#21 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Only one i know of anymore is in the basement of University Ace Hardware in Berkeley CA. Used to be a bunch around northern california but one by one they have disappeared. there is a decent one in the foothills in i think oakdale too but its nothing to write home about. so...yes...the internet.

#22 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Being there's no hobby shop within a half hour or more from me I have to say that price wise www.scalehobbyist.com is the best and cheapest hobby shop that exists.  I've checked many of these websites that everyone has listed and the prices at the mentioned website I posted are much better.  Now if I had a local hobby shop within a hour drive of me that I could regularly visit and the prices were reasonable or comparable then I would support my local hobby shop.  Till one exists lol I have to go online with who has the cheapest prices.  Someone mentioned Penn Valley Hobby Shop in Lansdale.  Super nice people but a bit expensive.  They are sellers on ebay with VERY high prices.  

#23 Qwit Pushin

Qwit Pushin

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Grover

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm in SE Wisconsin, but I've been to Scale Model Supplies twice and have to agree it's a great hobby shop. Pegasus in California is good too. Here in Wisconsin, Model Empire in West Allis and Greenfield News & Hobby are excellent Milwaukee-area shops.

I now live in Sacramento, but was born and raised in the Milwaukee area and concur with your praise of Model Empire and Greenfield N &H. Whenever I'm back there, I make the trip to both of those fine shops. 

#24 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

There are six decent full-line (or fairly close) hobby shops in Massachusetts that I can think of:

My primary shop is The Spare Time Shop, Marlborough (about an hour west of Boston).

Harry's Hobbies and Collectibles, Norton (about an hour south of Boston).

Centerline Hobbies, Hyannis (on Cape Cod).

Hobby Emporium, Tyngsborough (about an hour north of Boston on the New Hampshire line, and as Mike said, GREAT shop).

Pioneer Valley Hobbies, West Springfield.

Hog Heaven Hobbies, Sturbridge (about 20-30 minutes west of Worcester on Rt. 20, go visit Old Sturbridge Village while you're there! www.osv.org).

There are a couple of other shops scattered around that are good back-ups.

Charlie Larkin

#25 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hobby Emporium, Tyngsborough (about an hour north of Boston on the New Hampshire line, and as Mike said, GREAT shop).

That's the only one I didn't get to when I was down there...makes me wish I had, now! :(