#41 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Does not matter if i had a football feild. I would end up with about a 1x1 square to work on

I need to clean up

#42 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I like to build at my kitchen counter.  Even though I have a full basement and plenty of space for a workshop, I like to build upstairs where everyone is.  Someday when the kids are gone I'll make a workshop where I can disappear :)

The only bummer is that I have to put everything away when I am done.  One day when the kids aren't using the basement I'll make a nice modle workshop down there.

DSCF1110.jpg

and this is where I store the stuff.  This holds the current kit I am working on and some of my building supplies,

DSCF1107.jpg

DSCF1108.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston, 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#43 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I like to build at my kitshen counter.  Even though I have a full basement and plenty of space for a workshop, I like to build upstairs where everyone is. 

Jeff, I have always built in an upstairs spare bedroom that becomes 'the model room'.  Back when I was in NJ, I didn't have a basement so it basically was the only space available.  Here in PA, my house has a full finished basement but I still took over a bedroom upstairs. My wife figured she could too, so she has the room next to me as her photo and craft room. My daughters are grown and live back in NJ so we have the space here.

Even though the basement is finished, I feel disconnected when I'm down there by myself.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 12 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#44 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Even though the basement is finished, I feel disconnected when I'm down there by myself.

Tom that's exactly how I feel too.  

#45 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Jeff, Tom, I thought I was the only builder who didn't want to sequester himself, I know many  guys who have a room away from everyone. My armoire is in the living room, right in the middle of the kids and my wife, I want to be around them when I'm building. When I'm alone, it just feels wrong!

#46 jerseyjunker1

jerseyjunker1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Full Name:Manny Solano

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

basically my work table is 3' wide by 2' deep its an old computer table that has a slide out underneath so i get an extra foot of work space. sometimes i to have a companion helper.lol :)

Captured2009-12-1400001.jpg

Captured2009-11-1500001.jpg

Captured2007-7-800001.jpg

Captured2008-10-1500012.jpg

Captured2008-2-900003.jpg

#47 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Manny, How do you keep your paints from freezing and more important how do you stay warm in the winter months in an outdoor shed?  I like the set up, just wondering if this is just a seasonable work area or do you try to keep climate control some how?

#48 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Jeff, I have always built in an upstairs spare bedroom that becomes 'the model room'.  Back when I was in NJ, I didn't have a basement so it basically was the only space available.  Here in PA, my house has a full finished basement but I still took over a bedroom upstairs. My wife figured she could too, so she has the room next to me as her photo and craft room. My daughters are grown and live back in NJ so we have the space here.

I used to build at my dining room table, being upstairs with the family, but it was a real hassle having to put everything away for meals or when we were having company over.  Last year I decided to bite the bullet and reclaim my third of the unfinished basement from my younger daughter who lives with us and has all her furniture and stuff down there.  It is on the chilly side during the winter,but I have a dedicated work space.  It is GREAT not having to pack everything away all the time.  A small heater warms the area and I don't actually mind being alone while i'm building.  I find that I'm more productive without the interruptions and distractions of the TV and conversations, etc. 

#49 jerseyjunker1

jerseyjunker1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Full Name:Manny Solano

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Manny, How do you keep your paints from freezing and more important how do you stay warm in the winter months in an outdoor shed?  I like the set up, just wondering if this is just a seasonable work area or do you try to keep climate control some how?

you got it right. it is darn cold in the winter. i have a propane heater that i use to get the shed warm fast then i turn that off and use a small space heater by my feet. i have a blanket covering the door and i always wear a scarf around my neck when real cold and i always wear a jewelers catch apron so i won't lose any small parts and that apron also holds the heat and keeps me nice and toasty. :)

#50 rmvw guy

rmvw guy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Martz

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Manny you are a dedicated man.  I get cold in my heated garage and move into the kitchen sometimes when the Wife is at work, where it is also too cold. She keeps it at 63 degrees, burr!!!

#51 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,042 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

DSC00238-vi.jpg

Responding to Rich's post about working in the dining room... this is a photo of my old model room in NJ, but focus on the yellow and pink board in the center of the bench.  This is my lucky modeling board.  Back when I didn't have a space I actually built the Pyrite's Paddler '53 Ford on my avatar on this board on my kitchen table.  This was back when my kids were small so I had to be careful and keep everything out of their reach.  Each evening after dinner, I would clamp my light to the edge of the kitchen table, set my board in place and start working.  At the end of each session, I'd tidy up and put the board, with the project still on it, on top of the refrigerator.  I learned to work it out. As a positive, it taught me to work a bit more tidy and plan out my work better.

So those of you who don't have a dedicated space, it's no excuse not to build.  I built my favorite model on the kitchen table!

#52 Skip

Skip

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Ragsdale

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Attached File  IMG_0393-vi1.jpg   128.24KB   16 downloads

Posted the size only a while ago it is 48" X 30", finally got things together the countertop is now mounted on the wall, shelving is hung, best of all I can build again!!!  Still have to get my paint booth moved and set up, still operationa where it is at so it's a matter of getting in mounted to a a benchtop and temp ducting set up.  I use formica sheet with dryer vent to exhaust the fumes which has worked out great in the past, just open the window put the formica in the window then shut it and shoot.

My wife and I traded our rooms, she needed a little more space for crafting and I got a perfect sized closet to hang my countertop in with two other 5 ft tables, one that I water color paint and another that I do smallish sign work and small pinstriping jobs on. 

The next step is removing the carpeting and placing some decent engineered hardwood floors.  I'e always wanted to do a room in hardwood that looked like it was a part of a basketball/sports court with the striping for the top of the key randomly placed in it.  I've done full sized sport courts in the past and it's not hard, stripe, seal and finish.

#53 slownlow

slownlow

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Full Name:bob maloy

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Here's where my madness transpires. It's an old drafting table my dad rescued and has been with me since high school. I also find the machinist chest invaluable for storing everything from paint brushes to bare metal foil to French curves. I can keep tools separated in different draws according to their uses, cutting and drilling in one drawer, shaping and filing in one, tweezers and clamping in one, etc.

P1020020-vi.jpg

#54 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

i see empty shelf space - let's step it up!

#55 fishdatty

fishdatty

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:Surman W.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hey SLONLOW   :( MY BUTT WOULD HURRRRT SEVERELYON THAT BAR STOOL!!!!!!!!!!

#56 Metalmad

Metalmad

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Full Name:Seth Gee

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Here is one of my work benches.

#57 Green Duster

Green Duster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Kaplan

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Here's mine. One of those put together desks. No pic of it yet. I just got a computer desk for free

for the other side of the model room. got a office chair on wheels to go between them.

Attached Files

#58 pa3de8

pa3de8

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Banzaca

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

I started out working on a small TV tray table. Sometimes I still do that if I am watching a race, game or movie. I even sometimes sit on the floor and do it on the coffee table in the living room. I usually use the desk in our office/library area. Someday when the kids are gone, one of their rooms will be my work room. Until then, it'll have to be where ever I plop down and do it...lol.

#59 Von Don Koolkat

Von Don Koolkat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Don 'Koolkat' Graham

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Sixteen feet worth by two feet deep, made from a 4'X8' sheet of plywood ripped lengthwise on 4X4 legs. Yet by the time I have everything on it, I'm left with about one square foot of actual work area, which fills up fast. :wacko: You can never have enough work space... or storage space.

#60 raildogg

raildogg

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Full Name:Richard A Rozzi

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

To echo many, not enough. I have one table 3' x 5', two others 2' x 4'. The big one has three tier shelving atatched with space for, "not even enough stuff". I have future plans for a 30" wide wrap around the room bench with tiered shelving and many pigeon holes for more stuff. In a year long effort to down size my main abode. Two empty nesters don't need 3500 sq. ft. anymore.