#21 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

OK I can finally post some updated progress pictures on this project.  The chassis is completely assembled.  The engine is in, the wheels are on and all 4 touch the ground......  wooohooo.  I brush painted the hubcap centers with the Duplicolor Dark Green Metallic body color.

CHASSISBOTTOM1024x747_zpsb3a27a0a.jpg

WHEELSampENGINEMOUNTEDONCHASSIS1024x739_

ENGINEMOUNTED1024x699_zpsfe896691.jpg

I finished detailing the dashboard.  The upper part is painted the Dark Green Metallic and the bottom is White.  I glued on the gauge faces and the radio face from BestModelCarParts (cutting them out was a chore..!!).  I then glued on PE metal trim rings for bezels on the round gauges and next I applied small drops of clear epoxy for lenses.  For the center Speedometer I glued on the tiny black & white gauge face and then flowed some clear epoxy over and around it with a toothpick to make the clear domed cover.  It's not "perfect" but it's the best that my almost 66 year old eyes could do using an Optivisor..!!

DASHBOARDWITHGAUGES1024x752_zpsc6d29bed.

Today I'll finish assembling the interior.  The body has been primed and I painted the roof, side coves and rear panel Duplicolor Arctic White.  I'll mask that off and apply the Duplicolor Dark Green Metallic to the rest of the body, hood and continental kit pieces.  I'm on the "home stretch" with this build.  An all time world's record for me, as this is the 10th model I will have finished since last years' NNL East Show...!!!

Thanks for looking in. 

#22 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Looks great, Rich.

I can't remember if you have an airbrush...but those one coat paints are twice as nice decanted and shot through one instead of straight from the can. The mix with each other well, too...I've got a couple new tones out of experimenting that I'll be using on future projects.

#23 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Dang it Rich!!! Your getting me in trouble with the wife here with all these cool looking builds!!!

Now she is asking me "why can't you build them that fast so they aren't sitting all over creation in pieces???" :lol:

Looks like the beginnings of another great build! B)

#24 scalemodelworld

scalemodelworld

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Full Name:Troy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Wow Rich, what a great looking build. Like you, I'm getting to spend a solid 5+ hours a day building these days (thanks to Long Service Leave), so I've already churned out 3 builds this year!

#25 slownlow

slownlow

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Full Name:bob maloy

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Looking good! Soon you'll really test that optivisor with the BMF.

#26 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
  • Full Name:John V. Agugliaro

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I can't wait to see your interior Rich. It's always a treat when you start flocking around. Maybe this will motivate me to finish mine.

We'll see it at NNL, right?

#27 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,378 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

That dash looks great!

#28 codie27

codie27

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Full Name:Codie Lawrey

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've been waiting for an update on this one. Say what they will about the Edsel I reckon they were beautiful. This is looking very nice so far.

#29 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Thanks again for all the great comments everyone.

Christopher, no I don't have an airbrush.  To me they are like too much extra work, plus I'd have to get a decent compressor, etc.  It's easier and quicker for me to just use rattle cans.  Like I said though, I'm DONE with the Testors One Coat paints and will stick with Duplicolor which never lets me down (so far anyway...).

Johnny, tell your wife that if you could spend 4 to 5 hours each day at your workbench, you too could probably knock them out quicker too.

Good for you Troy.  It's great being able to spend all the time you need or want to at the workbench.

You're right Bob, it won't be too long and it will be time for the BMF chores... and yes I will be using the Optivisor.  No need to test it... it works GREAT..!!

John, stick around man.  Here are pictures of the finished interior that I put together today.  Yeah I'm thinking that I'll probably be bringing it to the NNL along with about 6 other models that I've finished since last years NNL.  You've GOT to finish SOMETHING to show at the NNL John...!!!

Thanks a lot Harry.  Thanks to the Optivisor I was able to do a pretty decent job on it.

Thank you Codie.

OK gang, here are pics of the completed interior...

FINISHEDINTERIOR11024x763_zps8d50aff6.jp

FINISHEDINTERIOR21024x653_zpsa63f3e29.jp

Now I'm just waiting for the White paint to fully dry on the body so I can mask it off and shoot the Green.  All the paint work should be done by this weekend.  We're supposed to be having nice, 50 degree weather here Saturday and Sunday so I have my fingers crossed for good painting weather.

Edited by Ramfins59, 07 March 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#30 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Nice!!!!! Like I said, always a treat!

I've been having such a hard time getting back into it...... I have a million ideas and a separate well stocked hobby room, and I can't get started. And here's the punch line: I'm still buying stuff.

Geeeez......

#31 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Very nice work Rich. That engine really pops and the interior looks great too!

#32 FASTBACK340

FASTBACK340

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, Rich can do an interior right. Great choice of colors.

#33 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Thanks John and Dan.  I've been lovin' doing model interiors for almost 18 years.  I learned the use of flocking from a LIARS Club member named Ron Minn.  Ron used to say that you can't use more than one color of flocking or the colors will run together.  I proved him wrong many times.  

I always try to get good reference pictures by Googling the particular car I'm working on, unless I'm doing a Custom or a Street Rod, then I just go with what I think looks good together.  Obviously you have to do all your painting and BMF work on the interiors BEFORE applying the flocking, and of course let the paint fully dry first. 

#34 Grant

Grant

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Full Name:Grant Powers

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Wow! That interior looks great! Love the flocking!

#35 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,403 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Rich, very nice progress. The interior looks great....

#36 XJ6

XJ6

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Full Name:Don Veihle

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

That interior is very impressive...Good Job...

Cheers..Don

#37 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:48 AM

Thank you very much Grant, Carl and Don. I appreciate your encouraging comments.

#38 IMPALA SS 427

IMPALA SS 427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Full Name:James Chapman

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Its coming along nicely, you do great work.

#39 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Thank you James.  I appreciate your encouraging words.  I'll be spraying the Green on the body this weekend.  Looks like I'm close to the home stretch on this build.

I'm ready to start the NEXT one in line for '58.  I received an IMEX '58 Caddy in a Trade with Forum member Dan Helferich.  I'll most likely be checking that out while waiting for the paint to dry on the Edsel.

#40 ChevyCoupe41

ChevyCoupe41

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Full Name:Matti Tirronen

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Looks really good. B)