#22 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, I also thought Canada was in North America.  To me, they're American made regardless of where the dadburn river is.  Or the lake.  Or the dotted line on the map.

American made is good enough.  Or, American assembled.

{PS:  My Malibu is a Californian.  My S10 is a Canadian.  My Volkswagen Passat is a Tennesseean.  My Model AA is from Dearborn.  The Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B is Scottish and Irish.  I'm English and Swedish.  Our dog is Dutch.  We all get along just fine.  B) }  

imagesqtbnANd9GcS5ZiBuqmArbPHKxoPiN_zps0

#23 SuperStockAndy

SuperStockAndy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Full Name:Andy "Android" Conn

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

It would be great if GM would put the light dimming switch back on the floorboard.  My all time favorite joke but is outdated.

General Motors announced today that it would be putting the light dimmer switch back on the floorboard of it's vehicles as there are too many(place favorite school name here, Purdue University for example) engineering graduates getting their feet tangled up in the steering wheel.

:lol: I actually prefer the floor-dimming switch!

I'm glad production is coming back to the US...I hope EVERY company does this gradually...

#24 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

So, GM can't say it's  'from the country that invented rock and roll' in Camaro ads anymore?

(Note, that was a little sarcasm based on old ads from the fourth-gen car's advertising tag line.) :P

#25 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,370 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

BTW,, Did you really have that big a problem with the F-cars being made in Canada Harry?

Huh???  :blink:

I don't have a "problem" with any car being made anywhere. I just posted something that I read and thought it might be of interest to the members here.

#26 mini trucker

mini trucker

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan Ess

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm wondering why you felt this change in the 1:1 car world warranted a post on here? This is a forum for scale models of cars, not real ones. If there was a change in the country that any of the model manufacturers molded their scale Camaro kits in I could see perhaps making mention of it but the reason you felt the need to post this is a mystery to me. 

#27 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

hey mini trucker you obviously have not figured out how this place works yet!   logical statements are not necessarily welcome!  :lol:

its good americans have jobs but really the writing has been on the wall for 30 or so years now so perhaps a better point would be that maybe amerikans should figure out there aint gonna be many manufacturing jobs here that one can make a decent living from so maybe they ought to get an edumacation so they can be useful in whats up for the future instead of grousing in the rust belt unemployment lines because "its what their daddys did".

it cracks me up that the wood pellets i use in my pellet stove say "Proudly Made In the USA". Really? "making" wood pellets is something to be proud of? oh for the old days of innovation and invention.

just a thought and sure to be controversial. but thats what makes a for a good discussion.

#28 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I didn't read anything about the Canada plant shutting down. Gm has a truck plant in Canada also. I think it's the same plant but not sure. I know all Crew cabs were made in Canada only at one time recently.

GM moved truck production to the U.S. also..

The camaro is a "world" car.It's basicly a Holden.Most manufactures are doing this global thing now.Unfortutly the only good global cars have been volkswagons,volvos,toyota trucks, and some mercedes .Different regions have differnt needs

Edited by mistermodel, 12 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#29 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

it cracks me up that the wood pellets i use in my pellet stove say "Proudly Made In the USA". Really? "making" wood pellets is something to be proud of? oh for the old days of innovation and invention.

This brings about two questions...

1) Do you know what the employees are paid?  Perhaps it's quite a nice wage, after all the when I was working at a company that was dedicated to hauling Miller Beer around the janitorial staff made almost $20/hr to sweep the floors, let alone the wages the people who actually "manufactured" the beer itself.

2) Is making wood pellets beneath you?  You seem to have contempt for those workers?  So they aren't making battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job?  Having pride in something doesn't necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness. 

I guess since I only drive the truck, I can't have pride in my job since I didn't build the truck, or the factory it's assembled in... :rolleyes:

#30 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

2) Is making wood pellets beneath you?  You seem to have contempt for those workers?  So they aren't making battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job?  Having pride in something doesn't necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness. 

The key thing is taking pride in your work. I always tried to instill that in my students, my classmates, and everyone else where doing so was relevant and I was involved.

It doesn't matter if you're making wood pellets, computers, cars, battle ships or putty knives. If you don't care about what you're doing and it shows in the product, you and your customer both suffer the consequences.

Americans, historically, have taken pride in their work. Even during the social upheaval of the 1960s and '70s that brought the traditional values of work and integrity in the same into question, and then brought them low, caring about what you do is most important. What it is you care about what you're doing is, in a real sense, secondary.

Charlie Larkin

#31 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

>2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making >battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't

>necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

my point was that this seems to be what americas industrial might has been reduced to: making toothpicks from trees. it has not much to do with whether employees are proud of what they do, they have a right to be proud of it, but rather is this something AMERICA needs to trumpet as being proud of? how the mighty have fallen if this is indeed true but of course it is not; our greatest product these days is brainpower and the organization (some might call it exploitation) of others to do the actual work because they are willing and able to do it much cheaper. so perhaps the question should be: is making wood pellets beneath the once mighty strength and innovation of industry?

making this personal will only shine an unfavorable light, in my eyes anyway, on those attempting to divert the gaze of those critical of the situation we have worked ourselves into. we are part of a global economy, we are not THE global economy anymore. even our cars are made elsewhere or made of parts made elsewhere these days and that brings us back to the topic at hand.

edit: i just watched a PBS program, American Experience, on the Rockefeller history and legacy. One quote struck me as appropriate here and i will attempt to paraphrase it: from those to whom much is given, much is required.

Edited by jbwelda, 12 February 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#32 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

This is much to do about nothing.  It's the "General" section.  In case we have all forgotten, that is a place where general information (whether it be model kit related or not) that falls within the sites guidelines can be posted.  Harry simply pointed out that a car that was "born" in the United States will be assembled in the United States again.  He didn't say Canada can go take a giant leap somewhere.  He didn't put anyone down.  He just stated a car related fact.  I had a 94 Camaro, Canadian built, excellent car.  But that doesn't mean that the ones manufactured here in the USA were or will be junk.  And it doesn't mean Harry was bashing anyone by saying the assembly was coming back here.

#33 vintagercr

vintagercr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Martin

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

you make it sounds like thats good news

Harry, what's wrong with it being built in Canada.

#34 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,370 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

This is much to do about nothing.  It's the "General" section.  In case we have all forgotten, that is a place where general information (whether it be model kit related or not) that falls within the sites guidelines can be posted.  Harry simply pointed out that a car that was "born" in the United States will be assembled in the United States again.  He didn't say Canada can go take a giant leap somewhere.  He didn't put anyone down.  He just stated a car related fact.  I had a 94 Camaro, Canadian built, excellent car.  But that doesn't mean that the ones manufactured here in the USA were or will be junk.  And it doesn't mean Harry was bashing anyone by saying the assembly was coming back here.

Yes! Someone who took the post at face value, without reading all sorts of "hidden meanings" into it! Thank you, Ken.

#35 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

NP, Harry.  You've had my back when I was down before and I didn't see any point in everyone getting upset that you were passing along automotive related information.

Edited by Skydime, 13 February 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#36 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Full Name:Brett Jermaine Jackie Tito Marlon Michael Barrow

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Yet again, there are no shades of gray on the internet. "GM has announced that the next generation Camaro production will shift to Lansing, Michigan" becomes "Anything not made in America is a worthless pile of junk".

Why don't people just read what's written in a post, instead of thinking of everything that can possibly be read into it?  Read the lines, not between them.  <_< 

#37 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

USA-1 ....the number of American made parts in ANY Chevrolet......

#38 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

>2) Is making wood pellets beneath you? You seem to have contempt for those workers? So they aren't making >battleships...does that mean that can't be proud of their work and job? Having pride in something doesn't

>necessarily equate out to it's size or (for lack of a better term) epicness.

my point was that this seems to be what americas industrial might has been reduced to: making toothpicks from trees. it has not much to do with whether employees are proud of what they do, they have a right to be proud of it, but rather is this something AMERICA needs to trumpet as being proud of? how the mighty have fallen if this is indeed true but of course it is not; our greatest product these days is brainpower and the organization (some might call it exploitation) of others to do the actual work because they are willing and able to do it much cheaper. so perhaps the question should be: is making wood pellets beneath the once mighty strength and innovation of industry?

making this personal will only shine an unfavorable light, in my eyes anyway, on those attempting to divert the gaze of those critical of the situation we have worked ourselves into. we are part of a global economy, we are not THE global economy anymore. even our cars are made elsewhere or made of parts made elsewhere these days and that brings us back to the topic at hand.

edit: i just watched a PBS program, American Experience, on the Rockefeller history and legacy. One quote struck me as appropriate here and i will attempt to paraphrase it: from those to whom much is given, much is required.

#39 oldcarfan

oldcarfan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Gary

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

I can't find the link right now, but I read a while back that a lotof the companies that have been sending jobs to China are looking at bringing them back to the US to improve quality and response time. Seems that labor is like  everything else, you get what you pay for. Also anything that they ship over there to get built gets copied and ripped off.

#40 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I can't find the link right now, but I read a while back that a lotof the companies that have been sending jobs to China are looking at bringing them back to the US to improve quality and response time. Seems that labor is like  everything else, you get what you pay for. Also anything that they ship over there to get built gets copied and ripped off.

A lot is because just like what happened with Mexico years back, wages are escalating. The workers demanding more and shipping cost have climbed substantially over the years.

Makes it just about the same in the end producing it here, especially using non-union companies.