Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting resin parts

Hi all,

I learned about overcoming a problem painting resin parts. I thought I would post this here. I do some custom resin work for a guy named Mike. He asked me a question that I was absolutely useless to answer. So Mike asked Don the Modelhaus guy and here is what Mike related to me. Hopefully this will be important to you. Mike is a professional model builder and deals with mostly promo cars and is also a body and paint guy on real cars. I personally use the SMOOTH -ON TASK 8 resin. That resin is designed to withstand a good amount of heat.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Don Holthaus came up with the solution to the stubborn mold release/paint problem on the resin hood. He said to bake the part for
an hour or two at 125 degrees and that would sweat out any contaminates that were imbedded in the resin. It worked, I baked it, cleaned it with PPG 330 and primed it with a 2 part urethane primer/sealer with no problems. Made me a little nervous to heat up the part but it was only a hood, not sure I would do it on an entire body. No more resin parts or kits from sellers I don't know. I'll stick with Modelhaus or your stuff.
Mike