Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Rusty Wallace's "LAst call" 2005 Charger

David Thibodeau

With the Pirates of The Carribean Pontiac pretty much buttoned up ( Finished pics of it soon) I decided to pull this one back out. I began this car about 6 months ago and shelved it due to a lack of interest. You know how those sporatic projects look awesome but then the fire goes out? :runaround:

Well with Clay doing a fantastic job on his 2006 Kahn charger that he converted from a 2006 Monte Carlo, I found that spark to get back on my 2005 Conversion of a 2004 Intrepid into a Martinsville short track charger. This will be another superdetailer I plan on bringing to Atlanta in November to accompany my Pirates Pontiac.

Here is the real car. I decided to try to make it a Martinsville short track car because Rusty did well at that track in his career.

nascarcup2005marbh0144-vi.jpg

Doing the body mods were first on the list. Below is a sequence of pics on how I did it. I started with a 2004 Intrepid kit and hogged out the lights and center grill and added sheet plastic backing to them and the rest is all 2 part tamiya putty and alot of sculpting......(forgive these pics, I have really worked on my picture quality and these are 6 months back!)

P1010001-vi.jpg

P1010009-vi.jpg

P1010014-vi.jpg

Once I had the nose right to my liking I concentrated on the rest of the body mods for superdetail fashion. Cutting out the roof flaps, center air cleaner cowl, hinging the hood and reat trunk as well as underhood bracing, reshaping the c pillar windows, etc etc.....

P1010031-vi.jpg

P1010033-vi.jpg

P1010034-vi.jpg

P1010002-vi.jpg

P1010005-vi.jpg

Next up was paint!! I painted the entire car in Tamiya Mica blue. I feel its a dead match to the 2005 blue which is alot lighter than the previous years dark metallic blue. This paint was followed by 3 nice coats og PPG omni 2 part urethane.

Body2-vi.jpg

Body3-vi.jpg

Once the clear had dried it was polished with perfect it III 3M compound after it was wetsanded with 2000 grit paper. Then JWTBM decals were applied and the body came to life!!

P1010025-vi.jpg

P1010026-vi.jpg

P1010027-vi.jpg

P1010028-vi.jpg

P1010029-vi.jpg

The body was set aside and CHassis work begins.... I had built a chassis for this car, but it ended up in the pirates ride!!!

Here are a few pics of what is utilized from the chassis in the kit.

P1010030-vi.jpg

P1010031-vi.jpg

The rest is scratch built with .080 styrene tubing along with other bits and pieces....

P1010024-vi.jpg

This car will feature a unique drag link setup for the rear suspension. Scratch built perches were made over the fuel tank. I also added new chassis bars versus a solid wheel well.

P1010025-vi.jpg

More updates soon....

DaveT

Thanks again guys...

I started adding detail to the chassis. Upper A-arm detail complete with bolts and Jackbolt detail. Those are real brass ball joints from RB motion in the A Arms! P/S Box is painted and plumbed as well as a scratchbuilt oil filter assembly. The filter itself is a metalcast piece from Pro tech but the upper delivery area is all scratchbuilt.

P1010039-vi.jpg

Gear shifter boot is made from various sizes of black plastic. The Shifter rod is #4 Detailmaster hardline and the knob is a #4 compression fitting. I wanted to go different on this shifter than usual.All rollbar padding is also in place. It is from pro tech as well a new item and is extremely convinving in my opinion. Floor mat was made from black plastic and the drivers side protective matt is made from thin aluminum painted black.

P1010040-vi.jpg

SInce this will be a short track car I plan on having many cooling hoses routed to the side windows. The center plate closest to the oil tank will be for duct work below the car to cool the rear brakes. The other plate is for the rear diff cooler.

P1010041-vi.jpg

Rear fuel cell was scratch built from Styrene sheet and square rod and painted Tamiya Gloss black. As you can see the theme of this car is black Nylon braided line. It is Pro tech line painted flat black with testors Acryl line bottle paint. I chose silver collars and blue line and fittings because 95% of all the 2005 Penske chargers I have seen in pics use black line. The fuel filter is scratch built from aluminum tubing. The photoetch plates with the black tape over them are small doors to allow the teams to adjust the rear shocks. Something they do alot at short tracks like Martinsville

P1010042-vi.jpg

FInally photos of what I have done with the body on to see how its starting to look interesting with different color and detail

P1010043-vi.jpg

P1010044-vi.jpg

P1010045-vi.jpg

Wow, talk about details!!! I'm also a Rusty fan, but I've built slot cars. Just wanted to show the latest, it was finished last year. I also started with the 2004 kit, but backdated it for the sleeker front end. Here's a pic of the finished car at our slot track.

IMG_0649.jpg

If you click my photobucket link, there's a sub-album: "Rusty Wallace Dodge" showing the construction. I'd just might show how it was done, in the slot section.....

Edited by Modellpularn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

A small update. I forgot to "frame in" the speedway window. This will be open since its a short track car. I made a frame from a template of the window made from masking tape. Painted it TS-50 followed by clear. Then I carefully glued it in place.

here is the window before:

P1010027-vi.jpg

Here it is now:

P1010052-vi.jpg

I also completed the seat! Straight forward kit seat with a few mods added. Like leg bolsters, metal upper bracing, and Pro tech bolts and seat belts. The impact decals on the belts were made by Clay.... thanks again buddy.... these decals set off the belts and are what Rusty ran on his 1:1 Car...

P1010068-vi.jpg

P1010070-vi.jpg

Next up is the engine!!

Thanks for looking!

DaveT

• 2 weeks later...

Not a big fan of Nascar but definetly a big fan of talent and you are an awesome builder man, one thing about these cars is the amount of detail that can be put in them, I really appreciate the work you guys put into these creations, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again!!

I am diligently working on this one to add to the Atlanta show,

Rear suspension is complete. Since this is a short track martinsville car I added some brake ducts made out of wire wrapped with BMF......

P1010023-vi.jpg

Here is a shot with the body on.....

P1010025-vi.jpg

With the rear suspension out of the way, I focused on mods on the dash.. the kit dash was used but a new tray was made on the passenger side to accomodate the electronics that will be there soon!! Gauge bezels really set the dash off from Machine Works Indy (clay)

P1010024-vi.jpg

And with the body on.....

P1010026-vi.jpg

More updates soon!

DaveT

Ahhh, Dave, you never cease to fail us! I think that's the first time I've seen you do duct work on the rear brakes! Looks awesome...... Clay should mass prduce those gauges, good 'ol MWI! What is the extra bar in the rear? The brass one... an extra stabilizer or something?

• 3 months later...
Ahhh, Dave, you never cease to fail us! I think that's the first time I've seen you do duct work on the rear brakes! Looks awesome...... Clay should mass prduce those gauges, good 'ol MWI! What is the extra bar in the rear? The brass one... an extra stabilizer or something?

Jamie,

Short track cars have these setups for added handling.....

More is done on this one!! (Gregg can this be moved to the NASCAR section?)

Decided to get back on this one for the weekend..

Engine is in!!!

more detail needs to be added but its in!

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010009-vi.jpg

P1010010-vi.jpg

With body on:

P1010011-vi.jpg

P1010012-vi.jpg

P1010014-vi.jpg

Roof decal applied:

P1010013-vi.jpg

Tire detail complete:

P1010015-vi.jpg