83 replies to this topic

#41 tim boyd

tim boyd

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Just to add fuel to the fire...here are pictures of the AMT '40 Willys and the original Revell '41 Willys.  These were both built back in the mid 1980's...TIM

DSC_0122-vi.jpg DSC_0110-vi.jpgDSC_0126-vi.jpgDSC_0115-vi.jpg

#42 1930fordpickup

1930fordpickup

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Lemble

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

Nice work Tim .

#43 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • Full Name:Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist Brett M. Barrow, Esq.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

>How shall I go on now with life, knowing that all I hold dear is just a cheap facade???...

well,  you could build a model.

Wait, you're supposed to build these things?!?! So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years...

#44 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm not a brain on this one.....or anyone. I just know a very good resin caster who did merged the two bodies to make the best Willys pick up you can buy. For the price, its better than doing the work yourself.

#45 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Well, whatever the means, it's a fantastic idea, and it might not have been pointed out if it weren't for you....

#46 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,624 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

woke up this morning believing in a world where there were only 4 distinctively different 40-41 Willys gasser kits, but now I realize there are actually 5.  You have turned my world upside down and shaken me to my core beliefs. How shall I go on now with life, knowing that all I hold dear is just a cheap facade???...    

Don't sweat it!  These guys mess with my rather fragile grip on reality on a daily basis.  I learn something new here on a regular basis.

#47 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

It would be cool if someone released a stock Willys.

#48 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Stupid Question # 1 :

Is the AMT Willys drivetrain supposed to represent an Olds Rocket with a B&M Hydro-Stick Hydramatic ?

I've heard some funny stories about Hydro-Stick equipped cars from back in the early 60's . A former coworker and present friend ( he'll be turning 70 this year , and can physically run circles around guys one-third his age !) told me about one particular instance at Whirly's Drive-In from around 1964 : a high school buddy of his had a '41 Willys with a '49 Olds and B&M 'Hydro ; and , apparently , starting the car was possible in *any* gear range ---- including forward gears .

So his friend fires-off his copper-with-pearl-white-wheelwells Willys , and the car lurches-forward in a fell swoop ...

... right smack into the trunk and rear end of a customised '58 Impala ! The 'Hydro was in 1st gear when he started it :blink: .

___________________ __________________________ _________________________ _______________________

Around thirty (30) years ago , I saw a photo --in the other model magazine-- of a stcok , U.S. NAVY Willys pickup . No accompanying article ; just a photo .

Edited by 1972coronet, 03 March 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#49 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

To answer Stupid Question #1 (not that it's a stupid question), yes, the AMT Willys is an Olds engine with a Hydo-Stick. The original issue of the kit even had a B&M Hydro-Stick decal on the sheet, the one that has a robot banging through the gears on it.

On a similar note, the original Revell '41 Willys has a similar engine/trans combo.

Edited by Longbox55, 03 March 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#50 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

AMT called it a B&M "Hypro-shift" on the original box, but got it right on the instruction sheet. And it's a 2nd gen Olds (1964+)

#51 AzTom

AzTom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Allen

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Here is another version, of the same kit. This one came with a drag strip display.

KitAmt40Willys_242-vi.jpg

#52 Chitown

Chitown

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Supak

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

The shape of the front fenders always seemed a little funky to me but overall I've always liked this kit, especially the period-perfect drag parts.

And although I already have a few of the re-releases stashed, I'll be getting one of these for that great box art. One of my favorites!

#53 gman

gman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Peters

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:12 AM

Stupid Question # 1 :

Is the AMT Willys drivetrain supposed to represent an Olds Rocket with a B&M Hydro-Stick Hydramatic ?

I've heard some funny stories about Hydro-Stick equipped cars from back in the early 60's . A former coworker and present friend ( he'll be turning 70 this year , and can physically run circles around guys one-third his age !) told me about one particular instance at Whirly's Drive-In from around 1964 : a high school buddy of his had a '41 Willys with a '49 Olds and B&M 'Hydro ; and , apparently , starting the car was possible in *any* gear range ---- including forward gears .

So his friend fires-off his copper-with-pearl-white-wheelwells Willys , and the car lurches-forward in a fell swoop ...

... right smack into the trunk and rear end of a customised '58 Impala ! The 'Hydro was in 1st gear when he started it :blink: .

___________________ __________________________ _________________________ _______________________

Around thirty (30) years ago , I saw a photo --in the other model magazine-- of a stcok , U.S. NAVY Willys pickup . No accompanying article ; just a photo .

That sounds like someone didn't install or properly connect the safety switch on the shifter mechanism that prevents the vehicle from being started only in park/neutral rather than being a function of a particular engine or transmission combo ;).

#54 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

It would be cool if someone released a stock Willys.

A stock appearing Willys Americar would make a pretty cool model, you could take the '41 Revell Street Machine fill in the hole in the hood and add the nose trim and stock bumpers and you're pretty much there, there's not much missing from the body shell. The problem is the '41 nose trim and rear bumper have a really cool art-deco style block-type "Americar" stamped into them, would be really hard to engrave on a scratch-built item, but could do it with decals instead, they were filled with red paint on the 1:1.  The Americars were pretty weird bone stock, they extended the wheelbase along the way and didn't change the rear sheetmetal, so the rear wheels aren't even centered in the fender openings on later years. Interior is really simple and plain, just a smooth bench seat and plain door panels.  They were cheap, basic, simple, almost disposable cars, which is what made them into great race cars.  I'd still rod it up a little, put something with some oomph under the hood and some hot rod wheels on it...  Yeah, I'm seeing it now...  Hmm...    

#55 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Here's a pic of a stock one for reference...don't think I've seen too many photos of stock ones.

1941-1942-willys-americar-1.jpg

#56 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

23304ce03dcd53a96.jpg1938Willys_01_700.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 04 March 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#57 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

UGH...  The pre-Americar years were just plain ugly...  37 and 38 were voted "Ugliest Car in America" at the New York Auto Shows of those same years. 

#58 Brett Barrow

Brett Barrow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

Neat article about a bone-stock '41 Americar -

http://www.oldcarswe...ne-stock_willys

#59 iBorg

iBorg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

Stock?

I thought they all had a 392 from the factory.

#60 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Found a pic of a '37..neat front end that year.  Body looks much the same as the '40-41.

1937%20Willys-Overland.jpg

'39 is pretty cool also, reminds me of the Graham

39-Willys-Overland-Deluxe-DV-11-GC_a01.j

Edited by Rob Hall, 04 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.