Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help please

I have a question & I really hope i can get some help here. My wonderful dad recently passed away he loved his model cars, I used to tease him about being a " Frankenstein" of cars. I now have tons of model cars & Die cast ones. And i have what i can only call a junk yard of all kinds of model car parts. I was wondering if someone in here could point me in the right direction for getting these things priced out. I really don't know much about them. I was thinking about going to a model car show, but i would not even know what to ask. any help here would be greatly appreciated. there are also lots of Hot Wheels & Johnny Lightening.

First off, sorry for your loss.

The daughters of my friend who passed are putting his on ebay and starting them at reasonable starting prices and just letting the market decide the outcome. Some go for a decent price and some have really surprised us all!

If possible, try to enlist the help of one of his model building friends to assist in listing the items.

Good luck

Jesse C.

Best "pricing" advice I can give is to look them up on eBay. That's the basic price guide these days. At the very least it will give you a rough idea of values. Feel free to private message me and i'll try to help.

My condolences on the loss of your father.

Edited by MAGNUM4342

You might want to contact a local Model club, in your area to get some input from them. As to how much a collection like your fathers might bring. Do you intend on selling it complete or individually. This site does offer an Auction place called E-Model cars where you can sell them at no listing fees. You could contact Gregg on that for better information on that.

I went to ebay, but my problem is some of the cars I dont know if they are 100% complete. Like i said my dad would buy a specifc car just for the tires & leave the rest of the car in the box. I am not kidding when i said he would build custom cars. Also I would like to see them as a full thing, I did look up the hot wheels cars on Ebay that was helpful, but not the for model cars.

Edited by Lil Ray's Daughter

i do think i would sell single if there was something specific someone wanted/

Unfortunately there's no selling allowed on this site. You might also wish to add your full name as per forum rules. There are alot of guys here on this site that can help. Check the "Where's Waldo" section and you might find folks in your area. :)

Unfortunately there's no selling allowed on this site. You might also wish to add your full name as per forum rules. There are alot of guys here on this site that can help. Check the "Where's Waldo" section and you might find folks in your area. :)

Ok I added my name. Well i will look into the idea's here.

First let me say I am sorry to hear of your father's passing.

There isn't any "selling" allowed, however you can conduct business via PM or email. My best advice for you is to create a list of what you have by manufacturer, kit number, brief description(make and model- ex. 1969 Ford Mustang), whether the kit is opened/unsealed or started. Most of the time, buying a kit already opened,us modelers know that parts could be missing and therefore we need to prepare for the possibility of just that.

Depending on the age of the kits, their value could be a much as a 7 course meal at a five star restaurant or a happy meal at McDonalds! No way to know until you have a list or pictures of the kits, preferably with the contents showing. Sometimes selling them in lots, usually similar cars or makes (Mustangs, Fords, etc.) can get them moved faster as well.

Get a list and there are several buyers of collections and there could be a show coming soon that would help you in selling them. Ask here if you have questions, there are many knowledgeable folks here that can help.

Edited by mikemodeler

Sorry for your loss.

I'm in Mass but the other end of the state in the Berkshires. MassCar model club is the biggest one around you and meets in Medfield, MA. There are some members here on the forum.

I would say ebay is your best bet. Just look in the kits for blank spots on the parts trees and if there are at least 4 tires in the box. In you ebay ad state that parts could be missing and that they are your fathers kits and you are unable to determine if they are 100%.

Edited by Foxer

Sorry for your loss.

I'm in Mass but the other end of the state in the Berkshires. MassCar model club is the biggest one around you and meets in Medfield, MA. There are some members here on the forum.

I would say ebay is your best bet. Just look in the kits for blank spots on the parts trees and if there are at least 4 tires in the box. In you ebay ad state that parts could be missing and that they are your fathers kits and you are unable to determine if they are 100%.

Yes. eBay is by far the largest market you will ever reach. List items "as is" with a picture of all contents. That way people can look an see what's missing. It is a lot of work to photograph, list, sell, ship, and inevitably deal with customers, so if you don't have extra time...

I have sold kits on eBay. I have seen how others tries to do their own thing (set up websites, Fotki albums, etc) - why try to reinvent the wheel? eBay is established, secure, and had millions of world wide users.

Your easiest option is to find a single buyer - but your take will be a lot less. Next in line would be a table at an event. This is a lot o work, too. Transport, set-up, sales, tear down, pack up, transport...

Evaluate the potential by searching eBay completed listings - you can get an idea if a kit is valuable or not.