Ok, I have not posted in a while. It took me this long and a lot of metal scrap to feel confidant enough with the mill to move on the this part. This is the start of the new head for the new engine in brass. First of all, I must state for the record, once again, this is not ment to replicate a Mercedes D III which was suppose to be what was in the original Red Barron. It is no where close to the size of that engine in 1:24th scale. This is much smaller. For that reason I have decided to create a somewhat custom version of that engine, taking the inspiration from it and making it in a " of the style of" a 1900's aviation engine. This is the head. It is going to be a pushrod style with exposed valve rockers arms. Having said this here is the basic machining that I have done so far.
I started with a .5" X .5" X 2" piece of brass and cut it down to the size I wanted and laid out the basic positions of the exposed pieces. I then cut everything square but a lot thicker than the final piece will be when it is done. I then used a 1/16" ball end mill to cut the grooves on either side of what would be the central supports for the rocker arms.
I then cut the ends of the supports.
Then I cut the sides of each of the supports. I used a ball end to create a "cast" look. I also milled the sides where the hold down bolts will go to hold the top of the supports.
I then drilled the hole for the .025" stainless steel tubing on which I will mount the rocker arms.
I included this last shot to give it some perspective.
As I mentioned before I am taking classes to get my certification to teach ground school to pilots so this project is going slower that I would like, but I do need to study but Tuesday is my last class for the summer. Perhaps I can get a bit more done after that.
I hope you enjoy the work. I certainly am.
Edited by Pete J., 18 May 2013 - 08:50 PM.