Improved Lighting & Magnification Options?

• You cannot reply to this topic
133 replies to this topic

#21 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

I love my Optivisor. I have not had good luck with off brands. I had one and it fell apart after a couple of years. The plastic got brittle and just broke in two.

#22 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

OptiVisor 100%. Why? Well, the most important tool you work with is your eyes. If you buy cheap, you can cause strain and give yourself headaches. I have had my OptiVisor for 15 years and as my eyes get worse with age I can buy stronger lenses. There is a reason that if you watch watch repairman at work they always have a genuine Optivisor. They are a bit pricey but I guarantee you will only buy it one time. If you are short on money, save for it over time. These are less than a couple of kits but something you will use every day. Frankly, Micromark is not the least expensive place to buy. I got mine through a local hardware store.

Also check out this lighting system. http://www.micromark...VISOR,8608.html It was my Christmas present from my family. It is spectacular. Works very well and the batteries last a long time.

Being able to see well is a lot different that just being able to see. Treat your eyes well and you will be more inclined to build more often. My two cents!

#23 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:58 AM

Another good option, which I use, is a magnifying ring lamp with an adjustable arm. Like this one:

http://www.delphigla...&source=froogle

#24 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

If you must have a head mount buy an optivisor....it is worth every penny

I could not agree MORE!!!
I have tried others...and gave them away because they sucked.
One of the best investment I made!

David

#25 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

I do not use my optivisor any more as I found the more you use it the more you NEED it.....your eyes get spoiled by this...and do get weaker...

My optometrist says that is an old wives tale. Your eyes will not grow weaker by using the visor. However, your eyes will grow weaker with age. So the time you start needing and using one will be as you get older. He said that if I put it on, and my eyes take a real loud "sigh", then I needed to put the visor on. He claims it will not weaken my current eyesight.

Just my 2 cents. Not worth it, I might add.

David

#26 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

My hobby table is in the dimmest part of my apartment and the overhead lighting fixture seems to be more for decoration than illumination. I've been trying to augment this light with a regular 60 watt desk lamp, but I'm not happy with the results. The research I've done so far suggests that these LED lamps can produce brighter light than halogen lamps without the excessive heat, which sounds ideal.

If you have an LED lamp that you use for modeling and you're very happy with it, I'd appreciate it if you'd reply with a mfr part number or some other way to identify it.

#27 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

This is the one I bought recently and am very happy with:

http://www.officedep...fier-Task-Lamp/

#28 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,432 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

That's a good one, Harry. I also recommend the OTT lights.

http://www.amazon.co...29650271&sr=8-3

#29 espo

espo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Full Name:david espenshade

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

"A mere layman" found a real good price. You might keep an eye open whene Office Depot has a sale or close out.

#30 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

That's a good one, Harry. I also recommend the OTT lights.

http://www.amazon.co...29650271&sr=8-3

Virgil, what does yours use for a light source? After buying a lamp that promised the brightness of natural sunlight without the heat and having it put out the equivalent of moonlight on a foggy night, I can't afford to buy anything that doesn't measure up, hence the request for LED lighting.

#31 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Monty... you can't go wrong with the one I posted. Nice "daylight" color to the light it puts out, zero heat output, and supposedly will last for many years. At the price it's selling for right now (through the 25th), you just can't beat it.

#32 Burnout

Burnout

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Smith

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I recently bought the lamp Harry recommended and have been very pleased. I often have to move it close to my work but that is more of a comment on my eyesight than the lamp's efficiency. I also like the magnifying glass - something I didn't have before.

#33 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Monty... you can't go wrong with the one I posted. Nice "daylight" color to the light it puts out, zero heat output, and supposedly will last for many years. At the price it's selling for right now (through the 25th), you just can't beat it.

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

#34 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

I wish I could see one of these in use. If you read what I said to Virgil, I'm already leery of things that promise a certain type of light but come up short. As I mentioned, this will be my primary light source back there.

You heard it from Harry - a testimonial from a professional graphic artist who uses it regularly. If you want a demonstration, why not go to the store, such as OfficeMax, and take a look? Same goes for Virgil's recommendation of OttLite. As for the perfection of light, I have a magnifying light that looks like Harry's LED, but mine has a fluorescent ring light that works just fine for me.

Edited by sjordan2, 20 February 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#35 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,605 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

I've had a number of these lights ... articulating arm with magnifier .. and mine just broke apart the desk clamp, so this is just in time,

Harry ,,, how does the arm move on your recommended light? The one I had always resisted movement and was difficult to get it right. Not smooth at all. I'm balking at another one with all the trouble I've had. Ones I've had probably were cheapos.

#36 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,322 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

I've had a number of these lights ... articulating arm with magnifier .. and mine just broke apart the desk clamp, so this is just in time,

Harry ,,, how does the arm move on your recommended light? The one I had always resisted movement and was difficult to get it right. Not smooth at all. I'm balking at another one with all the trouble I've had. Ones I've had probably were cheapos.

Harry will tell you about his, but mine has good-sized metal arms, with springs and adjustable tensioning knobs for every moving part. Never a problem with articulated movement.

Edited by sjordan2, 20 February 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#37 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

You heard it from Harry - a testimonial from a professional graphic artist who uses it regularly. If you want a demonstration, why not go to the store, such as OfficeMax, and take a look? Same goes for Virgil's recommendation of OttLite. As for the perfection of light, I have a magnifying light that looks like Harry's LED, but mine has a fluorescent ring light that works just fine for me.

Good points - I had forgotten that Harry was a professional graphic artist. My local OfficeMax shows they have these in stock, so maybe they'll let me see if it makes the kind of brightness I need.

#38 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm guessing by now half the forum is perched on the edge of their chairs, tingling with excitement to find out what I bought, so here's the story:

Although my initial request was just for a better lighting source, both Harry and Cranky recommended magnifying lamps, for which I am now grateful. If you've seen the kind of work Cranky can do, it's obvious that his OTT magnifying light works well for him, but after comparing that unit against the one Harry recommended, I felt the Realspace unit was sturdier and better suited to my purposes. The lighting is just about perfect and there's no ambient heat, so it's very nice to work with.

I'm also glad I followed Harry's advice to buy this before the sale ended. My Office Depot had already marked the price back up to $62.00 when I went in, but after telling them the online price still showed to be in effect, they let me have it for the sale price, which saved me about $16.00.

#39 Miatatom

Miatatom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Shirley

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need a lot of light. My workbench area is OK in the lighting department but sometimes I just need more to be able to see small stuff better. I've got a Harbor Freight visor with 2 small lights on it but it's not enough. I've also got a lighted magnifying glass but it's an el cheapo and I'm not crazy about using it. I'd thought about a small spot light or maybe a visor light like this one:

http://www.hobbylinc...on/donlt-06.htm

What's everyone else using?

#40 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,979 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

I think running through the desk lamp section in your closest office supply store would be your best bet. Or look into some track lighting for the room you build in.