113 replies to this topic

#41 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

The red lenses You see are for the custom bezels, not stock. Also this kit has no NASCAR type tires.

Just confirming that Joe is correct in both these statements (as referenced in my accompanying photo captions/text for photos #10 and #15 at the link above ). 

My '65 annual kit original is missing the instructions, but the only tires in the kit are the stock narrow whitewalls and drag slicks...the new reissue has the same except that the drag slicks are Tampo Printed pie-crusts....I don't recall that AMT had any kits using NASCAR type tires until the wide ovals that came along in '68 or '69...kitbashers back in the day used the "Darlington" tires (IIRC) from the AMT Tires Parts Pack for slot car racers...TIM

#42 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

Mine is the same way..the instructions show the steel wheels for the racing version going on the whitewalls.  I guess Round 2 couldn't put the effort in to include a set of racing tires.     I don't recall if the annual included racing tires or not, mine is in storage. 

Deciding what to include (and exclude) in a product is one of the most difficult issues a kitmaker faces....it's essentially a series of tradeoffs. 

Do you add the extra tires and offset the extra cost by not updating/restoring the tool....or do you add the extra tires and raise the price....or do you do what Round 2 did...and restore the kit to its original status and rely on kitbashers to do the tire upgrade for the NASCAR version?  

Tough calls, all.   TB  

#43 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

Agreed, but when it's a kit with an illustration of a legendary NASCAR race car on tne box top, one would think tbe inclusion of a set of NASCAR-correct tires would be a no-brainer. I also think moat modelers would've gladly sacrificed the miniature fold-up box to get them.

Carl...given the choice between those two options, I expect that nearly 100% of modelers would agree with you. 

Unfortunately, an additional set of four ires (and the further adaptation of the wheels to adapt to the wider tires) would, I expect, be a much more expensive proposition than dropping the fold-up miniature boxes.  

Plus I just checked my kit...and there is no miniature fold-up this time.  Oh well....

TB

Edited by tim boyd, 28 December 2013 - 06:24 AM.

#44 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

Carl...given the choice between those two options, I expect that nearly 100% of modelers would agree with you. 

Unfortunately, an additional set of four ires (and the further adaptation of the wheels to adapt to the wider tires) would, I expect, be a much more expensive proposition than dropping the fold-up miniature boxes.  

Plus I just checked my kit...and there is no miniature fold-up this time.  Oh well....

TB

This kit has had wide tires in the past, the '80 version for example, but those weren't NASCAR tires.   I am happy to see the whitewalls for the stock version, since the last few releases had poor tires.  I am disappointed they didn't retool the taillights to their original form, though.

#45 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Agreed, but when it's a kit with an illustration of a legendary NASCAR race car on tne box top, one would think tbe inclusion of a set of NASCAR-correct tires would be a no-brainer. I also think moat modelers would've gladly sacrificed the miniature fold-up box to get them.

Look closely at the illustration of the stock car...it has the Cragar wheels on it.  When built according to the original annual kit's instructions, that's how it came out.  The only choices were the stock wheel covers or the mags.  The inner wheels had some "open wheel" detail (no lug detail as in more recent issues), but no outer halves were ever included to take advantage of that.  IMO, Round 2 made the best compromise here.  Another set of tires would have added to the price, and those building an all-out NASCAR version would probably not have been happy with whatever tires would have been included.  The stock version is here, the original custom parts are back, and the NASCAR version is closer to being accurate than ever, certainly more so than in many annual kits.    

#46 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Maybe they could do a parts pack for the stock cars like they have for the drag cars.I do understand the cost of more tires and wheels is to great for them to include.  

#47 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Ellis

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

What happened to the tire jack that was in the original '65 Galaxie kit

#48 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

What happened to the tire jack that was in the original '65 Galaxie kit

According to the instructions, it's still in there....and (update 22 Feb) I just checked the kit to confirm that these parts are indeed part of the updated release. 

DSC_1019-vi.jpg

TB

Edited by tim boyd, 21 February 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#49 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Tim, Thanks for the photo. I have a 1990s ERTL issue and it seemed to be omitted on the instructions. I have a feeling that it was always there.

Another question; I have a Street Rods version of this kit and the mag wheels clearly have CRAGAR on the centers. Did AMT have to remove the logo from the kit?

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,322 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the pics, Tim. Looks like they tooled up all-new steel wheels, too. I bet these'll appear in the forthcoming Mercury Cyclone stocker, too:

DSC_1007-vi.jpg

#51 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Tim, Thanks for the photo. I have a 1990s ERTL issue and it seemed to be omitted on the instructions. I have a feeling that it was always there.

Another question; I have a Street Rods version of this kit and the mag wheels clearly have CRAGAR on the centers. Did AMT have to remove the logo from the kit?

Bob, here's a shot of the Cragars: DSC_0992-vi.jpg

They still have the "Cragar" lettering with the surrounding border, although it is a little faint.  

And I just checked, the tire jack parts are definitely in the new release.  

For those that haven't seen it, here's my OnLine Review of this new reissue, with 34 pictures and text:  http://public.fotki....ound-2-amt-65-/

Be sure to click on each picture, or use the slide show feature, so you can see my commentary on each picture.....  Hope this helps....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd, 21 February 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#52 Bob Ellis

Bob Ellis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

Tim,

Thanks for all the great photos. I bought the kit.

I looked at the mags a little closer, the Cragar logo is there, but it is faint

I think Round2 did a great job restoring this kit.

#53 cooltoys1

cooltoys1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Ignatjew

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

This thing is a mess.  The glass doesnt fit at all, there is sometthing wrong with the way the interior tub fits over the back glass, so you thave to cut the tops of the rear wheel tubs off to get the chassis to fit.  I remember this kit from back in the day not being so difficult, hmmm... any thoughts?

#54 towtruck

towtruck

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:John Goewert.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:33 AM

can't comment on this particular kit. BUT I've noticed a lot of Round 2 reissue's aren't exactly like I remember them. don't get me wrong I'm glad there reissueing some older kits.but there are problems with some of them..mabe it has to do with the age of some of the dies..

#55 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

Just to save time, I'll post the "standard replies."

1. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

2. We're modelers, we can fix it.

3. There is no such thing as a perfect model.

4. The kit may be junk, but I'm just glad we have a kit of (fill in the blank) at all!

5. If we complain about the kit, the manufacturer will go out of business.

There, I saved you all a bunch of time!   ;)

Oops, almost forgot to mention the beatings and the dead horses...

Can this thread puh-leeeeze be locked now?  :lol:

#56 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:03 AM

8.  It'll look better in orange.

#57 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,801 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

8.  It'll look better in orange.

What happened to 6 and 7? 

#58 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

What happened to 6 and 7? 

They were omitted from the instructions.

#59 chadrob30

chadrob30

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Full Name:Chad Robinson

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Bahahahaha!

#60 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:23 AM

Just to save time, I'll post the "standard replies."

1. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

2. We're modelers, we can fix it.

3. There is no such thing as a perfect model.

4. The kit may be junk, but I'm just glad we have a kit of (fill in the blank) at all!

5. If we complain about the kit, the manufacturer will go out of business.

There, I saved you all a bunch of time!   ;)

Oops, almost forgot to mention the beatings and the dead horses...

Can this thread puh-leeeeze be locked now?  :lol:

See, Harry, that's why this forum needs "LIKE" buttons.  :)