Off Topic...my weight loss....PHOTOS 3/17/2013....

Done losing!!!

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Feeling so good right now I just had to post this...  Ever since I retired from the State Police in 1996, my weight has steadily gone up every year.   Heck, when I entered the Academy in 1974, I was155!  Came out 6 months later at 170 and finally retired in 1996 at 210 pounds. But I felt pretty good at that weight. Well this past summer I got up to 262, which for me...is a LOT!  Saw a photo of myself on my Harley in a side view and I thought my belly was gonna devour my gas tank! So I decided right then and there I was gonna do something about it. Cholesterol was up also above 260.  So I joined Weight Watchers on September 10th at the aforementioned weight of 262.  Today I weighed 220.4!  I have now lost 41.6 pounds in these past 5 months. No fad diets, no buying premade meals... just eating the right way and exercising. Not extreme exercise...just walking. About 4 miles a day 3 to 5 days a week.

My Doctor has set my weight goal at 199 pounds...  a few more than what Weight Watchers says I should be. WW says 185 - 195 but my Doctor says I'm not in high school any more!  :lol:  Once I get down to 199 and stay within 2 pounds of that for 6 weeks I will earn Lifetime status and won't have to pay the $40 a month anymore!

I was never a believer in any Nationally known weight loss programs...thought they were all nothing but gimmicks and advertising. But I gotta tell you...these people who run Weight Watchers have got this stuff figured out! At least it's working for me! I actually go to the meetings once a week. I'm the only guy there but I don't care...I have fun with that.  And another big plus from doing this...my cholesterol dropped 51 points in the first 6 weeks. Going to have it tested again next month and I'm confident it will be even lower!

Onward and downward as they say!

Edited by Terry Sumner, 19 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#2 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,862 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Congratulations on becoming less of a man!   :lol:  ;)

#3 Paul Bunyan

Paul Bunyan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Rich Reo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

congratulations on your weight loss and life change!  It really helps the self esteem also...Makes  you want to do things you normally would have never done  (legally)...Great Job!

#4 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Less mass is better. Great job and congrats for sticking with it.

#5 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Congrats, I have been going to a gym and riding a bicycle fairly often in the last few months and have dropped a few sizes. Hopefully  I can continue this till I get into the 140's, that's my goal.

#6 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Good to hear that you're laying off the donuts.

#7 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Good to hear that you're laying off the donuts.

Har har..... :lol:    Actually...never been a fan of doughnuts.  Now Chocolate ice cream or a chocolate shake? That's a different story....

#8 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Congrats Terry, losing weight, at any age, is not easy but it sounds like you have it figured out. I am in the same boat, need to lose weight cuz I sure ain't gonna grow any taller! :D

#9 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,295 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Congrats ! I am also trying to drop a few pounds and getting more healthy. Stopped with the salt, switched to diet sodas ( Which all suck ) and no more chips and cut way back on the fast food and eating more fruit. So far it seems to be working. Have to find something to do after I retire at the end of June or I know will just gain back anything I may loose leading up to then.

#10 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,862 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Har har..... :lol:    Actually...never been a fan of doughnuts. 

What kind of a cop are you???  :lol:

#11 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

You lost it. I found it

#12 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! I recently lost some weight too............Oh wait, there it is, nevermind! :P

#13 Rob McKee

Rob McKee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Full Name:Rob McKee

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

That's great Terry!

I need to do the same. I am up to about 260 myself and I know my ideal wieght should be around 190.

#14 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Way to go Terry! B) Keep up the good work!

Two months ago the Dr said If I want to avoid more back surgery (and a heart attack) it was time to shed some pounds.

Before I fell and messed up my back I stayed right at 195 pounds, ran a mile (in under 8 minutes) every morning before climbing into the truck and heading out on deliveries.

After I climbed in weight all the way to 281 at it's highest.

After the doc said what he did I talked to his wife who is a nutritionist and she gave me some simple guidelines to follow. Even with my limitations on exercise she said it would help.

I stopped with all junk food and fast food and soda.

What I have been doing is a strict calorie count of 1800 or less (mostly less) per day. Eating a good breakfast, light lunch and Healthy Choice dinners for supper. Drinking a lot of water all day too especially just before eating. Juice and three cups of coffee in the morning, a glass of koolaid (have to keep my sugar up, hypoglycemic) with lunch and water with dinner.

Today I was at 258.4. :)

#15 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Congratulations, a healthy person is a happy person, plus there is another benifit, starting in 2014 this new health care will penalize those that are over weight, so it's a two for one.

#16 vintagercr

vintagercr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Martin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

Way to go! I have an exercise bike in my bedroom. Man it is a great thing to hang close on :)

Clothes

#17 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

Congratulations!  :)  I'm back on Atkins and hopefully I'll be back down soon. 

#18 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

Thanks guys....the supportive messages actually do mean a lot. They are part of the inspiration to stay at it and not fall off the wagon. I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for Weight Watchers, but they really do have the science behind weight loss all figured out. There's no calorie counting...all foods have a certain point value and according to your age, height and starting weight you are given a certain number of points per day to consume. I started at 49 points per day and I gotta tell ya...there were many days I couldn't get to eat all those points. Right now I'm at 41 points. I eat VERY well on WW and never feel like I'm depriving myself. I eat pizza, chocolate cake, apple pie and other things like that. But what I don't do anymore is eat an entire double chocolate cake in 2 or 3 days! Or eat an entire pizza all by myself. I eat sensibly by the WW guidelines and it works!

I wholeheartedly recommend Weight Watchers. God I never thought I would hear myself saying something like that!

#19 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,862 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

I wholeheartedly recommend Weight Watchers. God I never thought I would hear myself saying something like that!

Will we see you appearing in an ad with Marie Osmond soon?  :lol:

#20 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Will we see you appearing in an ad with Marie Osmond soon?  :lol:

Hey...she looks darn good for being 53 years old! Heck she looks good no matter what age! Except of course she is not a Weight Watchers spokesmodel...she's with Nutrisystem.

Hmmm...let's see now...me sandwiched between Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Simpson.... 

Edited by Terry Sumner, 12 February 2013 - 07:06 AM.