#1 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

This kit is being re-released very soon and I was wondering if anyone has built the original and has pictures of it?

Whoever has the new version is more than welcome to chime in and share pictures/information regarding the kit.

Thanks.

Here is the link:

http://www.round2mod...t/1962-corvette

#2 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Not mine, but here's an original which was listed on eBay:

#3 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Ah, that was the Riptide Vette too! I remember reading something about the headlights being too small for the car and I guess those pics confirm it.

#4 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

With the release of the new Revell '62 I was hoping that they would let this ancient AMT mold die a quiet death so as not to face comparison with the new kit.

I built one a number of years ago and keep it on the shelf with the nose facing the back so that I don't have to see the inaccurately shaped front end.

If you want a toss together weekend project go for it but if you want a better looking, more detailed and more accurate '62 Vette dig up a little extra money and get the new Revell kit, you won't regret the decision.

#5 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

My guess is AMT will capitalize on the Hardtop, decal sheet, and tires. Round2 has made some of these older kits more desireable by including some nice accessories.

#6 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

My guess is AMT will capitalize on the Hardtop, decal sheet, and tires. Round2 has made some of these older kits more desireable by including some nice accessories.

I agree 100%. If the decal sheet works on the Revell kit's body, I'm sure some people will buy the AMT kit for that reason alone.

#7 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

I agree 100%. If the decal sheet works on the Revell kit's body, I'm sure some people will buy the AMT kit for that reason alone.

The Sock it to Me decals from the original 1969 Trophy Series release fit the new Revell '62 Corvette body perfectly.  Hopefully the ones from the new reissue will do the same. 

TIM 

PS - the original Sock it to Me has some VERY nice narrow'n'deep Halibrand 5 slot mags - the fronts molded with open hubs (bearing caps showing), which made it through to the Countdown Series reissue but were replaced in subsequent issues by the late 1970's ribbed ("Cyclone II?") wheels....hopefully AMT will restore these slot mag wheels in their original form, because they are perfect 1960's vintage pieces and I've never seen them rendered in this way in any other 1/25th scale kit. 

TB 

Edited by tim boyd, 26 January 2013 - 03:42 AM.

#8 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

I built one of these sock-it-to-me kits a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, And will buy one again if for nothing else but the memories factor. Will I build another today? doubt it....       Although the decals on a new Revell body might not be a bad idea either.

Great !!!!!!! Another project idea ,,,,like I really need another one !!!!!! :rolleyes:

#9 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Tim, I just checked the latest version of that kit I have , the "Swing'n '60s" serise version from 2007. Those slotted wheels are indeed back in there instead of the turbines.

The slots (or retooled copies of them) were also in the 50th Anniversary series issue of the '62 Vette.

#10 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,214 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Interesting that the "SOCK IT TO ME" decal will be included this time around, as I thought that reference had been mostly lost over the years:

#11 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Tim, I just checked the latest version of that kit I have , the "Swing'n '60s" serise version from 2007. Those slotted wheels are indeed back in there instead of the turbines.

Steve & Don....really? I bought several of what I thought were the most recent '62 Corvette reissues and the slots were nowhere to be found. Thanks for the heads-up...and I guess that bodes well for the redone Sock it To Me. TIM

#12 pack rat

pack rat

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Wherry

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

The Round2 release has re-tooled slotted wheels.  The original wheels had a textured surface on the face of the wheel that was unique to the SOTM Vette as I remember it. 

I was told that the wheel surfaces had been "smoothed" at some point and were being modified to resemble the originals. 

The slotted mags appearing in any Ertl/RC2 issue of the '62 wasn't mentioned....it's new to me too  

#13 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Interesting that the "SOCK IT TO ME" decal will be included this time around, as I thought that reference had been mostly lost over the years:

attachicon.gifsitm2.JPG

You bet your sweet bippy!

#14 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

The box art of the new release shows what looks like a partial hood scoop and a twin-blower setup...don't recall the Countdown Series issue or the '07 issue having those parts.

#15 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'll take some pics of the '07 version and post them later Rob. They're definitly in that issue. I've looked at it twice already today. ;)

Ok..cool..I used to never pay much attention to the non-stock parts in kits, so I missed them..

#16 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I just compared the chrome tree of the 2007 issue to the "Countdown" version from the '70's.  The countdown wheels do have the rexturing but the newer wheels look to be smoothed out some. There's still some texturing to them, just finer. Makes the centers look almost like satin plating.

BTW, the drag strait axel is on the tree of the 2007 kit along with the dual blowers and moon tank and I'm pretty sure the the rest of the drag parts are all in there.

Looks like everything to the Sock it to Me version is in the 2007 box except the decals.

Yeah, I also think everything for the Sock It To Me kit was in the last two reissues. I think the slots might have been retooled for the 50th Ann. kit, because it looked like the parting lines on the slots themselves had changed which would be an indication that they are from different inserts. I know the texture wasn't near as prominent either, but I wasn't sure if that was because of heavy undercoating under the vacuum metalizing. Glad to hear they are retexturing them either way....I agree with Tim that the originals are very nice vintage mags.

I have an unbuilt original Sock It Too Me--and the other '60s Trophy Series issue of the '62--but I'm looking forward to this reissue too.

Edited by Don Sikora II, 26 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#17 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

The only thing I see that was missing from my '80s release is the strait axle. However, it did have a tonneau cover for the passenger seat which I do not see here.

#18 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Ah...ok, so the Countdown Series doesn't have the drag parts...that's how I remember it, built it as a kid.   I saw the pic above and realized I don't have the '07 issue--I have the '07 issue of the '59 Corvette, which was shown in gold on the box IIRC.  Never had the '80s issue.  I also have one that I bought as a builtup w/ an opening decklid, must be a '60s issue?

Edited by Rob Hall, 26 January 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#19 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm surprised the drag parts are missing from the '60s Sizzle kit, since they are in the 50th Anniversary issue from about 2002 or 2003. I built this unpainted one from a 50th Ann. kit a couple years ago to see how it would look. Think I added the tires, but everything else was in the kit. The open steel wheels that were in the original Sock It Too Me are in the 50th kit too, but they need holes drilled to fit the wire axles.

IMG_0446_zpsfe996801.jpgIMG_0447_zps3a07f2c0.jpg

#20 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Ah...ok, so the Countdown Series doesn't have the drag parts...that's how I remember it, built it as a kid.   I saw the pic above and realized I don't have the '07 issue--I have the '07 issue of the '59 Corvette, which was shown in gold on the box IIRC.  Never had the '80s issue.  I also have one that I bought as a builtup w/ an opening decklid, must be a '60s issue?

The original '62 Vette annual kit had an opening trunk. When it was reworked for the late '60s reissues, the opening trunk was eliminated.