30 replies to this topic

#21 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

anybody building a Model A Ford should be able to find millions of reference photos in Google Images alone... there's also the Model A Club that has a plethora of detailed photos and reference guides for colors, how the color combinations were put together, and what the interior looked like. 

all of Revell's Model A Fords shared basic engineering and the wheels/tires from any one kit will work on another. AMT's '29 roadster and MPC's '29 Pickup/woodie CAN be kitbashed with Revell parts but there are kit-engineering differences in the way both companies approached problems.

Revell's chromed multi-piece front suspension can be a PITA to assemble but it is WELL worth the effort in the result.

my only gripe with Revell is that they NEVER gave the builder an optional V8 for the A.... by 1962, when this kit was issued, not many banger 4's were still IN Model A's! of course, deciding which of many different V8's to include probably proved more than they wanted to handle!

#22 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,253 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

my only gripe with Revell is that they NEVER gave the builder an optional V8 for the A.... by 1962, when this kit was issued, not many banger 4's were still IN Model A's! of course, deciding which of many different V8's to include probably proved more than they wanted to handle!

Putting a V8, even a flathead Ford, in a Model A requires firewall and frame modifications, both in 1:1 and in scale. It's easy enough to do in 1:1, and easy enough to swap anything into it in scale. BUT, to offer an "optional V8" in the kit and have it just slip right in would have required tooling modifications. Probably as long as the kits were selling, there wasn't any particular incentive to make tooling changes. And the kits MUST have been selling, or there wouldn't be so many available on the auction sites.

#23 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

To clarify, I don't mean the exact ones in that photo - is it that type of Halibrand mags?  If not, what type is it?

Scroll to the bottome of post

http://www.jalopyjou...12153&showall=1

#24 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

To clarify, I don't mean the exact ones in that photo - is it that type of Halibrand mags?  If not, what type is it?

They do look a lot like the Halibrands made for Studebaker ca.62-63, but those had knock-offs, the kit wheels are regular bolt-ons. I think the Stude wheels had functional knock-offs, but i could be wrong about that. 

I've also seen some references made to the kit's wheels as Raders, but I can't find any Raders (or Radirs) that look anything like that.   

The only 1:1 wheel I know of they look anything like would be those Studebaker wheels. 

#25 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,253 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

They are quite similar to a U.S. Mags design using raised-side-rib spokes with flat centers, still offered.....

http://www.carid.com...hed-452424.html

And also some vintage Hurst wheels...

11Wheels013.jpg

But most probably represent the Halibrand design made for a Studebaker option, though the Stude had a 5 on 4.4" bolt pattern and the A had 5 on 5.5"...

Halibrand-Studebaker.jpg

HalibrandWheels-1.jpg

...offered separately....

halibrandstudebaker_zpsbd03b51c.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 20 February 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#26 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Harker

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Cheers!  Btw, did all the recent releases of the '31 A have these, and were these same optional wheels that come with the '29 A pickup?

#27 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

A-ha, the Studes are bolt on!  I'd say they are the Stude/Halibrand wheels without the knock offs, then - given that the time-frame of the release of the kit and the wheels are pretty much right around the same time (early 60's). 

#28 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Cheers!  Btw, did all the recent releases of the '31 A have these, and were these same optional wheels that come with the '29 A pickup?

No the '29 has the same rather blah 5 spoke Americans it's always had.  They make decent fronts for gassers, very little offset.  They look decent stripped and painted like unpolished mags.  They've got a few sink marks and waviness in them that show up pretty bad in chrome.  I think the Modelhaus offers a copy of original issue wheels that don't suffer from the waves and sink marks.  I think they call them 0 offset 5-spokes in their catalog. 

I think all the recent '31's have had those mags, but not all will work with the newer tooling big and little white-wall "rat-rod" tire set.  At least one issue had a different front tire to use with the mags. I think they had to modify the front wheels' diameter a little and modify the wheel backs.  They did something to them, now they're a straight drop-fit, other issues you had to do a little grinding and modifying to get them to work with the rat rod issue tires.         

Edited by Brett Barrow, 20 February 2013 - 07:02 AM.

#29 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

I think all the recent '31's have had those mags, but not all will work with the newer tooling big and little white-wall "rat-rod" tire set.  At least one issue had a different front tire to use with the mags. I think they had to modify the front wheels' diameter a little and modify the wheel backs.  They did something to them, now they're a straight drop-fit, other issues you had to do a little grinding and modifying to get them to work with the rat rod issue tires.         

Cheers for the info - very much appreciated!  I'm still slightly confused though as the instructions on Revell's website for the latest version show the different front tyres (& thus without whitewalls) which is strange if they've updated the kit so that the mags fit the whitewalls, or are the other (smaller) tyres supplied purely to change the front ride height for that building option?

#30 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

You know what, I'm wrong, they didn't change them on the 31, just the 29 pickup.  Sorry!  I could have sworn the one box top model had whitewalls with the mags, but looking at it again it's got the small radials up front.  The front mags in the 31 are quite a bit smaller than the rears, looks like they'd fall right through the whitewalls.  Maybe with 2 pairs of rears you could make something work. Sorry again, I was wrong.   

#31 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

No worries at all, and many thanks for clarifying :)