I feel completely, hopelessley inadequate now.

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#21 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Scratchbuilt, yes... but he's not making that internal stuff up out of thin air. He must have an incredibly detailed set of plans from somewhere that he's working from.

Harry, virtually all American aircraft manufacturer's engineering drawings since the very early 1930's exist someplace.  For example,Boeing Aerospace (who also bought out North American [builder of the P-51 Mustang] and Vought-Sikorsky [Vought produced the F4U Corsair series]) maintains a very complete historical archive of their aircraft drawings, as well as drawings from the companies they absorbed, and they are available for a price.  The same is true of Lockheed and Northrop-Grumman.  Many of these drawings have been published in aircraft enthusiast magazines over the years as well.

Art

#22 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I regard builders like this, as just guys like us..........................with an obsessive compulsive disorder.

And you might think I'm being sarcastic, but I'm really not.

Edited by Jantrix, 04 February 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#23 jaydar

jaydar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Full Name:Joseph J. Taylor

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

As i recall he is a retired dentist. And the scale he is working in is about double what we do, having said that the man is an artist in at least 3 different arts.

joe.

#24 A.R.C.

A.R.C.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Adam Cordoza Cortez

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

He`s realllllly reallllly good!!!!

At Photoshop :P

#25 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,465 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I can see having that kind of talent, what floors me is the amount of time he obviously has to put into any one model. I would lose my patience and interest long before I ever came close to finishing one.

#26 The70judgeman

The70judgeman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Shoberg

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Check out this guy www.rojasbazan.com. He does much the same thing. He also has a youtube channel under the same name, rojasbazan. He's even built a very large scale B-17. So large it looks to be stored in his yard. Both of these guys are far more than builders...more like very fine scale creators.

#27 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Redefines "rivet counters" :lol: 

Phenomenal work right there...

#28 mysterj1

mysterj1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

This kind of dedication just goes to prove if you want to build it, it can be done.  We have some amazing builders of our own here!

#29 pharoah

pharoah

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Full Name:John Farrow

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Truly amazing work.  He can't have much of a social life. ^_^

Gerald Wingrove does some spectacular  car models. All hand built from brass,and he even casts the rubber tires. 

Even his are nothing like this.

#30 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,253 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Harry, virtually all American aircraft manufacturer's engineering drawings since the very early 1930's exist someplace.  For example,Boeing Aerospace (who also bought out North American [builder of the P-51 Mustang] and Vought-Sikorsky [Vought produced the F4U Corsair series]) maintains a very complete historical archive of their aircraft drawings, as well as drawings from the companies they absorbed, and they are available for a price.  The same is true of Lockheed and Northrop-Grumman.  Many of these drawings have been published in aircraft enthusiast magazines over the years as well.

Art

Absolutely correct, but factory data and drawings are not readily available to hobbiests or anyone outside the professional aviation repair industry. Even those of us withinn the industry sometimes have to walk over hot coals to get exactly what we need; that's why I mentioned other, open-market sources for historical aircraft data. You can even buy the stuff on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e71fcc842

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 04 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#31 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,465 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Absolutely correct, but factory data and drawings are not readily available to hobbiests or anyone outside the professional aviation repair industry. Even those of us withinn the industry sometimes have to walk over hot coals to get exactly what we need; that's why I mentioned other, open-market sources for historical aircraft data. You can even buy the stuff on ebay.

Whoah! That's pretty cool!

#32 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,521 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

He is awsume.....l can't build a models without my instructions....

#33 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,628 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

If I have the money, I know what Dad's getting for his birthday.

Sometimes, he finds stick-and-tissue not quite challenging enough.... :blink:

Charlie Larkin