• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

#41 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Round 2/AMT is aware of the issue with the tires and will issue extra tires if you want them.  Though honestly, anyone that buys this kit  to build stock doesn't deserve a full set of tires... :D

#42 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

It's actually over 50 years old..

Yup, it has roots in the old annual kit/promo, amirite? 

#43 DR Dubois

DR Dubois

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Not sure which issue of the kit this was but built about 15 years ago and it came with the double blowers and all needed components. Not a terrible kit but a real shame about those under sized headlights!

009_zps621b156e.jpg

007_zpsa7cbc065.jpg

61corvette_frnt.jpg

61corvette_bk.jpg

61corvette_eng.jpg

#44 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yup, it has roots in the old annual kit/promo, amirite? 

Yes...I have one of the '62 annuals, has an opening trunk..don't know if any of the later issues had that detail.  The circa-1978 'Countdown Series' issue I built as a kid doesn't.

#45 Steve Prideaux

Steve Prideaux

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Prideaux

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

The 1961 Corvette, was the last, to have wide whitewall tires. In 1962 the whitewall from the factory, was 1 inch  to 1 1/14 inch wide.                                                                    Steve Prideaux

#46 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yes...I have one of the '62 annuals, has an opening trunk..don't know if any of the later issues had that detail. 

Does that issue have the undersized headlights ?

#47 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I believe so... I don't think those parts ever changed over the years. 

#48 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,307 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Undersized headlights? What undersized headlights?

amt621.jpg

Ohhhhh, thooooose undersized headlights.  :lol:  :huh:  Suddenly the mold seam on the Revell '62 doesn't look so bad...

I almost wonder if this kit was supposed to include separate chrome plated headlight surrounds, as the box art suggests:

amt622.jpg

I know box art from the '60s was done with some creative leeway, but still, the surrounds are there on the box art, so something must've happened along the way. Did MPC ever include clear headlight lenses on any of it's 1/25 scale kits, or were they all chrome plated? It would've made sense to mold them into the headlight surrounds if they were going to be chrome plated, too.

amt623.jpg

Maybe the lack of surrounds had something to do with the streamlined headlight covers, but that makes even less sense, since they could made the covers and stock surround have the exact same base shape.

amt624.jpg

#49 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Interesting...the instruction sheet for the 2013 reissue shows clear headlight lenses and chrome bases with a center "stem" for the custom build option.

#50 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

Only 58-60's had the chrome bezels.  61's and 62's were body color.  You could put 58-60 bezels on a 61-62 if you wanted to "dress" them up a little.   

62's didn't have the contrasting cove or the garnish molding around it.  That green drag box-art car looks like a 60 with the cove "vents" and the rear end altered to look like a 62.  60's had a large round emblem and no "Corvette" lettering.  62's had a similiar round emblem, but it sat closer to the hood to fit the "Corvette" lettering between it and the grille.   

The "custom" headlights are the typical Lucas-style lights with the bulb reflector that AMT put in just about everything during that period. Problem with them is you can never get the "reflector" centered in the hole in the lens, it's always too big and off center. 

The AMT kit is a hot mess, it always has been, from day one.  The Revell kit was sorely needed, I know everybody cries "not another 'Vette", but the 62 is rather unique and had never been done well by anybody. 

Edited by Brett Barrow, 22 March 2013 - 05:03 AM.

#51 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Only 58-60's had the chrome bezels.  61's and 62's were body color.  You could put 58-60 bezels on a 61-62 if you wanted to "dress" them up a little.   

62's didn't have the contrasting cove or the garnish molding around it.  That green drag box-art car looks like a 60 with the cove "vents" and the rear end altered to look like a 62.  

Ah, that would make sense.

The "custom" headlights are the typical Lucas-style lights with the bulb reflector that AMT put in just about everything during that period.

I recall the '59 El Camino kit included 'em, too. Here's a real '60-'62 Vette with what appear to be Lucas headlights:

6439012d-963a-46c8-b9d2-17a5f00471f8.jpg

#52 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

I think just about every AMT 3 in 1 kit from the early sixties had Lucas headlights as a customizing part.  Probably harder to find one that didn't have them.  Some had the tri-bar style and others had the smooth lens with the reflector like you show.  They put both styles in the Bumpers and Grilles parts pack. 

I remember reading a tip (it may be on here) to use googly eyes from the craft store for the lens part, just cut the back off and use the clear front. The post doesn't stick through, but it looks better than the off-center hole. 

I need to track down some that fit the Revell bezels to use on mine, I think they're a cool period custom touch, even though I don't understand why anyone would want to put a British-made electrical component on their car... <_<  

#53 ss2000

ss2000

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Starry

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Any pics of an orange molded one?

#54 doulane1

doulane1

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Full Name:Jamie Cline

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Looks like one here, in the orange sparkle.http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1

#55 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Round 2/AMT is aware of the issue with the tires and will issue extra tires if you want them.  Though honestly, anyone that buys this kit  to build stock doesn't deserve a full set of tires... :D

Good info. I'm thinking about the Bonneville racer options and the tires offered just won't get it done.

By the way, this kit really is everything said about it, but the slotted mags are very well done. I bought one today to build as a quick box stock build for contest.

Edited by Jantrix, 28 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.