#1 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Allen Wheaton

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hi my name is Chris, I have an addiction to this website. It has my attention all day everyday. I find myself not completing a kit but watching others builds. Is this a bad addiction?

#2 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I've noticed that without moderation, it seems like people trash out for a year here. Then after overloading, disappear.

#3 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks guys. Just that some of the stuff absolutely amazes me. The scratch building and details are more than I have ever even considered trying. I must say (and no offense to anyone else) my favorite builds are Dr. Crankys

#4 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Yes, but you're also new here, and there's an overriding urge to "catch up". Then there's the thing where one thread leads into another, then someone mentions something that leads to a search and...oh my god! Next thing you know it's four in the morning, there are only about a dozen guys on, all bleary eyed with a cup of coffee in one hand and the mouse in the other clicking blindly away...is there a support group for this sort of thing? :blink:

#5 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hold on getting more coffee :P

#6 Hollywood Jim

Hollywood Jim

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Full Name:Jim F.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Thanks guys. Just that some of the stuff absolutely amazes me. The scratch building and details are more than I have ever even considered trying. I must say (and no offense to anyone else) my favorite builds are Dr. Crankys

If your favorite builds are Dr. Crankys, then your addiction is something to be concerned about; you really have a serious problem.

The only cure is to build something like Cranky would build...............

#7 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

They might throw me in the padded room :P

#8 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Really would love to learn the weathering and stuff like that though

#9 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

No need to worry about an addiction unless you have piles of WIPs , a couple of hundred kits still sealed, more paint and detail items than you know what to do with and you still decide to visit here instead of your workbench!

Me, I figure you have to fill your time with something and this has been the one hobby that is the cheapest and easiest to sell the wife on! 

#10 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Mike about six WIPs and about ten sealed and paints brushes and several sets of sandpaper and blades. And my wife still lets me buy more

#11 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,815 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Chris, PM sent to you.

#12 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

If you want to learn weathering, then Cranky's the guy! Although that isn't a fair statement. :P There are alot of stellar modelers here at weathering, he's just the one I think of first. Most of the guys here are really cool and are willing to share thier knowledge. If you see something you're curious about you could pm them, but if it's a thread here, just ask on the open board and we can all benefit.

I guess what i'm saying is, don't hesitate to ask any questions. There are always a dozen or more guys willing to give you thier thoughts. What you'll come away with is several different techniques to try and you can settle on what works best for you. It's the diversity of the board that I love. :) 

Jacen is right, we all learn from a variety of sources.  Nobody has the weathering market cornered, so to speak.  I learned from some of the best people out there the likes of Bill Borgen, Ken Hamilton, Hollywood Jim, Pat Covert, Mig Jimenez, Mr. Scratchmod, Adam Wildner, Chuck Doan, Marc Reusser . . . the list would extend for a couple of pages.

In order to come up with good ideas, you have to study other peoples' work, soak it in.  And yes, there's also a level of copying and mimicking . . . Shakespeare said it best:  NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

But you want to keep an open mind, learn, and have fun.  It's the journey, not the final product.  And you have to remember that INSPIRATION IS A TWO WAY STREET!

#13 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

No need to worry about an addiction unless you have piles of WIPs , a couple of hundred kits still sealed, more paint and detail items than you know what to do with and you still decide to visit here instead of your workbench!

Ummm....guys....I think I might have a problem......?!?

#14 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Thank you Doc. I have been attempting to watch your YouTube vids but my phone is soooooo slow. I grew up in a salvage yard so rust has always been a friend of mine and playing on all the oldies growing up is a cherished memory

What problem Potts were here to listen

#15 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

Mike about six WIPs and about ten sealed and paints brushes and several sets of sandpaper and blades. And my wife still lets me buy more

If that is all you have, then no need to worry about an addiction. That sounds like a typical weekend for many of us!  :D

Seriously though, some of us tend to buy several lifetimes worth of models and me personally, I have started to "thin the herd" as I am realizing that my building pace is about 1/10th of my buying pace!

#16 CJ1971

CJ1971

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Full Name:Cliff Caddy

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I think there's a difference between having a hobby & becoming a hoarder... I think the guys who've got more than several lifetimes worth of kits are actually hoarders & really will never be able to build them all, particularly if they have several ( 10-15 ) of the same kit. If you have more than, let's say a couple dozen kits, then you've become a hoarder...
As far as visiting this site & others, spending more time on them, then actually building, you need to set a time limit. Say 2 hours tops. Look at the stuff that give's you ideas etc & aids your skill, then get to the bench.... No point in hoarding all those kits if you're not spending time building at least 1 of them ;-) Lol
Cheers Cliff

#17 uncle potts

uncle potts

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Full Name:paul cowell

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

No point in hoarding all those kits if you're not spending time building at least 1 of them ;-) Lol

Agreed, so to the workbench I go..........

#18 clavender17

clavender17

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:chris lavender

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

You must learn moderation my little grasshopper.

hahaha lol and i thought i was the only one to still say that !!!

#19 rel14

rel14

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Layman

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

I think there's a difference between having a hobby & becoming a hoarder... I think the guys who've got more than several lifetimes worth of kits are actually hoarders & really will never be able to build them all, particularly if they have several ( 10-15 ) of the same kit. If you have more than, let's say a couple dozen kits, then you've become a hoarder...
As far as visiting this site & others, spending more time on them, then actually building, you need to set a time limit. Say 2 hours tops. Look at the stuff that give's you ideas etc & aids your skill, then get to the bench.... No point in hoarding all those kits if you're not spending time building at least 1 of them ;-) Lol
Cheers Cliff

OMG.. thats it,,I,m a model hoarder,  I need to see the Doc..   ( Do what you Love, and Love what you do.)

#20 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

In order to come up with good ideas, you have to study other peoples' work, soak it in.  And yes, there's also a level of copying and mimicking . . . Shakespeare said it best:  NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

i wonder if he got that soaking in the Bible, copying and mimicking the words of the Preacher in Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

;)

other than that i do have to side with the good docter, imitation is the highest form of flattery

we all have a common interest here and there are times when i see a fellow modeler build something that makes me think "ah-ha! thats what i need!"