#1 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

First off I'm sorry I don't have a better picture out of 15+ pictures this is the bestIMG489.jpg AMT 71 duster bumper.

the plated parts in the kit mainly the bumpers look cloudy there are spots that look clear on the parts too which makes the bumpers look worse almost like they are scratched. Anybody else seen this before? Is there anyway I can improve them without alclad or BMF?

#2 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Wipe them down with thinner to clean the surface and dip them in futureshine.

#3 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

If worse comes to worse , you can always strip the parts completely ( "Purple Power" , et al. ) , paint them with a gloss black basecoat  , and then lay down some Duplicolor CS-101 .

It's not only more durable than Alclad , but it's also not a PITA to use . Its finish is very convincing !

#4 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,359 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Anybody else seen this before? Is there anyway I can improve them without alclad or BMF?

It's not uncommon on late '90s- early '00s AMT kits. I have a '60 Chevy pickup with similar chrome plating. The best solution is to remove the existing plating and undercoat, then send it out to be re-plated. I have yet to see a part "chromed" any other way which looks as nice as vacuum plated parts.

#5 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's not uncommon on late '90s- early '00s AMT kits. I have a '60 Chevy pickup with similar chrome plating. The best solution is to remove the existing plating and undercoat, then send it out to be re-plated. I have yet to see a part "chromed" any other way which looks as nice as vacuum plated parts.

X 10!  Although John Teresi has to be the best I've seen yet. I can personally recommend LittleMotorKarCo's plating services. Very quick service, his chrome is excellent and will take care of any problems quickly.

#6 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

What is a ballpark figure for sending stuff out to get plated? I know there is a lot of factor for a price but is it reasonable or expensive?

#7 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

You're in luck Dave! I happen to still have a price list of his here in my hand. He has a $15 minimum order. If you have anything else that needs chromed, send it also. Stripping your parts will save you a little or a lot of money depending on how much you send. Here's his price list:

Mounted 6" x 8" rack                                                                               $22.00    (good deal if you have a lot of parts)

Stripped parts

Bumper, bumper/grill, grill or tail light panel                                               $3.00

Promo wheel or hubcap                                                                             $1.25

Individual small parts ( head lights, tail lights, scoops, ornaments etc)      $1.75

Mounted strip of small parts (up to 8 inches long)                                      $6.00    (this would be the best way to do small parts)

Unstripped parts

Bumper, bumper/grille, grill or tail light panel                                             $4.50

Promo wheel or hubcap                                                                             $2.00

Individual small parts                                                                                 $2.25

Return shipping is $8.00 per order.

email       horners@ptd.net

phone    (610) 779-1462