83 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Looks like this kit is arriving in August 2013, this time with the "blue stripe" new tool Goodyear slicks, and "Newly tooled vintage-style Halibrand mags are included, front and rear, for a tough gasser look" which I am assuming are the same as the newly tooled wheels in the Ohio George '33 Willys kit, as well as translucent red "glass". Sounds like it will be in the larger "art print" box like the '76 Gremlin and '40 Ford Gene Winfield Sedan Delivery kits, too:

product.jpg

http://round2models....ys-coupe-pickup

#2 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

This was always a good kit; now, it sounds even better!

#3 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Might have to pick this one up. Now if we can get Round 2 to reissue the Alexander Brothers '32 Sedan to go with it.....

#4 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I hope they call it a 1941 or make it the correct 1940.  That's what they should do if they want to sell a ton of these, retool the grill to the 40.

You can't have too many Willys :P

#5 Mark

Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

The red "Street Coupe" and the yellow pickup were the only instances of the Willys being issued alone, in one body style. These were part of a narrow-box "budget" series around 1976. There was also a custom-only '69 Corvair, stock-only Opel GT, and several of the altered-wheelbase funny cars with mufflers added to make them "street freaks". The Parnelli Jones Watson roadster and Lotus Indy car were issued also.

#6 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

so is this in fact the very same tool as was issued back in the early sixties with the chopped 32 sedan with the quad headlamp edsel insert grille? if so...wow, thats old. and i wish they brought back the 32 as well.

#7 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

so is this in fact the very same tool as was issued back in the early sixties with the chopped 32 sedan with the quad headlamp edsel insert grille? if so...wow, thats old. and i wish they brought back the 32 as well.

Yes, it is.

#8 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Since I know nothing about this kit, how does it compare to the Revell's gasser version?

#9 azers

azers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Full Name:Joe l. Spitzer

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

In my opinion. Not even close. Revells hands down.

#10 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

While it builds up pretty nice, I agree that it is not even close to the Revell Willys kit.

#11 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

How does the AMT '40 compare to the '60s era Revell S-W-C Swindler A kit?

#12 gman

gman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Peters

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

How does the AMT '40 compare to the '60s era Revell S-W-C Swindler A kit?

The AMT kit goes together easier, while the old tooling Revell kit has better proportions.

AMT kits from the period had unrealistically treaded vinyl tires while Revell had two piece vinyl tires that made seamless assembly almost impossible- both benefit from swapping in some vintage MPC or late model Revell rubber if you are building a gasser from either manufacturer. Mid to late 1980's reissues of the old Revell kit (and other Revell reissues of the period) had unplated parts and chrome that was so full of flash they were practically unusable and lots of debris in the chrome and/or partial plating coverage...stay away from the "Street Demons" and "Hot Rod" boxed versions if looking for vintage Revell kits online unless you're prepared to do a lot of work making things look and fit right.

Edited by gman, 27 February 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#13 Daddyfink

Daddyfink

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Full Name:Jesse Chavez

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

The AMT kit goes together easier, while the old tooling Revell kit has better proportions.

AMT kits from the period had unrealistically treaded vinyl tires while Revell had two piece vinyl tires that made seamless assembly almost impossible- both benefit from swapping in some vintage MPC or late model Revell rubber if you are building a gasser from either manufacturer. Mid to late 1980's reissues of the old Revell kit (and other Revell reissues of the period) had unplated parts and chrome that was so full of flash they were practically unusable and lots of debris in the chrome and/or partial plating coverage...stay away from the "Street Demons" and "Hot Rod" boxed versions if looking for vintage Revell kits online unless you're prepared to do a lot of work making things look and fit right.

Actually, the original versions of both kit had really nice tires in them. It was the latter 70's and up issues that had the crummy tires.

#14 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

JB...be watching your mail box or hobby store magazine shelf for more on that '32 sedan (if you haven't already seen it...)  TIM

#15 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

In my opinion. Not even close. Revells hands down.

While it builds up pretty nice, I agree that it is not even close to the Revell Willys kit.

For a just about 50 year old tool (as of this coming October), it does pretty well.  The tilt front end is mega-cool and the fully upholstered, tuck'n''roll interior is way cool as well....but you really need one of the original issues with the correct shallow'n'deep Halibrands and tires....TIM

#16 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

>JB...be watching your mail box or hobby store magazine shelf for more on that '32 sedan (if you haven't already seen it...) 

here i thought maybe R2 was announcing reissuing it, oh joy oh joy, but i take it you mean the double kit being featured heavily in your article in 174? actually i am more interested in the XR6, i have hoarded up a few of those kits and buildups and its gonna be a project in the next year to build one up nice. it was always a pretty simple and well fitting kit, if  you ignored the panel junctions which i could manage when i was 12 but i think now i will try it to a bit more exacting specification. i always dug that goofball asymetrical design

but back to the willys, i always liked that AMT version, way easier to build than the revell ones though less detailed but the tilt front end made up for it and i never particularly liked opening doors anyhow.

#17 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Now this one I could buy. mainly for the slicks, but a lot more parts and pieces I can use. Am I reading this right, this kit has a flip ft end ?

I built a Revell SWC kit a LOOOOOONG time ago and hated it because I never could get the opening doors to work right.

When I went to Bowling Green Ky this summer for the Hot Rod Reunion there were all kinds of Willys gassers running around, it was actually pretty cool.

ps, whats the difference between a 1940 and a 1941 ?

Edited by gtx6970, 28 February 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#18 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Yes, it is.

de3c_9b12.jpg?c=d935

#19 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Let's see six different Willys  kits ?

1) AMT double with '32 custom 140.jpg single versions mtmGDcMs7lTX75juJK1TJBg.jpg

2) AMT pick up T1841-th.jpg with coupe 140.jpg

3) Early Revell SW&C 109052995-260x260-0-0_revell+revell+ston

4) Revell pick up 109000822-260x260-0-0_revell+rare+revell

5) New Revell Coupe 96608195-260x260-0-0_Revell+Revell+Big+J

6) Revell street Rod "version" 1941_Willys_StreetRod_Box_1-th.jpg

Yes, I know '40, '41 and '43 ? but all Willys just the same.

Edited by Greg Myers, 01 March 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#20 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Really only 4, the AMT pickup and coupe are from the same tooling. 

The "new" wheels in the Round2 resto-issue will be the new 5 window mags from the Ohio George Willys, plus new fronts which, from what I've been told, will be based on the new fronts in the MPC Bounty Hunter, but with lugnuts instead of spindle mount.  Not sure that they will replicate anything in the 1:1 world (maybe an "inside out" mounted Halibrand with the reinforcement webbing on the visible side?)  but should at least look cool!