I am sure many of you are familiar with Tom Danials Red Barron kit. It is a rather old kit, but our model club(San Diego Model Car Club) got a hold of a case of them courtsy of one of our members. It is now our common kit, club build for the year. Since I am not a resonable person, I could not leave well enough alone and decided that I did not like it as it was, so I decided to convert it into a differant but recognizable build. The color scheme will be black, brass and aluminum and I am going to add what I consider some retro-updates. The conversion is going to try to take it from WW1 into WW2 as a theme. Here is the start of the build.
First thing that I decided to change was the stance and the tires. The the kit tires are a little dated. They are narrow and give a '50s agressiveness. I choose to go wider. I had some F1 rain tires that have been begging for a model for a while. I started by turning some rims to accomidate the larger tires.
After that, I didn't like the low detail of the rear axle and so I turned a couple of differant axles and made a new set of springs from brass shim stock.
Having done that, I really didn't like the engine which is a WW1 mercedes aircraft engine. To spruce it up cut off the old cylinders,
and make some new cylinders from aluminum.
Ok, that is enough for tonight. I will add more as I go along.