#21 Custom Hearse

Custom Hearse

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Full Name:Marshall Glasgow

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm definitely gonna have to order a couple of those Daytona conversion kits! Nice work on this one so far!

#22 VERNON

VERNON

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:vernon philip hayden

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Just found 1/16th scale steel wheels (ideal for this kit) on e-bay @ $11.00 a set plus shipping.  I ordered a couple sets yesterday and will let everyone know how they look as soon as they arrive.  If you go to ebay, type NASCAR resin in the brouse box and to toys & hobbies then to model kits.  From the picture posted on ebay the look pretty darn good!

Happy modeling, Vernon

#23 jjsipes

jjsipes

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Sipes

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Got my decals from Patto and they look great. I will have to look into the numbers on the doors though, the pics of the car show them being gold foil but the decals are not.

#24 Wheels

Wheels

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Wheeler

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Looking good Jason!!

#25 VERNON

VERNON

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:vernon philip hayden

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Just got my steel Hollman-Moody style NASCAR wheels last night and they look excellent.  I don't have a picture to post but if you go ebay type in NASCAR resin or Petty Charger, go to toys & hobbies and then to models, that will take you right to them.

They are a very clean casting and nicely detailed.  At $11.00 plus S&H, they are well worth the money.

These will be perfect for the 1969 Charger or Daytona and will work for many of the early 1970's NASCAR teams.

Happy modeling, Vernon

#26 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just ordered the parts from Ron and the decals from Dave Van for this conversion. Looking at the kit parts, it  looks like the roll cage will have to be scratch built as the kit one looks to be wrong for the body style. Also, the DOH kit is missing some of the shared parts from the Petty Charger such as the racing seat, the two small rads as well as a few other parts that I'm going to cast. I also ordered a set of H-M wheels to replace the kit ones. When everything shows up, I'll post pictures before I start the build.

Edited by kitbash1, 10 April 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#27 Drag Monster

Drag Monster

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Duval

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

I started my own conversion of the DOH kit this is where I am so far. As kitbash 1 said the DOH kit does not have all the nascar parts also the floor pan of the chassis has rug detail molded into it. I will be using most of the petty kits chassis parts or scratch building.

IMG_0134_zps869e5448.jpg?t=1365674469

IMG_0152_zps3d8eba27.jpg?t=1365674391

IMG_0150_zpsb81ea702.jpg?t=1365674482

#28 DR JAY

DR JAY

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Van Nostrand

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

I just ordered the parts from Ron and the decals from Dave Van for this conversion. Looking at the kit parts, it  looks like the roll cage will have to be scratch built as the kit one looks to be wrong for the body style. Also, the DOH kit is missing some of the shared parts from the Petty Charger such as the racing seat, the two small rads as well as a few other parts that I'm going to cast. I also ordered a set of H-M wheels to replace the kit ones. When everything shows up, I'll post pictures before I start the build.

If you're patient, the DOH seat can be converted to an A100/Cotton Owens seat with some modification...I did this one for my Stock Car conversion of the DOH kit. Now to find 1/16 Belts. The link is to a picture...

http://s1177.photobu...tml?sort=3&o=12

#29 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

If you're patient, the DOH seat can be converted to an A100/Cotton Owens seat with some modification...I did this one for my Stock Car conversion of the DOH kit. Now to find 1/16 Belts. The link is to a picture...

http://s1177.photobu...tml?sort=3&o=12

Thanks for the link Jason. I can use your idea for the seat conversion as well as a few others from your build. I also like the way you smoothed out the moulded in carpeting. I'll be building mine as the #71 K&K Insurance Charger Daytona.

#30 DR JAY

DR JAY

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Van Nostrand

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Glad I could help. This was just a trial run of the DOH kit to see how well it could be converted to a proper GN car. It is a "What If" project with my name on the door! If I do another, I'l completely scratchbuild the floor/chassis....the kit parts are just too far off in their dimensions.

#31 DaytonaLover

DaytonaLover

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:Parker

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I realize this is probably a replica, but the nose sure looks like it's bolted on to me?

5_zpsf70ab90d.jpg

That's just how they are B)

#32 shafer

shafer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Full Name:clyde w shafer,II

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

The blue #40 is Pete Hamilton's PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD, not a Daytona. The Petty teams didn't start using Chargers until after the Daytonas and Superbirds were outlawed.

true, but there was a 43 winged dodge, as a child i went to all of the cup races in martinsville, each goodys 500 had a goodys daytona with 43 on the door. i remember dad saying petty did not race a winged dodge but one was created for publicity. below is the bumper sticker goodys put out which is clearly a dodge

images_zpsc373b974.jpg

images_zps675be8b5.jpg

#33 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Seeing these builds gave me the itch again so I ordered a couple of the conversion kits from RMR on Friday . I've got two DOH kits and two Petty kits to work with .

Here's the one I built back in the 80's from a DOH kit with a scratchbuilt nose and wing .

1.jpg

c5e26958.jpg

Edited by TooOld, 21 July 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#34 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

true, but there was a 43 winged dodge, as a child i went to all of the cup races in martinsville, each goodys 500 had a goodys daytona with 43 on the door. i remember dad saying petty did not race a winged dodge but one was created for publicity. below is the bumper sticker goodys put out which is clearly a dodge

images_zpsc373b974.jpg

images_zps675be8b5.jpg

Yes, and it was for promotionals only because Petty was endorsing Goody's headache powders. The car was owned by Goody's, NOT Petty. So I stand on my statement.