28 replies to this topic

#21 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,850 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

I was talking with a fellow at last year's MAGS show in Tampa who said he was Richard Carroll.  Very interesting guy.

#22 Elliot949

Elliot949

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Johnston

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

It was the Fall of 1971 and instead of doing my homework in eight grade I was looking over some model car magazines that I obtained

for chores around the house. In the summer after my brother and I would do work around the house,  I would hit the basement---and my older brother, before he enlisted in the Marines, was working on his Chevy 2 , then  '63 Impala. It was in these magazines I met Richard Carroll. What

an amazing, wonderfully-l talented builder. I would watch Richard Carroll win trophy after trophy from coast-to-coast. The following year I tried my hand working on his rear suspension blue-print. Although not nearly as symmetrical, and maybe 1% of Richard Carrol's work, it was a wonderful time to watch this man produce, and share some of his work with fellow builders. I still have the suspension that I provided a pik.

Thanks.

2-3-13005_zps5811c617.jpg2-3-13006_zpsec167e0a.jpg

Nice... Glad to see some of this old build stuff trying to do his work...

#23 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Some of his builds.........cool stuff......

carolmodels-vi.jpg

#24 Elliot949

Elliot949

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Johnston

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

That Stuff is SOOOOO cool... If you will he did a "Deora" before the Deora was done and his is so much more interesting...

Edited by Elliot949, 19 February 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#25 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,235 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

That Stuff is SOOOOO cool... If you will he did a "Deora" before the Deora was done and his is so much more interesting...

I don't know which came first, but it bears quite a resemblance to Roth's Megacylcle from 1967:

mega+finished.jpg

#26 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

Someone repro'd the tires in resin....I got 3 sets of them....but yet to use them. I want to build a Carroll tribute model some day.

Allan Rabb @ Ma's Resin  http://public.fotki....esin-price-lis/ . I lent him a set of my originals.

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,235 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

None too shabby a builder, this Richard Carroll:

richardcarroll.jpg

#28 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

the Dodge Deora may have been built about a year before Richard Carroll's creations appeared and may have been the inspiration for some of them.

I too was one of the teens drooling over Richard's beautiful, well thought-out and functional creations, along with all the other great builders of that time (like Tim Boyd) they inspired me to build "out of the box".

Maybe Richard could be persuaded to donate his award winning models to the Model Car Museum in Utah where a few other modeling greats are currently exhibited.

#29 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

this site: http://www.modelencyclopedia.com/

is a treasure trove of information and old model magazines, you just might see a very young Tim Boyd in a few of them.