Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ecto 1-A to Hearse Conversion

David G.

I bought two of the Ecto 1-A kits; one to build as the Ecto 1 and this one to convert back into a hearse.

59_Hearse_01_12.jpg.cca914b905ff9a7d6de0a78860ede754.jpg

Smoothing the roof...

59_Hearse_02_12.jpg.45e91dbeda6d6815d4e641ff231d299e.jpg

More to come later.

Thanks for looking.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

The '59 Cadillac hearse was built by several manufacturers(S&S, Miller-Meteor, etc...) and all were offered with either forward, or suicide (3-way, side loader) doors, and the rear windows were covered on both models.

I have converted many of these bodies David, it's not too hard to do. Just take a piece of card stock and hold it on the inside of the body, and use a pencil to draw the shape of the window, and cut it out about 1/8th of an inch outside the line you drew. Transfer that to sheet plastic, and reverse it for the other window. Good luck with your build! B)

Edited by Custom Hearse

I will be watching this one too.

I started one of these conversions with an original issue.

Now with the kit back out, I want to do more.

One thing for anyone making a Stock Ambulance or hearse. The Step Bumper in the kitwas not offered

untill the 60 model year.

Too bad that AMT/Round2 did not tool up a Standard bumper for this re-issue

since they did see fit to include the decals from Both the First & Second movies.

I've decided to use the Monogram Pink Cadillac I picked up at a swap meet as a donor.

Looks like I'm going all-out on this one. I've already cut the frame from the car so I can stretch it to fit under the hearse.

I'll try to get some pics up later.

David G.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'd thought about building a side-loader... for about thirty seconds. If I did that, I'd have to open the doors, otherwise, what would be the point?

I will open the hood, though.

The front seat proportions are a bit off, so it's going to have to go.

59_Hearse_03_12.jpg.7f5eb4a8fbbd226ab6f8c6cd20296722.jpg

The ugly seat is gone, now I've got to find a replacement. As far as the cargo area, I'll probably rebuild most of it.

59_Hearse_04_12.jpg.e36d29cf6380f6c542e12de9ebb801c7.jpg

Here's my donor kit, a Monogram 1959 Pink Cadillac built by somebody else. I found it a few years ago at a swap meet.

59_Hearse_05_12.jpg.b637f869a099a255114a7df52a32c0d5.jpg

That's all for now. As always, feedback and input is always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

David,

If you have no aversion to e-bay, there's a seller on there by the handle Three Inches Under who sells 1:24 - 1:25 scale hearse and ambulance parts and details. His merchandise is top quality and highly esoteric; everything from caskets to embalming equipment. I've purchased several items from him to attempt to convert the '50 Olds into a "hearse that never was".

On a side note, for a little inspiration, do a search for the Hearse Girls :wub: .

Edited by Shardik

David,

If you have no aversion to e-bay, there's a seller on there by the handle Three Inches Under who sells 1:24 - 1:25 scale hearse and ambulance parts and details. His merchandise is top quality and highly esoteric; everything from caskets to embalming equipment. I've purchased several items from him to attempt to convert the '50 Olds into a "hearse that never was".

On a side note, for a little inspiration, do a search for the Hearse Girls :wub: .

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that!

David G.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small update on the Ecto-1/Hearse project.

I've cut the donor frame to allow for for the extension.

59_Hearse_06_12.jpg.63e2ec8bb9f519e649a596bd45326ab2.jpg

Primer and wet sanding on the body.

59_Hearse_08_12.jpg.c5dbf2adc815802fd265bebd47519557.jpg

As always, all comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Your doing great sofar........I built a kustoms 59 caddy wagon......But wanted it to look more wagon so I took aonther tub for that car and cut the seats out of that to make bench seat in back aswell. Heres a pic.Picture016-3.jpg

Not a great pic I guess.......But you get what I was saying.

NOT TRYING TO HIGHJACK YOUR THREAD, JUST GIVING YOU IDEA'S.

Edited by H.A.K

The '59 Cadillac hearse was built by several manufacturers(S&S, Miller-Meteor, etc...) and all were offered with either forward, or suicide (3-way, side loader) doors, and the rear windows were covered on both models.

I have converted many of these bodies David, it's not too hard to do. Just take a piece of card stock and hold it on the inside of the body, and use a pencil to draw the shape of the window, and cut it out about 1/8th of an inch outside the line you drew. Transfer that to sheet plastic, and reverse it for the other window. Good luck with your build! B)

I think I'm going to build mine with glass all the way around. I plan on building a roller deck and casket for the cargo are and I'd like for all of that to be seen.

Also, I noticed in the picture of the wagon you're building, there are cut-outs on the right quarter panel. Mine has the cut-outs on the left quarter panel. What kit is yours from?

Cool project! Have you tried the grill assembly from the Monogram 59 Eldorado on Ecto 1-A for a fit comparison?

Thought... a Grateful Dead "Dead Head" sticker on the rear window. :)

Enjoying the build.

Thanks!

I have tried that grille. It's just a bit too small, which is a bit of a bummer since it's it's nicer than the Ecto-1 grille. I have, however cut the center section from the rear bumper of the car to use in place of the step bumper on the hearse. I've been thinking of doing something similar with the front grille and bumper assembly. I just haven't worked out a good way to do it yet.

David G.