, instead of Super Stock, as it was supposed to state.

#34 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Lindberg's 64 Dodge 330 Super SPORT? Super STOCK is more like it.

#35 henry57

henry57

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I was a little upset with this one.

Attached Files

• Attached File  AMT_.jpg   100.27KB   40 downloads

#36 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Because of what? Hub caps? Center post? Please continue.

#37 henry57

henry57

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I ordered six of them when that kit came out, I had a real 57 sedan at the time.

When I got them and opened one, I was very disappointed because they were hardtops. The only other sedan was the mpc flip nose 57 which was pretty hard to find and not very accurate.

#38 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Those real car boxes were a little notorious.

#39 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Here's a good one

AMTFordVicky.jpg?t=1358732422

What is on the Box is not in the Box..

#40 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,876 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

There's no excuse for companies putting graphics on the box top that do not accurately portray what's inside. Period.

How would you feel if you bought  a set of dishes, say... because you liked the pattern shown on the box, but the pattern on the dishes in the box was completely different?