#21 rhs856

rhs856

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Full Name:Randall Lyon

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

When I started building models again and found this forum, the first thing I did was go through every page of Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials and bookmarked everything I wanted to try. Then I went through every page of Under Glass and did the same thing. I'm big on soaking up as much info as I can before I start something, and this place is a great source of info (and a great time sink).

Good luck on your quest for knowledge, but make sure you put it to use on a new build, eventually!  :lol: 

#22 wheaton79chris

wheaton79chris

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Full Name:Christopher Allen Wheaton

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

Already putting a lot to use. Now just wish I could upload pics to share

#23 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Jacen is right, we all learn from a variety of sources.  Nobody has the weathering market cornered, so to speak.  I learned from some of the best people out there the likes of Bill Borgen, Ken Hamilton, Hollywood Jim, Pat Covert, Mig Jimenez, Mr. Scratchmod, Adam Wildner, Chuck Doan, Marc Reusser . . . the list would extend for a couple of pages.

In order to come up with good ideas, you have to study other peoples' work, soak it in.  And yes, there's also a level of copying and mimicking . . . Shakespeare said it best:  NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN.

Back when I was a kid, my models were the typical kid built ones.. Testors paints over bare plastic, silver brush painted trim, too low a grit sanding and no parts prep.  Then I got interested again in my 20s and got the same bad results. Why? Because I was going it myself and hadn't figured out much in the way of technique.

Then in my 30s I got interested again and found my club. Instantly guys showed me the errors of my ways and taught me proper techniques. It wasn't rocket science, but I just hadn't thought of it on my own.  The next model I did was light years better than my previous attempts! 

My own weathering inspiration came from Joe Cavorley, who I was lucky enough to have him take me under his wing and teach me weathering, scratch building and tons of other ideas.  And then over time, I've bettered some techniques, and just made others more comfortable to do for myself.  

As such, just as those helped me, I always reach out and help anyone who asks. That's what keeps this hobby alive!