Anyone have photos of Jim Bucher's Chevy AA/FD?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

I've wanted to do a model of this car for a long time but photos are as rare as honest politicians. Anyone have some to share? Thanks, Dan H.

#2 tbusch

tbusch

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Buschmann

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I've wanted to do a model of this car for a long time but photos are as rare as honest politicians. Anyone have some to share? Thanks, Dan H.

It is the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala FL. If I knew someone needed good photos I would have took more

PICT7022_zps61f16fa1.jpg

PICT7020_zpsf778f0ac.jpg

#3 hOLMS

hOLMS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Holmes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Well Dan H, there you go.......you done yet? Just kidding, please post if you build, would love to see your progress!

Terry, beautiful pix!!! Thanks for sharing with us...

#4 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hey Joliet... my parents went to the Don Garlits Museum when they went to visit my aunt and uncle a few years ago and they took some pics and I just happen to have this one of the dragster....

DSC00222.jpg

#5 tbusch

tbusch

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

One More

PICT7021_zps5dc9867a.jpg

#6 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

1.jpg

#7 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thanks guys! The fact that he was competitive with the big block Chevy just makes this a tempting build. The detail picks of the engine are extra cool! I was researching a Clayton Harris car back when Clayton was still alive and I could never find a good picture of the front top of the body. I could see it was a figure but couldn't make it out. A friend of mine knew him so I asked him to find out what it was. He gave me Clayton's phone number but I didn't call him, not wanting to bother him. About a month later the phone rang and a guy said "Is this Dan?" I said yes, he said Hi, this is Clayton Harris. Joe said you had a question about one of my cars. We talked for about 10 minutes, the figure on the car was Bugs Bunny. He was killed in a plane crash a couple of months later. He sure seemed like an everyday nice guy. Thanks to you all for your help!

#8 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I keep hoping that Revell or Round 2 would release one of the better rear engined dragsters so we would have more decals available. I'd love to build three cars, the Jim Bucher (world's fastest Chevy) Clayton Harris' New Dimension fueler (one of the few cars to be able to compete with Garlits the first year of the rear engined dragsters and the Kentucky Moonshiner of Frakes and Funk.

#9 mysterj1

mysterj1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Great subject!  I remember always cheering Jim Bucher back in the day (figuratively, had to rely on whatever magazine's covered it back then).  Love to see this come to fruition!

#10 tbusch

tbusch

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Some info

PICT7019_zps1e2f1adb.jpg

#11 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Very cool subject and pictures.  I was thinking of building a Chevy Ratmotor FD using the new Young American without the front body panels....these engine picks would be a great reference for that project.  Thanks...TIM