61 Impala from the 24 Hour Build Thread!

Repainted 02/02/13

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

#41 kenss

kenss

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:ken stanley

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

NICE WORK TERRY CAN YOU SHOW MORE PICS ON YOUR ENGINE STAND YOU GOT THERE LOOKS LIKE A WIRE STUCK IN THE TRANS? THANKS KEN

#42 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

NICE WORK TERRY CAN YOU SHOW MORE PICS ON YOUR ENGINE STAND YOU GOT THERE LOOKS LIKE A WIRE STUCK IN THE TRANS? THANKS KEN

At first I was going to say that it's just the stand from the 34 Ford pickup kit until I looked at the photo you were referring to. Then I had to chuckle a bit...because it's just a chunk of styrofoam...you know...like the kind that comes as packing in most electronics boxes. I think this stuff came out of a box our TV was in when I unboxed it.  I keep some of that stuff around for a few purposes and I wrap the perimeter of it with some tape just to hold it together better and it eliminates the stuff from crumbling off.  Mostly I keep it on the bench because it's great for sticking sharp pointy things into it and they can be removed easily. I usually shove my X-Acto knives in a piece of it like in the picture.  As for the engine stand part of it, that's a toothpick stuck into the tailshaft of the tranny and then into the side of the styrofoam block. But the styrofoam is so light I had to put a weight on top of it so the engine wouldn't fall over. So I just picked up the nearest heavy item in my wingspan at the time...my bench block.  (Which incidentally, I made back in 1971 when I was a student in the Tool & Die Making course at Norwich Tech!)  The tape helps the toothpick to stay in place too. I also use these blocks for spraying small items. I roll up some masking tape and stick a piece to the backside of the item I want to paint and then stick it to one of these blocks...then spray away.  Makes it easy to handle the small parts also when you want to put them in the dehydrator. Any blocks that I want to use for painting though I cover completely with masking tape lest any foam particles escape and get in the paint!

P2010403-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P2010404-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

#43 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Got it all painted...again!  LOL   HOK Black added topped with 3 coats automotive urethane clear. I'll let it cure for a couple of days and then color sand it and buff it out.  But I'm still not happy with the color. The real one I am trying to come close to was not a Kandy color. It was Dupont 2002 Prowler Orange Pearl.  So I bought another kit and I went to my local automotive paint store and had them mix me up 4 ozs of that color and that's what I plan to shoot the next one in!  But that's okay...building this one prepares me for the next one!

P2020410-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P2020413-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P2020416-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

P2020417-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

#44 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Whether it's the "correct" color or not Terry, it's good looking! 

#45 mountaindewd

mountaindewd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Les

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Wish my days were as long as yours! :oP

Nice build!

#46 kenss

kenss

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:ken stanley

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

HEY TERRY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP NICE PAINT JOB BY THE WAY.

#47 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

THAT is a good looking chebby Terry! it has got the right look