69 replies to this topic

#41 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I am not 100% certain, but I believe the Warlock was reissued in the mid 90's around when the LRE was reissued? I seem to recall a Blueprinter that touted the availability of both. Perhaps the Warlock was a Blueprinter special like the Fiat dragsters, BTTF trio, and Munsters dragsters. Maybe I'm nuts and it wasn't reissued too. Or maybe it was a 1:18 diecast?

Nope the Warlock kit was never reissued, it must have been a 1/18 diecast you remembered, cuz I seem to recall it, although vaguely too.

#42 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I believe I did mention in the original posts that the 2WD option was dropped in 76...

They do show the 4x2 with stock wheels on the box-art, yet when you open the box the parts are as you say committed and also no mention of them in the instruction sheet, except the choice of gear shift IIRC.

#43 JS23U

JS23U

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Full Name:Jens Kriete

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yes right, Luc. I wanted to hint on that but forgot ... ;)

Kataranga, you are probably right, didn't save that in my brain. I beg your pardon...

Overall I love those articles about old kit lines. Please keep them coming!

I looked through my LWB Dodge pickups several months ago. I have years 73 to 77. The side trim was the same for the kit years 72 to 76 (I think), the trim level is D100 Adventurer SE. The moldings are the ones that go over the wheel wells. This is only correct for 72 to 74 (or 75?). MPC corrected it to straight moldings for the 77 model. Additionally the "100"-script is on the cab from 72 to 76 on the kit, "Adventurer SE" on the bed. They again changed it in 77.

I might have mixed it up a bit, as I didn't compare every year to original truck pics and some time has gone by since I did this research. But my conclusion was that one has to change/kitbash quite a bit to build a really accurate 75/76 truck. I think they are quite accurate for 72 and 73 and then for 77 (and probably 78) again. 74 is ok as well, possibly.

Also I found they never changed much in the interior, just like the AMT Ford pickup 75-78. So here again is much work needed to get it really right.

Jens

Edited by JS23U, 19 February 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#44 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Both AMT & MPC were the same on their 67-72 Chevy/GMC pickups. They only modified the bodywork to 

match the full size products. Interior patterns are the same in all years. Though some of them have 

a center seat and back that is actually a fold down armrest.

#45 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Kurth

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Nope the Warlock kit was never reissued, it must have been a 1/18 diecast you remembered, cuz I seem to recall it, although vaguely too.

Yea it must be the diecast. They were announced about the same time.

#46 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Also in late 1976 a separate, non-annual version was released as an Off-Road Camper. This issue includes the dirt bike and an odd partial-length camper/sleeper arrangement.

Pic of the clear parts from this kit:

76dodge2.jpg

And a look at the box sides:

76dodge5.jpg

76dodge4.jpg

#47 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

That camper-thing is so weird. I can only imagine what it is like to paint being molded in clear.

#48 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Odd how the cap doesn't go the full length of the bed..don't think I've ever seen anything like that in 1:1.

#49 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

It kind of reminds me of the Jeepster's almost full length top, but it's definitely odd looking.

Any idea what the piece at the lower left is for? The other pieces seem to have homes, but the lower left piece look like a bunk, maybe to be laid across the bad rails, under the cap?:

76dodgecap.jpg

#50 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'd say you nailed it, Casey. My guess would be to fill in the gap either underneath the cap or behind it.

#51 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'd say you nailed it, Casey. My guess would be to fill in the gap either underneath the cap or behind it.

An inner tailgate of sorts. Makes sense. The DPMCC instruction sheet site doesn't have this one listed.

#52 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

It would be neat to see someone build this and detail the camper portion with a bed and other camping accessories.  B)

#53 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

So here are some examples of what happens with loose tires, mid-70s MPC plastic, and time:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec8113c9b

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ec8114a7c

:blink:

#54 maxwell48098

maxwell48098

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Full Name:A.J. Ramming

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

If you look at the picture on the side of the box, that lower left clear part is a bed cover that fits between the rear of the camper top and the tailgate.  There are two dimples in it where the hand rail fits in.

A.J.

#55 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Airfix Dodge "Thunderstruck" sweptline pickup

DSCN1815_zps5f3c7c07.jpg

#56 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,925 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Was at a friends, between the two of us we have all but the Above off-road Camper, the '77 Annual and the Monster trucks (I have parts of them)

I Couldn't resist asking to look at everyone of them, of which I did, for historical purposes.

GEDC1669_zpsda6dc388.jpg

#57 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Here's a pic of the Pumping Iron kit from the big auction site. Matches my recollection of the two I've owned in that only the '79 hood and grill were supplied, contrary to the box art. Tires supplied were the old MPC blue streak stock car items. It's basically a '79 LRE in everything but name. Wonder if perhaps not having a licence for another LRE led them to disguise it using the ugly '77/'78 grill...

79dgpia_zpsc20986f2.jpg

mike

#58 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Here's a pic of the Pumping Iron kit from the big auction site. Matches my recollection of the two I've owned in that only the '79 hood and grill were supplied, contrary to the box art. Tires supplied were the old MPC blue streak stock car items. It's basically a '79 LRE in everything but name. Wonder if perhaps not having a licence for another LRE led them to disguise it using the ugly '77/'78 grill...

79dgpia_zpsc20986f2.jpg

mike

That kit is still on my shopping list, it will complete my collection of mpc Dodge trucks, someday I will get one for the right price I'm sure...

#59 JS23U

JS23U

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Full Name:Jens Kriete

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

The Firefighter represents the 79 front end as well. Seems to be a 4x4 version of the LRT/Warlock/Pumping Iron but should be essentially the same.

#60 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Wait, what? The Pumpin Iron has the later style grille? This kit has now jumped up on my priority list... :D