Spent several hours last night taping and spraying the hood to a 71 mach l to resemble the box art. Enough run under to take a swim in the purple pond but not really that bad. Maybe could have been saved but it was just the outside pinstripe, and not the main field of color that covers the hoodbulges and scoops. I was using regular painter's tape cut into strips using the method I saw on this forum. I had to cut circles out of the tape and then straight angles out of the holes left in the tape to make the bends in the stripe at the front corners of the hood. Pretty clear, right? Well anyway, what tape works better for this than regular blue painter's tape? It will not bend or form a circle no matter how thin it is sliced. The second thing I did yesterday was take a 70 Monte that had been in the purple stuff for two weeks out to check it again. The red paint had quickly dissolved to the point that it could be scraped off with a fingernail, but that was as far as it ever got. Toothbrush or rag would not remove it no matter how hard it was used. Sprayed it with the yellowcap ovencleaner to maybe speed things up, and when I checked this morning it had re-solidified the remaing red paint. Right back to where I started. Learned a couple of things yesterday but not really a productive evening. Well, try try again, right? Thanks guys. Ray
pinstripping and paint cleaning
Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:59 AM
For masking off parts like this, I have found nothing better than Tamiya tape, sometime I get the 18mm tape and cut thin strips from it, the thin strips can be made to go around curved lines, and once burnished down, I don't have a problem with an paint creeping under the tape.
Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:03 AM
Tamiya tapes, or BMF. If you use BMF, the paint must be totally cured. I use the Tamiya tapes as they work well and I have all sizes at the bench
Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:31 AM
Tamiya tape is all I use.
You can remove it on wet paint or cured, it doesn't matter.
Using Painters Tape saved you a couple of pennies but look what happened.
Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:54 AM
Okay, easy. It was Saturday night and I was using what I had on hand. Highly unlikely my first taping effort would be a success anyway. But I will be picking up some of the Tamiya tape. Thanks for the advice. Actually worked out okay-changed the base color from a med metallic blue to a Rustoleum aged copper with black stripes, so we will see. Ray