Converting the Red Barron to the Black Knight
Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:46 AM
Amazing work. The Baron is coming along great. Also love the desk upgrade. I need to partition my drawer in my drafting table the way you did. Great idea.
Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:52 PM
What has been done here was to set this up to display it as a cutaway style model. The problem was how to do the cowl and the cowl flaps. The cowls on the real deal are a top and bottom clamshell design. I wanted a left side/right side display. So I soldered the top and bottom pieces together(they are white metal) and then cut down the centerline with my jewelers saw. I replaced the kit cowl flaps which are closed, with a set in the open position and made of individual plates soldered together. Here you see the right side painted a semi-gloss black and mounted with the open flaps. The metal finish piece is the original cowl with the closed flaps. I think the open flaps is a much nicer looking piece.
This shot shows the open side. I left the cowl flaps in their natural polished brass to highlight the work. They have a clear coat over them to prevent tarnish. I decided to open the flaps because in the kits closed position the exhaust was fully covered and I really like to heat discoloration that I did. It came out well.
The rest are just different views.
Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:22 AM
this is a nice way to push modelism to a next level,, i'm realy amazed