2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster Winner! Totally Traditional!

• You cannot reply to this topic
85 replies to this topic

#41 SoCalCarCulture

SoCalCarCulture

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Lindsay

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Interesting comments, some of us who saw it fell in love with it!   Kinmont Discs, V8-60 with extremely rare Ardun heads, just a beautiful car.

Here's a few of my pics...

8415427217_39a6000302_b.jpg

#42 Art Laski

Art Laski

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Full Name:Art Laski

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I think it's simply exquisite, unlocking the kind of beauty you'd never suspect of a Model T.  No Malmsteen-style wankery here; it's Cray or Clapton, not putting a single note wrong.

Love the color, love everything about it.

I agree with everything you said, Chuck. And the color reminds me of the Boyle Maserati- classic.

#43 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

If you really want to keep hyping those worn out shoes, stop pretending to be surprised that this hobby doesn't catch on with the youngsters.

That this backward thing got the trophy is a slap in the face for everyone who builds contemporary hot rods and proof that the award is now worth bugger all and nothing else.

How many AMBR awards do you have on your mantle??  I'm willing to bet it's the same number of factory V-8 Thunderbird Super Coupes that were made. We silly Americans keep forgetting that the roots of hot rods are planted deeply in England. :rolleyes:

#44 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Even though I'm getting a little tired of the whole retro fad, this thing is gorgeous. What I do find strange is that many who love the retro feel of this car don't care for the period correct color.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat with that statement, I do think there is room for modern and retro rods and enjoy a mix of the both. The problem now is, if you build a modern rod you get looked down on because your not part of the current trend. Lets face it a tasteful well built rod is cool no matter what trend you follow.

Edited by Psychographic, 30 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#45 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Just look at the hood latch linkage.  :wub:

#46 Sport Suburban

Sport Suburban

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Full Name:Raoul

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

It's not a car I would build and I don't really follow award winners. I do love that it is beautifly built and exicuted. I just don't see anything wrong with it. The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom. The paint color doesn't grab me but the shine and that color does not hide a thing.

#47 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

There isn't a bad line or hiccup on this car.

#48 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom. 

You got that right, Raoul!

That's excellent staging.  (Although the guy who mounted the left rear was slacking that day ... he got the "Firestone"-valve stem alignment ever-so-slightly out of kilter.) 

Exquisite engineering, exquisite build, exquisite staging.  No wonder it's the AMBR winner. 

• Love to see a kit version of this to follow up the Rat Roaster.   :)   Hey, maybe that could be a new kit series ~ "AMBR Winners."

PS:  Are there any of those Ardun heads for a V8-60 in any kit or available from aftermarket?  

#49 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Not really my genre, but I love the color and the interior color.  Tires are too narrow for 2013, though.    not sure about the 1:1 retro fad, though..shouldn't the hobby continue to evolve and move forward?  

Mater said something that would work well here, "I don't need to know where I'm going, just need to know where I've been."

Never hurts to remember how things were done, but improve upon what was to bring it up to today's standards either.  A few months back there was an article in HotRod about a vintage show rod called Sylvester, it had been lost for a while, but found in the last year and brought back to modern standards, but kept it's vintage feel and look, much like this AMBR winner was built!

Then

gary-kidwell2.jpg

and Now

sylvester%20III%20on%20display.jpg

And the HAMB thread looking for the history on the car;

http://www.jalopyjou...ad.php?t=658459

#50 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

the Judges obviouly know what to look for, but i don't understand the red engine. color is understandably subjective, but i think it detracts not only from itself, but from the body color. the interior color is borderline. it's competing with the body, rather than complimenting it.

i do think it's is a beautiful ride as far as design & construction.

#51 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Having met  a few of the people who build and compete at this level, I commend them .

And , I can assure you . There are probably subtle things on this car ( as in years past winners ) That 99% of the average people will never catch unless you sit and stare at it for hours . Even then I doubt any one person would catch it all.

The ONLY thing I don't care for is the screw clamps on the hoses. I just don't think the overall quality of the car goes hand in hand with cheap screw hose clamps .

If they were trying to re-create the flavor / style of something old, the rest of the car is WAY to good for that.

Overall I like it and would gladly park it in my garage , and I have zero interest in street rods .

#52 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

PS:  Are there any of those Ardun heads for a V8-60 in any kit or available from aftermarket?  

I don't think so. I have only seen the Ardun heads in the Revell 1/25 '50 Ford Custom pickup kit and in resin/metal in 1/8 scale Maybe R&MCoM offers them, though?

#53 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Good questions.  More I pore this over, more I gotta have it in plastic.

Halfway wondering about a mash-up of the Big Deuce and Big T for a similar-style eighth-scaler, too. Think one of the Lindberg Ts had about that style of nose...

#54 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I like traditional. You can only add so much bling. SO tired of billet and hide everything. This car is very finely detailed but looks functional. Seems like some folks are worried about moving on to to something new. To a younger generation this is something new for them. Not all of us were around for the birth of hot rodding. I guess in the end the style of the car or the color can be polarizing for some. In the end it it still grabbed one of the highest honors a hot rod fabricator and builder could have bestowed upon thier creation.

#55 CadillacPat

CadillacPat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Parker

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

A nice clean build.

Much better than the Boyd Smoothster.

But, please, put some fenders on it for a real finished look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

#56 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Fenders would RUIN thus car.

#57 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Fenders would RUIN thus car.

X2.

Another T treatment, maybe. Not this one.  The rear wheel is positioned perfectly to blend its line right into the deck at a dead-on side profile.  A fender would only destroy that effect.

#58 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

It's not a car I would build and I don't really follow award winners. I do love that it is beautifly built and exicuted. I just don't see anything wrong with it. The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom. The paint color doesn't grab me but the shine and that color does not hide a thing.

I was friends with a fellow that entered the GNRS in the 70's. Having the tire lettering and valvestems at the same place on all 4 wheels got points. He even turned down washers so that all, I mean all, of the bolt heads lined up. Thats how persnickety things get at this level. 

Its rare that I dont have a criticism, but all I have to say on this beautiful piece is that the rear wheels should be an inch or so wider, so that the sidewall profile matches that of the front. Color, sweet, looks a lot like Tamiya Maroon!

Edited by Draggon, 31 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#59 CadillacPat

CadillacPat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Full Name:Pat Parker

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

X2.

Another T treatment, maybe. Not this one.  The rear wheel is positioned perfectly to blend its line right into the deck at a dead-on side profile.  A fender would only destroy that effect.

Exactly, Fenders would ruin and destroy this naked effect giving the car body, form and appeal.

Otherwise it's just a shiny Ratrod.

It looks like it left the house without a shirt on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#60 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Absolutely beautiful!  If it were art work (which it is, as in sculpture) it would be in the minimalist style.  The return to the so called traditional style is in effect a statement against the "billet mania" which took over the Hot Rod hobby in the 80's and 90's.  This car blends the best of extremely rare old Hot Rod parts and blends todays best techniques and materials. Takes a really talented bodyman and painter to get a dark color like maroon that flawless. 

For those who have opined that this isn't bringing the hobby forward, how many new ways can you hack up an old car to make a statement Vs. how clean can a car be made and still include all the essentials?  Fenders would ruin the intent of this car all together.   It's a "what if statement".  What if todays building techniques and materials existed during the dry lakes period?

Not sure what the criticism over the colors are?  It looks like most are variations and or compliments of the deep maroon body color, i.e. red is a warmer variation of the cooler maroon says "Hot Engine".  The wheel color compliments the maroon.  The tobacco colored leather is a most likely a mixture of the natural leathers tan darkened with a touch of maroon and brown dyes, either way it is on the slightly warmer side of maroon's compliment.  Did I say I love the colors...