#41 Edsel-Dan

Edsel-Dan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Lee Gunter

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

kc7wzl, and anyone else wanting 1/25 (Yes they are  1/25 Not 1/24!) scale WW2 (Or even older & newer) Military vehicles

Look for GPM, Modelik, Fly, Answer Brands. Our European members will find these easier than US members though.

They offer Half tracks, 2 1/2's and More All in 1/25 scale!!

I have an Opel Blitz that can be built as a stake bed or box van Ambulance

Would you like a 1/25 scale copy of Tamiya's Dragon Wagon Tank recovery hauler??

It Is out there.

Warning though, These are PAPER Models. But, Don't let that stop you from looking at them.

They Ar HIGH Parts count, with Interiors, working suspension in many cases, etc.

They just come in Flat booklet form!!

Many of the Tanks have Laser cut tracks as optional add ons.

#42 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Speaking of... let's just say that ICM does something really nutty, and produces a Bulletnose Stude coupe, or maybe (maybe?) a '37 Coupe Express? (I know there are at least two guys on this thread who'd back me up on that last one being a good idea.)

Whoever makes those, I'll buy at least one or two of each. If they include the parts to build all years of the Coupe Express (1937-'39), yes, I will buy all three to build all three.

I would vastly prefer 1/25 to keep it with my American prototype stuff, but I'm working on a display to show off my 1/24 and 1/25 pre-War stuff together.

Charlie Larkin

#43 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

I see the politically correct have decreed once again that if we see swastikas on box art we may get carried away and invade Poland.

#44 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

I can almost hear the screams of joy if someone would do a styrene 50-51 Studebaker Coupe ..............Besides , this was a "Moonshiners mobile ". Yep, I remember several of em back in the middle 1950's too Oh they ran Cadillac engines them. The Studebaker 6's were just for showroom pieces anyway .

Edited by Eshaver, 21 February 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#45 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

I can almost hear the screams of joy if someone would do a styrene 50-51 Studebaker Coupe ..............Besides , this was a "Moonshiners mobile ". Yep, I remember several of em back in the middle 1950's too Oh they ran Cadillac engines them. The Studebaker 6's were just for showroom pieces anyway .

That seems like it would be a natural for Moeibus.  

#46 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Moebius, yes.  They should give that Bullet-nose a good hard look.

As for ICM, though, as it's been pointed out, they don't generally know from yanks; they're all about late '30s/early '40s stuff, European and linked to WWII.  Besides the odd workhorse truck or two, the Packard's an exception only 'cause it was Stalin's.

And I wouldn't be looking for any Revell USA price points, either; the 1:35 cars are in the $40-$50 range stateside.

But man, are they worth it.  The Admiral Sedan I have is so detailed, it can be upsized without anything added and still blow most biscales into the weeds.  Outside of the Japanese renaissance in 1/20 F1 kits, Hasegawa's Jeep and Kubelwagen, and those increasingly rare occasions when Tamiya gets serious with a new car model, it's hard not to notice the ever-widening gap between automotive and AFV kits in precision and detail.  I've long wondered what would happen if the same design discipline currently used in military subjects were applied to a mainstream automotive subject, and it's ICM that's come closest to answering that question, far as I'm concerned.

Only things I'd ask for are chrome parts and rubber tires, and lo and behold, looks like they're addressing that.  Excited about the Admiral and six-wheeler as it is; if the Packard and the "Leader" car cross over, I'll be ecstatic.  Maybe a '42 Ford staff sedan would fit in ICM's mandate, and if such a thing ever sees the light of day, watch out.  Prob'ly won't sell to the WalMart crowd, but it'll be unlike any preceding model of a Ford from that era.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 21 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#47 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Harker

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Agreed.  Whilst thinking of WW2 related cars, a full detail 1:24 Tatra kit would be fantastic!

#48 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, a Ford staff car.................. wow , whodda thunk dat ? Yeah, put one dem out too !

#49 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Full Name:Christian

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I see the politically correct have decreed once again that if we see swastikas on box art we may get carried away and invade Poland.

Ah, don't get me started. Whenever I see a picture of Hitler, I raise my right arm and sign a membership form of the Nazi party.

On a more serious note, I hope at least the decal sheet is - erm - complete.

#50 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • Full Name:Christian

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Agreed.  Whilst thinking of WW2 related cars, a full detail 1:24 Tatra kit would be fantastic!

Now we're talkin'.

Edited by Junkman, 21 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#51 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't count on getting the decals - Airfix now routinely leave out swastikas from WW2 luftwaffe model kits.

In my book by denying the thing you are only giving it power.  But that's not a discussion for here.

Tatra.  Yes.  One of the cars Dr Porsche got all his ideas from.

I'd love a 1/25 kit of a 603

#52 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

They do an 87, they can sign me right up.

#53 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Here is the Revell Germany 1/35 "Admiral" - Hobbytown USA price? $28.99. That's not bad for a 199 piece kit.

E58631FA-0031-421C-84C7-7FBC5F9574AA-176

These kits are quite complicated. Not only are the bodies multi piece, but many assemblies are more involved than "normal" car kits - the frame needs to be out together:

0308F56D-9F4C-44AB-B1DF-945B5D6E7D1F-177

The door handles and wipers and many very small parts are molded separately.

Edited by Erik Smith, 21 February 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#54 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

That does look neat..any pics of what's in the box?

#55 Paul H

Paul H

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Harker

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

They do an 87, they can sign me right up.

Ditto!  If there was a choice, I'd prefer the slightly earlier T77 or T77A, but the T87 is probably more correct for the military theme.  I'd happily buy kits of all three though!

That does look neat..any pics of what's in the box?

Details of the parts on ICM's website:

http://www.icm.com.u...-staff-car.html

And instructions on Revell Germany's:

http://www.revell.de/manual/03099.PDF

#56 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

Interesting to see a multi-piece body, very old school....the parts breakdown on the instructions reminds me of some of the old Monogram '30s Classics kits.   I'm guessing the two vertical bars on the cowl sides are flag mounts, but what is the funny thing on the front left fender above the parking light, some sort of military device?  i find the Admiral kit interesting because of the bodystyle--4dr convertibles of that era are pretty scarce in model kits.

Edited by Rob Hall, 22 February 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#57 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

Interesting to see a multi-piece body, very old school....the parts breakdown on the instructions reminds me of some of the old Monogram '30s Classics kits.   I'm guessing the two vertical bars on the cowl sides are flag mounts, but what is the funny thing on the front left fender above the parking light, some sort of military device?  i find the Admiral kit interesting because of the bodystyle--4dr convertibles of that era are pretty scarce in model kits.

I believe the thing on the left front fender might be a shrouded light, designed to provide some night illumination, without using the headlights, to reduce the enemy's ability to see the car. Here's one version:

MBStaffCar-August2005-03_zpse3e17dfa.jpg

Hermann Goering also had one on his armored "Blue Goose" Mercedes.

Speaking of Goose, I wonder if (besides the goose step) there was special symbolism there. You'll notice the goose-stepping geese on the Opel kit.

http://forums.aaca.o...z-297850-7.html

bluegooselight_zps5900193c.jpg

Edited by sjordan2, 22 February 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#58 robertw

robertw

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

The demand for these pre-war auto classics may be small but for those of us who enjoy building these great classics they'll be a must have. I'll need to talk to my LHS owner the next time I'm in the city.

#59 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

I believe the thing on the left front fender might be a shrouded light, designed to provide some night illumination, without using the headlights, to reduce the enemy's ability to see the car. Here's one version:

MBStaffCar-August2005-03_zpse3e17dfa.jpg

It is a light for night driving without the headlamps illuminated, the vehicle in front would have a reflector, or in most cases the rear asxle on the trucks was painted white, the vehicles could travel close together and as long as the driver kept the reflector in sight they didn't need to use headlamps .... on the back of the Mercedes staff car you will see a rectangular reflector, 

Attached File  170v_006.jpg   2.98KB   4 downloads

Edited by GeeBee, 22 February 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#60 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,484 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

One kit that can be turned into a very nice WWII vehicle is the Airfix/Heller 170 Mercedes saloon (1936-42 with a later reissue by Mercedes). It also makes for a nice period-correct, frumpy sedan that I find sort of charming, and was used as a police car. Nicely done kit that I have in my stash, awaiting use as a parts car.

MB170sedankit_zpsf77a906e.jpg