#41 impcon

impcon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Cook

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

How about a fresh '58 Ford kit - retractable, hardtop or convertible to compliment the new '57 by Revell? And you can add a '59 hardtop and convertible to that. Or maybe a REAL 73-79 Ford pickup in half ton form and not the Super Camper Special that AMT released 'way back when..???

#42 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

does Brett has some "special" connections ? ;)

#43 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

The problem with asking individuals what kits they want is everybody has their own pet projects. People want to build the <insert year> <insert obscure, off brand car here> that few others would care to have. When you solicit ideas with no constraints you will inevitably end up with a huge list of wildly different ideas and subjects. In short, it's useless. Most people don't look at the situation beyond themselves - "I would love a model of..." - and NOT "here's model will the MOST people want and has multiple building options and opportunities for additional kits.

Just about every thread ever started on this subject gets as many requests as there are posts.

That being said, I will go on their FB site and request something with four doors and a wagon of some sort as well as a mid-seventies economy car that wasn't even popular when new.

Carve that in stone. Those type of threads grow like weeds.

#44 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Why? Revell already has a 68' Chevelle!

:lol:  Revell does NOT have a '68 Chevelle. AMT made a '68 that was converted to the '69,but it leaves a lot to be desired. Round2 could pull off a '68 or '69 fairly easily.

#45 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

A corrected body for the '58 Plymouth Belvedere kit would make me happy.

#46 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Initially I didn't start the thread to end up as another I wish for a....... I just wanted to let guys who build know that round 2 was looking for input. I may live in a fantasy world but I do believe the guys that handle new projects and marketing surf these boards to see what the next big new kit or reissue could be. Where SAE (not SAM) used to do the top 10 most requested kits the manufactures did listen. Sure it took time but I believe there is never a better time than now to be a car modeler. Between the new technology and the restoration of old tooling for re-issues the variety is greater than it ever has been.

Edited by Blown03SVT, 22 January 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#47 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I am pretty sure it isn't bogus. There may be some difficulty with the way the link is posted, or with browser settings. If you have a facebook account forget the link and do a search for round 2 models. I do agree most people want very special items but eventually alot of people tend to ask for similar items. Think of all the kits that were not main stream over the years. Because 10 years old want to build Hudsons, or Edsels...? No, the seasoned builders asked for kits like these long enough and they were rewarded when they finally made it to production. If the question is out there at to what new kits you would like to see, what could it hurt to throw you input out there?

Everything I get when accessing them via my own Facebook page shows that it's legit.

http://www.facebook.com/Round2Models

Well, like I said, I cannot access a legit facebook page with my filter on.  Your link does not work Skip, but the ip's does.

#48 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Full Name:Christian

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

AMT_1963_Wagoneer.jpg

AMT_JeepStationWagon.jpg

AMT_1971_Riviera_GS.jpg

AMT_Marauder_X100.jpg

AMT_72_Fury.jpg

AMT_78_Thunderbird.jpg

#49 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

AMT_70_Chrysler.jpg

AMT_72_Monaco.jpg

AMT_65_Monza.jpg

AMT_61_Greenbriar.jpg

AMT_62_Monza.jpg

That'll do me for this year, thank you.

The ones I want next year I'll post in September.

#50 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Well, like I said, I cannot access a legit facebook page with my filter on.  Your link does not work Skip, but the ip's does.

Maybe it's a mobile thing. Works just fine on my iMac with Safari, but not with my daughter's iPhone on Google Chrome.

#51 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Oh, and they could reissue the 1/16 stuff, i.e. the 55 and 57 Chevies and the 55 and 57 Thunderbirds.

They should not, under any circumstances, think about ever releasing the missing '56es, or expand the series otherwise in any way.

They must remain as backward, inflexible and rigid as they proved themselves over the past 40 years.

#52 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,483 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Oh, and they could reissue the 1/16 stuff, i.e. the 55 and 57 Chevies and the 55 and 57 Thunderbirds.

They should not, under any circumstances, think about ever releasing the missing '56es, or expand the series otherwise in any way.

They must remain as backward, inflexible and rigid as they proved themselves over the past 40 years.

Well, Round 2 hasn't been around for 40 years, so it's going to be tough to live up to that. It's a relatively new company that bought these brands within the last couple of years, and is working to resurrect them. Hence a current desire to find out what modelers want.

Edited by sjordan2, 22 January 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#53 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

R2 - please provide us with a guide map.  Let us know what molds you have or potentially have access to - then let us then rate them.  A poll on the website would work perfectly, similar to the one you had with the decals, extra parts, etc.  

I will send this to R2 - they are fairly responsive to emails and contacts.  Hopefully something like this will work.

#54 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Christian, I'd take any of those C Body Mopars, We need a modern tool C body.

Nick

#55 darquewanderer

darquewanderer

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Oh wow junkman. Just about everything you posted I want. Especially the C body Mopars.

#56 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Didn't that just get reissued as the Police Interceptor?

Nope... There is a big difference between the 70 4 door interceptor sedan and the 70 LTD 4door HT....LTD looks much more cool and has a classy appearance with its different nose and hood...though both kits are nice. 

#57 Tom Kren

Tom Kren

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kren

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

RE DO OR KIT UP A NEW NOVA WAGON!!!

#58 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

Just bring it ALL back and more new stuff too. We'll buy it.

#59 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,450 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Reading through the last 20 or so posts...

Erik is right to a degree. People do request kits that would certainly put any model company out of business quickly!  They may sell a case or two of the Ford Fairmont 4 door sedan. The rest of them would be headed for the close out stores. But at the same time, ask enough people and you wind up with a list like SAE used to post.  If you look back, the manufacturers have kitted nearly everything on that list!

The thing Round 2 didn't answer (btw, the Facebook page is legit) is if they are at the point of doing new tools. That changes the game a whole lot.  Plus we still don't know what they've found in the magic warehouse (they're more astute than the previous operators) that they'd invest some money in restoring.  For instance tools are often missing chrome trees, glass shots, tail light red shots, and tire molds because those were separate from the main tool and get separated.  Those are fairly easy fixes. If a tool is missing or needs a total retool on a major part like a body, that's a whole  'nuther thing. It gets expensive and they have to carefully deduce if they can do it feasibly.  For instance, take the 1963 Nova wagon...  it's there as that gasser / funnycar but how much to reproduce the tools to get it back to the stock issue?  Might as well start over.

Stuff that they may have but won't sell well...  it's been said over and over that a few high dollar sales of an obscure kit on eBay doesn't translate into a kit that will sell thousands if reissued.  On eBay you just need two nostalgic guys with deep pockets to get the price up.   Things that really haven't done all that well... show cars.  I've bought the Barris T dune buggy, the moon buggy thing, etc for $5 at shows. They're also likely to show up as door prizes!  Large scale kits don't do big numbers.  Dave Burket had a hard time getting rid of all his Vega funny cars.  Old luxury cars... same thing with the 70 Buick and T-Bird he did. Even the old Craftsman '64 Comet didn't sell out quick. On the other hand anything straight line.. gassers, funny cars, pro stocks etc, especially with authentic decals, fall off the shelf!

There are kits that would sell quickly.  The '53 Studebaker kit. Try finding them on the secondary market.  Same with the 79 Ford pickup Model King did.  There are a bunch of kits run in the past 10 years, that could be run without much problem. Do the Round 2 magic of adding extra value to the kit, put it in the original box and you have another winner.

I also think the old Dodge van,  with a newly retooled grill would be as good as the Chevy vans they've been doing. We are having a nostalgic resurgence of vans in the hobby. The last release with a legit grill in it had the high end, 4 headlight grill. This time why not put the low end 2 headlight grill? And look at the tool to see if any of the old options are in there like the work benches, custom van accessories and check the clear glass tool for the old port hole window shapes! I think we're more likely to see creative reuses than new tools from them for a while.  Still hoping they'll surprise me though!

Edited by Tom Geiger, 23 January 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#60 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

Well, Round 2 hasn't been around for 40 years, so it's going to be tough to live up to that. It's a relatively new company that bought these brands within the last couple of years, and is working to resurrect them. Hence a current desire to find out what modelers want.

I'm sick and tired of excuses. Heard them too often the past 40 years.

Meanwhile the diecast boys rack in the billions.