Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck recommendation for a new-ish truck modeller? Opinions needed.

Hi all,

Long long ago I built a Matchbox?AMT boxed Kenworth Cabover "Papa truck" transporter and an AMT/ERTL Mack R conventional. I managed to get both together without much fuss and even less paint, but I was 14 and happy (apart from the AMT decals disintegrating when placed within 10 feet of water).

It's great to see the Round 2 re-releases in the LMS and I have the Fruehauf beaded van trailer and the K-123 cabover aside for collection at my next visit. Any tips or hints on what I should look out for on the build of either?

I'd love if the old Budweiser decals were still available...

I'd also like to add a conventional or 2 to the scale truck stop in the future, and I've heard a few horror stories on some of the old AMT kits. I'd do the Mack again, but 1; it's not available and 2; it doesn't come with a sleeper cab.

Would you recommend a Kenworth or Peterbilt Conventional? I'm looking for the least fussiest build with decent fit if possible. The LMS has the White Road Boss in stock as well, any good?

Lastly, what are your opinions of the Revell Peterbilt and Kenworth Conventional kits? I see them on sale for a decent price including shipping.

Thanks,

Roy

I haven't built any AMT truck kits for a few years now, but I have the Chevy Titan 90 in the stash, (I bought it from Marks Models in Dublin), I've heard it's a pretty nice kit to build.

I have built both the Revell kits you mention, the Peterbilt 359 wasn't a nice kit to build, so many ill fitting parts, but the Kenworth W900 was a reall nice kit to build, also as your into trucks, have you looked at Italeri ?? I've buit many of there truck models and never had any real problem, there Peterbilt kits almost build themselves.

Thanks for the link on the decals, soooo cool!

I'll have to get the Peterbilt Cabover now as well to use them on!

Any tips for the K-123/trailer build?

On the KW just watch the exhuast pipe other an that you good to go, the trailer is easy to build stright forward no real tips on that one.

Great stuff, thanks all.

Will see how I get on with the first KW and trailer before I go on, but I like the look of the new Moebuis/RoG Lonestar. Quite fancy having a conventional of some sort pulling the chrome tanker and another with the flatbed. Those bud decals call for a Pete cabover and another Frehauf van trailer. Suddenly the wallet is sweating again!

Cheers,

Roy

As far as the Revell Pete and KW kits, I personally love them! The wheels and tires can be a pain to assemble, sometimes but they're doable. I love them for their price and versatility. I can cut into one, stretch a frame or whatever and not have to worry about boogering a $50-$60 kit. I've built two and have three more in the works... They're both pretty much identical kits except, obviously, for the cab/hood/sleeper. They use the same chassis, running gear and 3406 engine in both kits. Hope this helps!

Italiari kits are ok but the US rigs have gineric chassis and engines from the freightliner .I prefer the AMT rigs and revell the detail is much better ok they have there problems but nothing to bad . If you want a tough rig to biuld get a ertl DM 800 mixer its accurate but nearly every part has to be worked to fit perfectly ! with a lot of work they do make a very nice rig .