#21 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Yeah I absolutely hate losing those small parts.  My issue mainly involves trying to pick up and place a teeeeeeeny PE piece with a pair of pointed, magnetized tweezers.  

Is there such a thing as a pair of tweezers that will actually hold a part and not propel it into orbit?

#22 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Is there such a thing as a pair of tweezers that will actually hold a part and not propel it into orbit?

sadly I don't think so.

#23 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

There are those "reverse-tension" kind, I think Micro-Mark still sells them that hold tension on the object in the "grip" automatically and you apply pressure to it to release the part.

The vinyl floor monster in my semi ate three ignition coils out of three separate GM kits a few years ago.

#24 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

The Great Invisible Floor Monster recently ate one of the carb/manifolds from a Manx buggy I was building.I saw it drop and searched for several minutes all around my work area to no avail.So back into the box the model goes until I find a replacement carb.

#25 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am working on a Heller Citroen truck and the three pedals are the size of fleas.  To show you where they go, there is a little circle on the floor board, but you're pretty much standing these on end.  I needed a more definite mount, so I drilled three holes in the floor board. I got two of these glued in place (and neatly too!) and the third one did that 'plink!' off into hyperspace.  I didn't even go searching. I decided to make a more traditional gas pedal out of black plastic and glued it in place.  I'm sure the lost one will now show up!

My work bench disorganization monster has absorbed the same model's dashboard. I know I painted it but I can't find it. That's why I have two of the same kit open!  I grabbed the part from the second kit, primed and painted it last night.  When and if that lost piece shows up, it goes into the second box. 

#26 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I am working on a Heller Citroen truck and the three pedals are the size of fleas.  To show you where they go, there is a little circle on the floor board, but you're pretty much standing these on end.  I needed a more definite mount, so I drilled three holes in the floor board. I got two of these glued in place (and neatly too!) and the third one did that 'plink!' off into hyperspace.  I didn't even go searching. I decided to make a more traditional gas pedal out of black plastic and glued it in place.  I'm sure the lost one will now show up!

My work bench disorganization monster has absorbed the same model's dashboard. I know I painted it but I can't find it. That's why I have two of the same kit open!  I grabbed the part from the second kit, primed and painted it last night.  When and if that lost piece shows up, it goes into the second box. 

Interesting,,,,,,,My tweezers make the exact same sound,,,,,, followed pretty close by a oh &%@* . Followed closely by the wife god asking,,,  Honey why are you on your knees ?

I have a set,,,,,, they don't help

Edited by gtx6970, 26 February 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#27 pa3de8

pa3de8

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Banzaca

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

LOL... Luckily for me I haven't had the floor monster get me. I do work on my stuff kinda close to the floor and it is carpeted. I don't have a room with a bench or desk that I work on so maybe that's why since I work sitting on the floor in the family room using the the coffee table it hasn't happened.

#28 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

LOL... Luckily for me I haven't had the floor monster get me. I do work on my stuff kinda close to the floor and it is carpeted. I don't have a room with a bench or desk that I work on so maybe that's why since I work sitting on the floor in the family room using the the coffee table it hasn't happened.

It's only that the monster hasn't acquired a taste for styrene yet.  When it does...look out! :lol:

#29 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I do have a pair of those reverse tweezers but the tips are way too big and thick to get into tiny spots.  I find the "wet toothpick" method of picking up the tiny PE parts to be the best so far....  whatever works right..??

#30 pa3de8

pa3de8

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Banzaca

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

It's only that the monster hasn't acquired a taste for styrene yet.  When it does...look out! :lol:

LOL, I will try and watch out for the monster.

#31 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

had this discussion too many times. in my room, i dont have a monster, i refer to it as the black hole. things fall and can never be found....... till years later you open up that project you haven't touched in a while and ... "WOW !!  i have been looking for that" happens. ..... anyone have a clear red 73/74 duster rear taillight? been looking for THAT for a while.

a side note, now that i am "older" things dont have to hit the floor anymore, i lose them right on the desk now.....

#32 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

..... anyone have a clear red 73/74 duster rear taillight? been looking for THAT for a while.

I might , I have a box of 73-74 Duster builders, parts + pieces

edit , never mind.

I don't even have enough lenses for the 3 kits I have

Edited by gtx6970, 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#33 XJ6

XJ6

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Full Name:Don Veihle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

*** yes there is a way....what i have done is... Well i use Shrink Wrap Tubing...cut of a small piece for the end of the tweezers...and heat it up and will shrink to the contour of the tweezers..

This will give you a rubber grip..when holding small parts..and they won't fly off the tweezers.....plastic and metal is a slippery surface...

This works good...takes up just a mute amount of space on the tweezers...

Hope this help's...

Cheers...Don