#21 mitchell

mitchell

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Full Name:Mitchell Huang

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

did u get all the accessories for this kit? I want to build this kit too. 

#22 DanR

DanR

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Ricchezza

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Nope, it's all right out of the box.

#23 DanR

DanR

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Ricchezza

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Sadly, for anyone following this post, I completely screwed the pooch on this kit and decided to scrap it. My advice if you're going to build this - invest the extra money in Tamiya's front fork kit. The forks on this were a mess - weak, poorly constructed (which was a surprise for a Tamiya kit), and in the process of having to correct a minor mistake that I made, they snapped off and the front end was an irreparable mess. 

I see that Tamiya is releasing a full view version of this same kit. I may take another crack at it. I learned enough from my first pass at it to know how to build it right next time. My main piece of advice - wherever possible, attach the hoses and wires in advance. Trying to attach hoses to tight spaces caused a lot of the problems that led to me giving up on this.

#24 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Too bad. Could you use it as a background or diorama "project", so as not to be a total loss?

#25 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Stencell

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Don, Tamiya recommended a 1:1 mix of copper and red brown but it was too dark when compared to actual photos. I lightened it considerably with Titanium Gold until it was a more acceptable shade. I'm not thrilled with Tamiya's suggested colors, some are miles away from what's in the photos.

My kit of this bike had a small correction sheet in with it, and it seems that Titanium gold was in the mix. I cannot find the sheet! So, my kit must have been a later production than yours.  I like the pic of the chop stick holding the chain and rear sprocket.  I was using a chop stick to hold some brake discs today for painting.

#26 gerdog

gerdog

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Gerry Stencell

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Sadly, for anyone following this post, I completely screwed the pooch on this kit and decided to scrap it. My advice if you're going to build this - invest the extra money in Tamiya's front fork kit. The forks on this were a mess - weak, poorly constructed (which was a surprise for a Tamiya kit), and in the process of having to correct a minor mistake that I made, they snapped off and the front end was an irreparable mess. 

I see that Tamiya is releasing a full view version of this same kit. I may take another crack at it. I learned enough from my first pass at it to know how to build it right next time. My main piece of advice - wherever possible, attach the hoses and wires in advance. Trying to attach hoses to tight spaces caused a lot of the problems that led to me giving up on this.

You could buy another kit, and use this one to display the engine and pipes separately as well as the fairing.  Just a thought,  You have done an excellent job so far, but sometimes things just go off the rails.